SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

MA Fall Swap Sat Sept 13th

lschibley
15 years ago

Hi all,

I wanted to ask one thing. I don't really have a functional backyard, so I was imagining all the swapping would take place in the front. We live on a very quiet street, so there isn't much traffic, but there is some. Would y'all be comfortable with that? I don't want people to arrive and be put off by the fact that the swap space isn't perfectly private. I do have a large front porch and plenty of shade, so too much sun wouldn't be an issue. Let me know if that sounds fine with folks.

Oh, I have plenty of parking.

So to start here are my plants I imagine I'll be swapping.

Black-eyed susan

Clethra alnifolia - Summersweet - species, not a cultivar

Chocolate Chip Ajuga

White Creeping Phlox

Early Spring Blooming Daisy...maybe Oxeye Daisy

Coreopsis grandiflora - traditional yellow

That's all I have, I think. Can't wait to see everyone!

Lisa

Comments (72)

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Is anyone interested in houseplants at all? I have an Epiphyllum oxypetalum that I actually want to get rid of. It is just too big for me. I know that's their tendency and that they have gorgeous flowers, when they bloom, but I've had mine for four years and all it does is get bigger and more sprawly. The pot that it is currently growing in actually has rooted pieces that broke off. So whoever gets it will be getting four plants I think. I'm told that the flowers will be white, but I don't have the patience for it. I guess I prefer my houseplants small and tame. This thing is big and wild.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    15 years ago

dawiff: I would be interested in the Epiphyllum. I have a couple that I'm trying to get to bloom; might as well try for three.

Most of my houseplants are big and wild anyway - It gets crowded in here during the winter.

Claire

• Related Discussions

columbus ohio plant swap/potluck sat.sept.17, 05

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Diane,I was wondering if getting there at around 11:30 but at least before noon would be too late to come?My friend Sue won't be able to make it She is due to become a Grandmother for the first time any time now and is afraid to venture off.So I have another friend Jacquie who is coming with me and she doesn't get off till late early morning and we won't get on the road till around 9:30am or so and it's a good hour and half or better from here. So will I be too late? I sure hope not.Hope to see you all soon.
    ...See More

columbus ohio plant swap/potluck sept 17, 2006 fall 2nd

Q

Comments (109)
    Hi Beverly, To answer your Q?, I did go to Darby Creek Nursery,me and my friends went there after the swap. But they didn't have a good sale like they did last fall.We left there almost empty handed.But we had stopped at Shroders off of 71 on our way to the swap and before we got to the swap. They have some really good sales on their plants.That's where we bought most of our plants that day. On our way home we stopped at Seely's. I ended up buying 4 Hostas and Jacquie and her sister Bobbi bought 4 or 5. And we were loaded for bear.LOL I was in so much pain I couldn't hardly stand it. But It was fun.I couldn't unload my car and lucky for me I have some very able friends who don't mind helping or doing for me.Oh!! If I only Had My Legs Back!!! What's this Beverly about you having a Hosta Sale on the 30th? Did you sell them for a business or are they your own??Diane had emailed me with the info and date, But I didn't get the message till after the day of your sale. Sorry I missed it. Hope you did a good business!!! Hope you and Betty had fun at the swap.Fill us in on the Goodies you brought home!! Keep in touch!! Granny57 Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!
    ...See More

HAVE: have list for mag fall 2005: sat, october 15th, @ ssfs

Q

Comments (23)
    I have small quantities (damn drought!) of: Salvia guarantica (the species, cobalt-blue blooms, from cuttings) Salvia transylvanica (seedlings, will bloom next year) Tricyrtis latifolia (decent sized first-year seedlings) blue mophead hydrangea (not sure of variety, Niko maybe? gallon-sized plants from cuttings that should bloom next year) Columbines (seedlings of "Ruby Port" and "Nora Barlow," but as promiscuously as they cross I make no guarantees) Armeria maritima (sea thrift--pink blooms) Sedum "Vera Jameson" (from cuttings) Aster tongolensis (East India aster--divisions; this aster has compact foliage, blooms in late May) Geranium "Claridge Druce" daylilies (undistinguished seedlings, some tall in red/orange shades, some short yellows, probably Stella D'Oro offsprings) ditchlilies (could dig if anyone really wants them) Steven
    ...See More

HAVE: eastern ma fall swap

Q

Comments (34)
    Michelle, i just emailed you. Here is what I am bringing. They are all small but grow fast in my garden: -Jacobs Ladder - a few of small plants -Sedum Autumn Joy - 1 small plant -yellow Stonecrop (the ground cover kind) - 1 tiny plant -Strawberries -Chives -I hope to also pot up the Lamium tomorrow. This one really spreads but it is very pretty and makes a great ground cover even for full shade. Would anyone want some lawn fertilizer? I bought it but could only bring myself to use one application before going organic. I lugged it to a local swap in the spring and nobody wanted it so i had to lug it back!
    ...See More
  • sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

I'll be there. Since my garden is still new and very much in the formation/experimental stage, I will not have much to offer but I should have a few things to share. BUT...just like dawiff, I have a few house plants I would like to pass along. If anyone is willing to adopt a Corn Plant, please let me know, I have a forest of them in my house.

sooey

15 years ago

Is there any interest in white wood asters, Aster divaricatus, which are beginning to bloom now? Or does everyone who likes them already have 600, and everybody else hates them?

