SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

New England Fall Swap and Gathering

diggingthedirt
16 years ago

It has been duly motioned and promptly seconded; here's the new thread.

Fall Swap and Gathering at Mayalena's, Newton MA

Sat, 9/15

Swap starts around 9 am

Festivities may move to GITH after swapping; please see their site for details of the activities there.

Dinner is planned at a local restaurant for anyone who iss interested!

Sun, 9/16

Members-only sale at Arnold Arboretum

there ... that's a start ...

Comments (59)

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hi Greening: I have Samovor
    I always think of tigerlilies as Hemerocallis, and the beetles don't bother them anyway. So is Sweet Surrender Lilium or Hemerocallis? I'm going to look it up anyway.
    Marie

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

Is a lilium. After all these years thinking 'tiger lilies were generic daylilies.....Got to love that latin.

• Related Discussions

Fall plant swap in eastern MA???

Q

Comments (37)
    I think we're going to need at least 2 threads, including one for what people are bringing or looking for. If nobody objects, though, can we keep both on the 'discussion' side, and not bother with the 'exchange' side? There's really no advantage to using the exchanges for an event like this, it's meant for individuals to post plants they're going to share as individuals. Our posts about what we're planning to bring will be more of a discussion, like any other discussion, with the occasional summary that someone or another may spontaneously write up.
    ...See More

NEW: Its time again-fall spectacular Seed Swap-2005

Q

Comments (110)
    I would like to thank you from my heart to Willy and to everyone who participated in this round robin... It's been a pleasure to received the package and learn about the different seeds... Willy... you are really a great person... and ohmygosh I can't even imagine how much work it is to do this... God Bless you! Diana
    ...See More

NEW: New Back to School-Fall 2012 Fresh Seed Swap Everything

Q

Comments (69)
    A reminder to all to post a Rate & Review for Willy. I can't beleive he has only 8 (and 2 are from me). Please take the time. He deserves recognition for all he has done for us. Thanks
    ...See More

NEW: New Fall Neighborhood swap Tropicals

Q

Comments (83)
    Whats up peeps! Oh how I missed you all! Chell happy happy to see you back... Good to see your new profession... I hope no poop hangers like my Yorkie poo and Maltese...hahhah I am cracking up..:) I need to shave them... big cracking up......hahahhah I wished I could have joined life sometimes gets in the way.... Big time! Smiling now I think hahahh Gotta look in a mirror.... Cracking up again... At least I am laughing again.... I miss all of you alot you all will never know how much! Peace and quiet is good for me though hahahha I talk too much.... Hahahhah Well wanted to send smiles out to you all my friends! Love you all... Ps always send a smile hahahah Barb
    ...See More
  • lise_b
    16 years ago

Marie, I've heard the generic orange daylily (what others call "ditch lilies") called a tiger lily, so it may not be the most common usage but you're not alone. *g* Latin to the rescue! Sweet Surrender is Lilium as you say. (Very pretty, too, but unscented.)

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Although mayalena is off galavanting this month, plans for the swap are going ahead. There have been some new voices on the forum, I hope they all know that they are invited to participate! If you have no plants to swap, just bring some cookies ... or something like that.

Greening, I have a lot of caryopteris, but I'm not able to come to the swap. Maybe I can send them up somehow ... any other Cape Codders going? If I'm going to be near Boston later this month, I could drop them off somewhere. I have some butterfly bush for Geo's friend, as well (although I think Katy has that covered already too). I really need to get things into pots and out of the overcrowded gardens.

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

are there any butterfly bushes looking for homes? Any orange asclepius?
    thanks,
    marie

• runktrun
    16 years ago

Could those folks who are even slightly considering attending post here as I would love to have a better idea of what zones people are coming from. That way I won't be burned at the stake for bringing too many tender plants.
    marie,
    I believe Ego will be off visiting exotic lands so I have plenty of butterfly bushes but they are just seedlings.
    dtd,
    I would be happy to transport your goodies to the swap but before I can firmly commit I need to coordinate ferry resv. and SIL flight plans.

• terrene
    16 years ago

I am looking forward to coming. After having a pretty serious accident in late June, I am starting to get a little active again.

