SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mokitty_gw

What can I do right now?

11 years ago

Hello all,

I just recently moved to a new home in the Duvall/Carnation area of WA state (zone 8, according to the USDA hardiness map). We have three acres. We are in the foothills of mountains, and we get quite a bit of rain this time of year, and will be getting snow soon.

My questions is what can I do right now to prepare for the growing season(s)? I am a novice-level gardener, but I would like to grow a considerable vegetable garden. I'm interested in trying out the hugelkultur techniques as we have a lot of wood on our property. What should I be doing in terms of preparing and fertilizing soil? We have started a compost heap, but that won't be usable for some time (and I hope to start vermicomposting at some point, too).

Is there anything that I can actually grow this time of year? I would also like to plant various flowers and aesthetic plants on our property, as well as creating the vegetable garden.

I also have a large pond on the property, too (there is more info and some pics about that in the pond gardening forum).

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?