I also have a field full of some kind of wild strawberry - little white flowers that do go to berries which are gobbled up by the critters before I can get to them.

And then there's lily of the valley (which looks really ratty this time of year)....

Claire

15 years ago

It just occurred to me that I could dig some Hyacinthoides hispanica (Spanish Bluebell) bulbs, probably blue although there were some pink and white ones in there.

Claire

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

Indicating "interest" in any Hyacinthoides hispanica that happen to show up

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Claire, I am very interested in the Aster divaricatus. I have a fairly new bed that goes from dappled at one end to full shade at the other, and I'm trying to fill it with natives. Sounds like they would be perfect for that area. The Epiphyllum is all yours.

Speaking of houseplants I also have a Bowiea, a strange little houseplant that looks a bit like an onion, and puts out a long fluffy tendril. It has been slowly getting bigger over the last three or four years since I got it. It's very easy to care for, but it's another sprawler. Does anyone want it?

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Back from New Hampshire and ready to think about the swap. If enough people are interested in visiting Katsura after, I'll call John and see if we can get a full tour. Since it is a Saturday, we should probably arrange it in advance.

If you send me an email at lisa at zoompuppy dot com, I'll send my phone number, address and directions. Let me know which way you will be coming from!

Lisa

15 years ago

I'd be interested in a visit to Katsura if John is giving a tour. I might not go otherwise (too much temptation and my garden is full now). Has any thought been given to the start time of the swap?

Claire

15 years ago

I have several Viburnum dentatum seedling/saplings (3 to 4 ft tall) that I have to move anyway. If there's any interest I'll bring them to the swap.

These are not your compact fancy cultivars; they're the local wild strain that flowers and fruits in a very relaxed fashion. The seedlings came up in the wrong place and I moved them to a holding area. Now they're outgrowing the holding area. A nice shrub for a native shrub border/hedge.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I've got seedling oakleaf and 'tardiva' hydrangeas, and some seedlings of a ligularia with enormous, dark, mysterious, leaves with red undersides; will dig and pot if there's interest. Also have lots of lady's mantle, and maybe some first year foxgloves.

I'm a little pressed for time because I'm leaving town for an extended period on Sept 22, and have a ton of things to do to get my garden somewhat ready for winter before then, so I'll probably only dig things that I know people might want. Email me via my member's page if there's anything you'd like that I've blabbed about on the forum and haven't mentioned here.

Can't wait!
    DtD

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Claire, the viburnum dentatum seedlings would definitely find a home here in my garden. Do you think they will be able to cope with dappled shade? Or do they really need lots of sunshine? What kind of conditions do you have them growing in now in the holding bed?

DtD, if you've got the time, I've got room for an oakleaf hydrangea too. But if you don't get around to it because of your trip, don't worry.

15 years ago

dawiff: They should be fine in dappled shade - the wild ones are growing in thick underbrush in a pine-oak-cherry setting. My holding bed is part shade in the company of osmanthuses, ditch lilies, a rosa rugosa and siberian irises.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that I'm interested in the tour if that can be arranged. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably be relieved, to be honest, because I don't think it would be polite to get a tour and not stuff my car with plants from Katsura. (kidding)

Also, Lisa, I emailed you - let me know if you didn't get my message (ngalbraith). The web mail client I use lost at least 1 message today.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa, I tried to email you to find out the location, but there isnt an email addie listed on your trade pages, if you have a second, would you please let me know where you are located, I keep really wanting to come to a swap, but they are a bit far for me to travel !

I hope everyone has a wonderful time !

15 years ago

Sept 13 is getting close - any details on the swap (time, directions, food...)?

Claire

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Dtd, for some reason your member page did not show a link to email you. I would like to express interest in one of your ligularia if possible. Thanks!

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa

Looking to confirm the details of the swap for next weekend. Also, I emailed you for directions about a week ago or so but haven't heard back from you. Not sure if you got the email or not....

Can you send directions? You can email me through GW mail but I'll also try to resend to the email address you posted.