So I can dig up some of the following if anyone is interested.

2 Salvia East Friesland for Greening

Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet' (Swamp milkweed) seedlings - surprising vigorous and drought tolerant - this cultivar has white flowers, and I have no idea what color the seedlings are

Here's the mother plant:
    {{gwi:452049}}

Hosta plantaginea divisions - very fragrant white flowers, just starting to bloom now.

Peony divisions - don't know the cultivar, but it has light pink blooms with a little dark red edge. I have too many peonies planted by the previous owner and there are four of these. The foliage has a LOT of powdery mildew right now. The flowers look like this:

{{gwi:1087662}}

Also could dig up small Gray Dogwood or American Mountain Ash

Have lots of Vinca minor

I might think of something else, but this will be enough digging I think!

I would be interested in most any native perennial/shrub or cultivars.

• runktrun
    16 years ago

Is anyone in need of a Scotts Speedy Green 3000 broadcast spreader it is in working order I just some how wound up with two and don't have room for it??
    or how about Kalanchoe prolifera is a giant species from the island of Madagascar, home of many oddities, this being no exception. I can't find any figures on how big this plant can get, but one ours is is at 8' and heading for the greenhouse ceiling, a 'Pregnant Plant' gone berserk. Inch and a half thick jointed stems are waxy, as are the opposite pairs of fleshy, succulent leaves. Terminal inflorescence of yellow flowers from dangling four-sided box-like bracts yields a multitude of plantlets, and gives the plant the common name Blooming Boxes. Zone 10 or greenhouse only..

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Oh, does anybody need a compost / soil sifter? It's about 2' x 2' with a 4' long frame to set it up in a sort of triangle shape. This is for some heavy duty sifting!

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

greening:
    I would so love a compost sifter! I have some monster that I can barely pick up and is a lockjaw risk. What do I have for you?
    marie

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Marie, if you just take it, that will already be an enormous favor to me. *G* Be warned, this one is pretty big too-- I'll take a picture and email it to you privately so you can check it out.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Count me in!

I should have:

White Siberian Iris (no name)
    Hosta 'Green Fountain'
    'Gold Standard'
    green hosta with thin gold margin (the name escapes me now)
    Geranium macrorrhizum
    Dicentra spectabilis (old fashioned bleeding heart - pink & white)

I'm sure there's more, once I get out there with the shovel!

I also have plenty of lily of the valley, orange daylilies (single & double) and vinca - I won't bother bringing these unless someone specifically asks for them, so speak up!

Greening, is Veronica 'Minuet' the light pink one? If so, I have some for you - my yard is just not sunny enough.

I'm looking for:

carex
    small hosta
    sun-tolerant hosta
    Ajuga 'chocolate chip'
    smaller shrubs tolerant of part shade

I can also bring cuttings of fuchsia & coleus if anyone is interested in overwintering them. I have several brugsmansia too, but I can't bear to cut those yet - they are just coming into their own! If you are interested & local, see me at the swap and I'll keep you in mind in late October to early November, when they have to be cut to come into the house. It easy to overwinter cuttings in a vase of water and plant them up in the spring.

I also have a Rosa Bonica that is 4-5 years old and just not performing for me, again a sun issue I suspect. It might be better to dig this in early spring, but I know next to nothing about roses - if anyone wants it and you think it will survive the winter, I'll dig it out, cut it back and bring it.

Newbies and others, please come - I just want to find homes for my extras! Please don't worry if you have nothing to swap, come for the chat & leave with a carful of plants.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

-Wendy

• sedum37
    16 years ago

I wish I could come to the swap. Sounds like a great time! But that weekend I'm going to the garden conservancy open days in Connecticut. Looking forward to seeing Sue in Ct's garden (vtskiers). Plush other gardens including Steve Silks garden. And a trip to Logees on the way home...

Sue

• lschibley
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Since runktrun asked anyone thinking of coming to post here I will, though I don't think I will make it. I have two young kiddos and I would need to figure out how to swing a day of babysitting for them. But if I manage it, I would love to attend. I'm not sure what I would bring. I'm mostly a newbie trying to fill spaces. To tell you the truth I have never ever even divided a perennial. It intimidates the heck out of me, though I know I will need to learn soon.

