SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Looking for good trees to plant

butterflymomok
11 years ago

I recently bought 2.5 acres of land near Lake Bixhoma, and the property needs some more trees (and lots of work)! There is a small house on the property, and some out buildings. The previous owner had planted some maples which died last summer. The soil is good, but there is rock not too far from the surface. It's also on top of a bluff, where there is lots of wind. There are two magnificent Post Oaks that are over a hundred years old. I bought a Burr Oak sapling from Marilyn at Wild Things. I want to plant natives--there are woods and a pond behind the property. My goal is to grow berries, veggie garden, and create a butterfly habitat/meadow. It can handle quite a few trees, and I'd need to get them small and inexpensive. Prefer drought resistant varieties. I'm open to suggestions. There is Bixby city water available. I have a shallow well jet pump which brings the water up to level and provides pressure. I'm looking into rain collection/cistern (got a good metal roof on the pole barn) to use for the garden and berries.

Thanks for any advice.

Sandy

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus