SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daphnexduck

What's your big success for this year

17 years ago

I wanted to share two success stories from my garden this year - and I'd love to hear about yours.

My first one is my Nelly Moser clematis. It's growing on the north side of my garden shed, and has done nicely the last two springs. This year, one of my garden helpers told me of a tip he got from another gardener...to cut Nelly down almost to the ground after she finished blooming, give her some fertilizer and keep well watered, and she would bloom again. The flowers were gone, the leaves and vines were drying up (as usual with the hot weather), and so I tried it, figuring I'd have nothing to lose. Well, it worked!

Nelly started sending up new shoots, put out a second flush of blooms, and STILL has flowers, even with the early frost and all the rain and wind we've been having. So much for all the 'expert' pruning tips and advise re 'old wood' and 'new wood'.

My other success isn't as spectacular, but is just as satisfying. I have a nice bed on the north side of my house, next to my front door. I've re-dug and re-planted it several times, and never seemed to get plants to thrive there. This spring I planted four Brunnera (varigated). They have grown nicely and still look good. The cold snap didn't seem to slow them down at all. I am delighted that they will look good most of the year. Brunnera are pricey so I've been hesitant about buying them, but I bought them on sale last fall and I'm very happy with the 'bang for my buck'. I'm looking forward to their lovely blue flowers this spring, surrounded by grape hyacinth, western (fringed) bleeding heart, and a few ferns. And two new Daphnes, of course.

Daphne in Tacoma

Comments (30)