Anyway, thanks for being so considerate of a newbie with not a lot to contribute. I've always felt very at home in this forum.

Lisa

• lise_b
    16 years ago

Lisa, if you can swing the babysitting, you can contribute by giving plants good homes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a lot readier to give up on something that's just not working if there's someone else who could use it, instead of just tossing it on the compost heap. :)

As for dividing, if you could see all I've put my plants through, you wouldn't be afraid anymore. *g* Basically, as long as you water well for the two weeks afterwards, you can do anything you want almost any time you want. I divided and transplanted tons of stuff this July (!) and the only thing that didn't make it was some creeping phlox that I totally forgot to water... oops.

• arbo_retum
    16 years ago

Kt- are coming to mainland for garden swap? We will be away that wkend for a wedding in maine, but I would really be pleased if you and your cohorts could come and see the gardens. Were 15 min. north of downtown boston, if thereÂs little traffic, just a mile off rt 93, 5 min from rt 93/128 intersection, ½ hr north of newton. Might you come by?
    mindy.
    btw, KT, i lost your new email address. plse resend to me!

**** PLEASE COME VISIT THE GARDENS ****
    **AT THE COTTON-ARBO RETUM IN WINCHESTER**

The 20 year old Cotton-Arbo retum is located around a residential
    1/2 acre property in Winchester. Wishing to share the gardens with everyone,the owners have opened them permanently to the public 24/7 May through October of each year. The gardens are made up of a series of intensely planted garden rooms, linked by a series of sunken paths, ponds and waterfalls. Foliage guides the aesthetic, with great emphasis on Japanese maples, conifers, deciduous trees and shrubs. Herbaceous peonies and non-bearded iris have a strong presence in the perennials, accompanied by thousands of varieties of perennials, vines and ornamental grasses. There is a rustic shade hut and five waterfalls and ponds with sitting areas.

With the changes in foliage and flowers, the gardens look quite different every two weeks or so. Peak bloom times are May, Mid June and September.The gardens were created to provide a beautiful quiet respite for everyone to enjoy. Feel free to bring a picnic lunch, or a book, or a dog (we love animals)!! We are often working in the gardens and are happy to answer questions.
    The Cotton-Arbo retum is open to the public, sunrise to sunset, daily,
    May through October. 597 Washington St. 01890

Directions to the Cotton-Arbo retum:
    Take the Montvale Ave. Exit off Rt. 93 (1 exit south of the 93/128 intersection.)Turn west, towards Woburn and away from Stoneham.Go one block to the lights at Washington St.(WendyÂs on the corner.)Turn left and go 0.6 miles to us. Please park next door on Sunset Rd. or Andrea Circle.

Enter the gardens through the driveway.

***Remember: OPEN EVERY GATE!!! Nothing is private except the house.***

For further information, www.cottonarboretum.blogspot.com

~ The Way To Have What We Want Is To Share What We Have ~

• ego45
    16 years ago

Very regretfully I have to inform you that I'll not able to attend gathering.
    Work duties calling for business trip to China and HK from 9/9 to 9/17. I've tried to reschedule the trip or work out some logistics to deliver promised hydrangea to metro Boston area, but not succeeded in either task.
    However, by feeling sorry and guilty I'm making pledge to come to your next spring swap and bring everything promised. To your benefits those ground layered hydrangeas will be much larger and stronger by next spring, will be ready to go into ground immediately and should bloom the same year.
    Have a great swap and gathering!

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Just to tempt you to go see Mindy's gardens, here are some photos I took last year in June.

Sue

• arbo_retum
    16 years ago

sue, thank you sooo much! i had not seen these before! i have many of the same views that i have taken in the past- so we see alike! maybe this winter i'll get around to organizing and posting photos- at least i now have a digital camera with some photos logged in....
    thank you again,
    mindy

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Just back from a month away, and after I catch up on life, I will read thru this post and figure out what needs to be done before the swap. I'll be sending out directions to the swap, etc., later this week!
    Best,
    ML

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

It saddens me to say I wont be making the swap this fall, but I am really hoping that I will be able to join in on the spring one. I still cant get around with out someone driving me, and my hubby works on the weekends.

Have a lot of fun, and I hope to read all about it !

• mayalena
    16 years ago

OK -- time to get organized. So far, attendees are:

idabean
    runktrun
    greening
    terrene
    sunshineboy
    jardinista
    cloud9
    wendy2
    lschibley

I have working email addresses for idabean and kt. I have attempted to email thru their member pages Greening, Terrene, Cloud 9 and Wendy2. There are no email addresses on the member pages of Sunshineboy, Jardinista and Lschibley.

So -- check your email, and if you don't hear from me (or I don't have an address for you), please send an email to me at fallswap07@hotmail.com, with your member name in the subject line. I will email directions to my house at that point!

Still planning to meet at 9am on 9/15. Please plan to drive down my driveway (skinny, downhill), turn around, drop off plants, drive back up and park on teh street. Hopefully, someone will stand at the top of the driveway and help direct!

I will provide coffee and nametags. Please bring something munchy!

Please bring any garden books you might like to clear off your shelves.

Those who want to can proceed to GITW after we swap -- about 30 min from here. Then, I am hoping to go on to Elm Bank from there. I would be very happy to give a ride to anyone who wants to visit both places. You can leave your plants here in the shade? I have not reserved dinner, as I think maybe there is little interest.

I'll post plants I will have to share ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the 15th!

ML

• malorn
    16 years ago

I can't make it..but if anyone has any xtra in my area (down on the cape)..I'll take it..I've lost just about everything (illness) so I'll take anything...

thanks Mary

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Malorn, I won't be at the swap either, but I have lots of plants to share, and I'm in Falmouth. If you'll email me (through my members page) I'll send you a list. If there's anything you're interested in, maybe we can set up a time when you can swing by and pick up a truckload or two of plants. My taste runs towards rampant self-sowing plants, but there may be something here you'd want.

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Hi swappers.

Still waiting to hear from Sunshineboy (Greg), Jardinista, Lschibley, and Terrene. Please email me at fallswap07@hotmail.com, so I can send directions to the swap. I'll page you in a new thread if I don't hear from you by Monday....

Plants I have to offer:

scabiosa ochroleuca -- some say looks weedy, and definitely reseeds like mad, but blooms a pale, creamy yellow from June thru October and goldfinch love the seeds. Likes full sun, tolerates dry, and looks great with blues.

nepeta 'six hills giant' -- i haven't watered this plant all summer, and it's doing great! bees love it. rambling, soft, grey-green foliage, soft blue blooms all summer. I've divided it a million times, and it seems happy as can be.

helianthus max 'santa fe' -- it's 8' tall at present, and heading into bloom time, so I wonder if it's wise to try to divide? I get the feeling it might be hard to kill? From High Country Gardens. Haven't watered it once. It's the biggest, latest bloomer in my garden, tho it does tend to flop. Any interest in it?

heuchera -- can divide a variety of purple-leaved heuchs

salvia nemorosa caradonna -- divisions of another long, long bloomer that likes full sun, but needs a smidge more moisture than the scabiosa. Dark blue spires with purple stalks, starts when peonies bloom (looks great in bouquets with them), and if deadheaded, continues til Oct.

raspberry wine monarda -- spreader -- a monarda -- what can I say? Attracts lots of insects, likes a little water, tall, not floppy, only mildewy in wet summers, a pinky-red bloom -- but not as exciting as catalog descriptions. I think I'll add some of that new yellow echinacea nearby next spring, and that should make it prettier.

Eupatorium chocolate -- I won't make this available unless someone asks for it as I find it reseeds too heavily, and the babies all revert to green leaves. That said, the foliage IS a nice purpley-green, so I haven't eliminated it. I do try to cut off buds to eliminate any possibility of reseeding. Needs afternoon shade or wilts like mad at my house, tho siting has been the subject of many debates on this forum.

Spiraea 'goldflame' I think. This plant provides so much value in my garden -- great yellow, chartreuse, red new foliage in early spring, followed by pink flowers. Cut back hard after blooming for another flush of colorful new foliage and occasional rebloom in the fall. Great fall color too. I am sure I can find a few seedlings to dig up. Not too heavily reseeding, tho....

Ajuga -- I think chocolate chip? It's just getting started at my house, but someone in the thread has asked for it, so I'll share.

Azalea -- 2 evergreen, mature shrubs, about 4' wide x 2' tall, blooms flamingo pink in the spring. Would be great in a spot away from other spring bloomers, as the color overwhelms everything else at my house! Also, a pain to deadhead....

Books: 4 or 5, some from idabean, that might be interesting to other gardeners!

Hmmmm....

Plants I hope for (I am being greedy, and would be happy to share with others too...)

Echinacea magnus
    Blue siberian iris
    Achillea -- 'coronation gold' or another cultivar that doesn't reseed too much
    hosta plantagea from terrene
    hosta blue cadet from idabean
    other hostas, geranium magnificum, dicentra, DOUBLE ditch lilies from wendy 2
    baby quince and veronica giles van hees (??) from greening

To Idabean: Have been researching asclepias. Sounds like it hates to be divided. I haven't seen mine reseed. If I can find babies, I'll share with you.

• sunshineboy
    16 years ago

Hey folks,
    I am excited to say I will be attending. I will email Mayalena so I can get directions. Regarding plants I have to swap, I have only a handful of things to offer (this whole gardening thing is new to me for the last 3 or so years). I apologize in advance, but most of my plants came to me unnamed, so unfortunately I can only offer descriptions of color/size/etc.

If interested, I can bring:
    purple siberian iris
    white siberian iris
    yellow bearded iris
    mixed bearded iris
    some hostas (tell me what you're looking for, I might have it)
    lily of the valley
    red monarda
    tall pampas grass
    short variegated grass (24 inches tall)
    tubers from scarlet canna lillies
    some hardy mums (red, I believe)
    tall phlox (white, pink, and lavendar)
    dianthus pinks

I also have a variety of vegetables (not plants) that I can share if anyone is interested. Hot peppers, bell peppers, cherry tomatos, eggplants, etc.

I also have a variety of seeds if anyone is interested in wildflowers (ie echinacea, black eyed susans, etc).

Im not really sure how the format of this swap works. Do I wait for someone to tell me they want something I have, or do I bring a variety of stuff and hope to trade it, or what? Im eager to place some faces to the interesting personalities that contribute to this site, and hopefully go home with a few plants that are new to me.
    See you on saturday, greg

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hello all :-)

I haven't posted before now, because I didn't think I could make it but thought I would wait until the last minute just in case things changed. Right now, it doesn't look like it. I wish I could, I would love to see everyone again. :-)

I did want to mention that asclepias is very easy to grow from seed. I winter sowed them the winter before last and they bloomed this year. I have some seed if anyone wants some, I can send them to you.

I will try again in the spring to get there. Hope you all have a great time!!

prairiemoon2

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

runtun, I see Mayalena listed coneflower magnus as a "want" (please)
    Mayalena, some nepeta six hills would be welcomerheliopsis Re:Santa Fe, but maybe we should wait till spring. Fall bloomers generally get divided in spring.But I'd love some then!

Is Hosta plantegea the one with the very late blooming short white fragrant flowers? Someday I'd love one, but really don't want to take yours, mayal.

I'll be scrounging around seeing what else can be pulled up

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Hi Greg! Glad to know you are around, and I am looking forward to meeting you on Saturday. As to format, it is really hard to set up trades beforehand. I just expressed interest in lots of things because I am so greedy! I am absolutely willing to forgo my requests and to share with everyone else. For what to bring, just bring some of whatever you are ready to divide or pull out of your own garden. If it is weedy or invasive, I think it's important to share that info with new owners!
    Waiting for your email,
    Mayalena

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hi all, I am definitely coming, and so far I have dug up:

Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet' seedlings - this is a vigorous and beautiful milkweed with white flowers, not sure what color the seedlings will be. Also host plant for Monarch butterfly.

2 Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland' for Greening

1 Saliva nemorosa 'Rose Wine' with pink flowers

3 Hosta plantaginea clumps - Yes idabean, these are in full blooms right now, tall white flowers and very fragrant. Very vigorous. You and mayalena can both have some, and I can even dig up more if anyone else wants some.

Here's what they look like:

{{gwi:1087663}}

I also plan to dig up and split the peony in the photo above. Anybody interested in a medium pink peony? I might think of some other plants too. Please note that some of the plants don't look so great after a summer of drought, powdery mildew, and insect damage!

I will take almost any native plant or cultivar of a native. Also I would love to have the following from what people are offering, if there are extras:

Echinacea 'Magnus' (this seems to be quite popular!)

Scabiosa ochroleuca (I got one from you Mayalena in Spring '06, it bloomed this year for the first time and it is REALLY pretty, plus the bees and goldfinches love it)

Raspberry wine Monarda

Eupatorium rugosum seedlings - will happily take 2 or 3 (mine has never reseeded)

All colors of the Phlox seedlings from Sunshineboy

A few miscellaneous Irises

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

HI:

I have irises that look terrible after a summer of neglect, but are def. worth nursing back to health for a season: I don't know if they will be lavendar, dark dark purple but they are beautiful.
    I have plain old eupatorium...tall Joe pye weed...want some?
    I have the raspberry monarda
    I don't have enough Magnus right now, but give them a start next spring and I will.
    I;ll look and see what else.

If that was me you were addressing above about hosta, yess thanks so much. It is the one I've wanted for a few years, but never got around to buying.

Whoeee! Big day coming up!

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Hi again everyone.

Did I mention that this is happening Rain Or Shine? If it's rainy (an impossible dream, I fear, but maybe our gathering will bring it on), we can move into the garage.

No plants will go unloved. Do bring your peony division, as I am sure it will find a nice home! I am encouraging another friend who is just starting a new garden to join us too.

• sunshineboy
    16 years ago

Hey Terrene,
    I also would be interested in some of the pink peonies.

Also, does anyone have interest in a small wooden decorative wheelbarrel? It looks cute with a pot of annuals in it, but its not really the look Im going for.

• mayalena
    16 years ago

No -- but I do have a barely used compost tumbler. The system just didn't work for me. From Gardeners' Supply a couple of years ago. I would LOVE to give it away!

• lschibley
    16 years ago

I can come. I can come! Babysitting was complicated by the fact that Sunday was my 2 yos bday party. Well, three families I was expecting won't be coming, plus my Mom agreed to take the boys overnight Friday night and I'll pick them up Saturday afternoon, which gives me plenty of time to get stuff done for the party AND make it to the swap.
    I do have some Knutia to share. Two plants. They are pale pink which isn't my favorite color so I figure I might be able to find them better homes. Should I pot up some black-eyed susan too? I don't know what variety I have but it is big and beautiful, blooms earlier than most ones I've seen and is still blooming now. It's a big self seeder. So I would have to warn everyone about that. I have some daisies too, but those are also pretty generic. Hmmm, what about Iris. My Dad gave me 10 very pretty Iris that he divided from his garden. They are bearded and very fancy, all different color combos. The first year they all produced blooms, but this year only one of them put up one bloom. Dad thought they might be getting old. Does that mean they needed to be divided again or are they just done. Anyway, if anyone wants them, I'd bring the lot. Irises aren't my thing.

Lisa

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Hi guys!

Mayalena, I'll take the compost tumbler - will it fit in the back of my station wagon, or should I comandeer DH's pick-up truck?

I have a small clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard" (I think that's it) anyway, it has dusty pink blooms. Is anyone interested?

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

-Wendy

• lise_b
    16 years ago

This rain is *great*... Thursday should be perfect for potting up.

Lisa, glad you can make it! Bring the irises; I adore them and will give them a home if nobody else speaks up. (I have plenty so I hope someone DOES speak up, but they won't go to waste. *G*)

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Yes! Rain! And everyone's contacted me so far, so I think we're all in! Definitely looking forward to potting up extras, now that they're not bone dry.
    Wendy -- I think you should commandeer the pickup, just because the frame would be a pain to disassemble. So glad you will take it, tho! Your clematis sounds lovely. Do you know what type it is? (1, 2 or 3 I think -- which indicates when they should be cut back??? -- I know nothing but what I've read....) If no one else is interested, I'd be happy to give it a home!
    And I am hoping for purple or blue siberian irises -- I think idabean and/or sunshineboy have some. Yay! I'm not really a bearded iris person.
    Any other details we need to work out? I think we don't need paper goods this year. I am anti-trash anyway....
    Best to all,
    ML

• terrene
    16 years ago

Yes the rain is really nice! I was watering for hours just to keep the flowers looking half-way decent with a few blooms for the bees.

Hi Idabean - I would love to have some Joe pye weed and also the Raspberry Wine Monarda from you or Mayalena (whatever's easier). I just love the color of that Monarda.

Lschibley - that's great that you were able to work out babysitting. What kind of daisies do you have, do you know?

I will take some Irises too, if it's convenient for people to bring them, in particular white Siberian as well as assorted bearded. Still have to dig up a peony or two, and that light pink one is a mature peony so it will be a hefty rootball (will probably divide).

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Mayalena, I bought that clematis when I was in my English garden phase and tried to grow it through a shrub rose. I later yanked out the rose, and thought I removed the clematis too, but it popped up again. Here is the info that Bluestone has on it - note that the color was not as bright as they have pictured.

• lschibley
    16 years ago

Mayalena - I haven't seen an email with address information. Did my email get through? My email address is lisa at zoompuppy dot com. Thanks!

Lisa

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa. I got your email and responded, but I'll send directions again! Anyone else missing directions?

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Everybody OK with directions now? Lisa -- maybe my email landed in spam? It's NOT from mayalena....

Desperately weeding, noticing all my dead plants, all my bad spots, and hoping you all won't notice! Please come prepared to help me re-envision my backyard.... I need some creative thinking!

• lschibley
    16 years ago

I got it, and thanks! I'm very excited.

Terrene - They aren't Shasta Daisies. They are one of the first bloomers in spring. White petals with a yellow eye. They aren't fancy, but I love them and don't mind that they reseed, but someone else might think they are a pest.

Lisa

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hey Mayalena, I'm just appreciative that you are willing to host the swap. I can relate to the bad spots in the garden. It would be hard for anyone's garden to look good after the drought we had this summer! Last year, I had spectacular zinnias all the way up until October, this year they are stunted and mildewy. Oh well...

Anyway the peonies I'm brings are really mildewy (but looked great in the Spring) and the Salvia has been completely chewed on by some bugs but has new growth.

Hi Lisa, I wonder if you're talking about a wildflower like daisy fleabane? I have those growing wild in my backyard. There are so many flowers people call "daisies" it's kind of confusing.

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have fun, guys. I'll be thinking of you swapping while I'm stuck in New York!

• sunshineboy
    16 years ago

Im saddened to say I cannot attend. My 3.5 year old girl got the gastrointestinal virus last night. So Ive had the pleasure of cleaning up puke all night. I cant very well leave her in this condition with a sitter today.
    So, my plants are all dug up and potted and my canna lily tubers are cleaned and dried. Im not sure where any of you swapppers live but I live in shrewsbury. If anybody lives near shrewsbury and has room to bring more plants, please respond. Or if anyone lives near shrewsbury and wants some plants during the next few weeks, let me know. Im sorry and bumbed. But, alas, I guess when it comes to health, families are allowed to take precedence over hobbies. Hope you all have fun....greg

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Did I mention RAIN or SHINE? Coffee and tea will be waiting!

Greg -- we will miss you. Anything in particular you want? I can hold things for you til you can come in to Newton if you like? Take care of that babe -- and get some rest. I definitely sympathize!

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Also -- KT is really swamped with a personal matter, and won't be joining us today. I know she is sad to miss the swap, and we are sad to miss her...

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

oh yes, kid upchuck. All over the bed, the pj's. Not leaving her with a sitter is one thing; driving from Shrewsbury to Newton with no sleep is another. Hope you got some naps in.
    Marie