Thanks
    Michelle

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I've potted up most of my hydrangea volunteers: several (4? 5?) oakleaf babies, 1 h. paniculata 'tardiva' (I grow these as small trees, limbing them up, other people cut them back for a bushier effect), 1 with mop-head type leaves, probably a nikko blue, but .. who knows?

Also 3 or so ligularia dentata, and 3 salvia lyrata 'Purple knockout' (native, atypical of the salvia family, low rosettes of reddish foliage, flowers are nothing to write home about, at least in my garden, where they grow in pure sand in the cracks in our brick patio - but seeds are goldfinch magnets. I thought thyme2dig might like those because of the color of the foliage.)

I have 3 husky seedlings (2 or 3' tall) of Japanese snowbell tree (styrax japonicus) and will pot some if anyone is interested. It's a lovely small tree with a graceful, spreading habit, white flowers when you need them most (summer) and clean, glossy foliage.

Anyone need common thyme? It's become a bit of a pest here. I could also dig some sweet autumn clematis - I have no idea how it likes being moved, but it seems to be made of steel and, I need to remove a lot of it. (This offer only for people coming from colder zones!)

More to come as the digging gets going - weather permitting. Apparently we're in for it this weekend, so I may have to finally clean my house.
    Rudbeckia? Joe Pye weed (chocloate or otherwise)?

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

You're right! I would be very interested in a salvia. Thanks.

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all!

Sorry for being away from the computer this week. I'm sending off responses to all emails tonight with directions. Plus I think I will go through the list and identify plants with and without interested responses. Don't want anything to slip through the cracks. Look for another post soon!

Lisa

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok directions email is out.

If you didn't receive is please email me. lisa at zoompuppy dot com

I'll let y'all know if any bounce. I'm going to go through the plants on this list and see if any offers haven't been claimed, to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. Be back in a bit!

Lisa

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

perilla
    chocolate eupatorium- interest expressed
    rudbeckia
    Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'
    Clethra alnifolia - Summersweet - interest expressed
    Chocolate Chip Ajuga
    White Creeping Phlox
    Leucanthemum vulgare - Oxeye Daisy
    Coreopsis grandiflora
    asclepias incarnata "Ice Ballet"- interest expressed
    burgundy colored shade plant
    Anise hyssop - Agastache foeniculum - heavy reseeder- interest expressed
    Peonies - interest expressed
    -Siberian Irises - purple
    -Double Ditch Lilies - fluffy orange
    -Bearded Irises - purple and white
    Shasta, V. plicatum tomentosum -- interest expressed
    -Monarda Claire Grace - lavender
    -Monarda Coral Reef - coral - interest expressed
    -Phlox maculata (Wild Sweet William) - pink
    - Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata)
    stachys hummelo
    variegated sedum seiboldii (reverting to solid a bit) - interest expressed
    jack frost brunnera - interest expressed
    native ginger
    european ginger - interest expressed
    rose campion - interest expressed
    vitex- interest expressed
    Epiphyllum oxypetalum - interest expressed
    Corn Plant
    Aster divaricatus - interest expressed
    Hyacinthoides hispanica- interest expressed
    wild strawberry
    lily of the valley
    Bowiea
    oakleaf and 'tardiva' hydrangeas- interest expressed
    nikko blue
    ligularia- interest expressed
    lady's mantle
    foxgloves- interest expressed
    salvia lyrata 'Purple knockout' - interest expressed
    Japanese snowbell tree (styrax japonicus)- interest expressed
    sweet autumn clematis
    Joe Pye weed- interest expressed
    common thyme

Ok here is the list of everything mentioned in the above posts. I wanted to put the list out there so nothing would be missed. But I didn't want to associate names with anything, because I didn't want anyone to feel pressured that they had to bring something, just because they mentioned it on the thread.

I'll update this list as people finalize what they are looking for, or if I have missed anything, please post and I'll correct. BTW if you notice anything on the list that has an 'interest expressed' but nothing mentioned about it above, that's me :).

Lisa

15 years ago

"Shasta, V. plicatum tomentosum -- interest expressed
    I'm afraid I have to withdraw this offer. The viburnum was fine in early to mid-summer, but lately some of the leaves have been looking bad; maybe a rust.

I picked most of the bad leaves off (to go to the dump with some unpleasant peony foliage) but the viburnum is not in swappable shape. I'm hoping it's just the humid rainy summer coupled with a location by a retaining wall with poor air circulation. I'll move it somewhere more open and hope that it will be fine next spring.

Claire

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

Hens and chicks
    I'm redoing the bed where they lived and I can't really find a good place for them now.

If anyone is interested, I can bring them along.

• cleomelover
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa

I would like to attend the fall swap on Saturday, can you forward me the address/directions. I'm fairly new to gardening and to Garden Web and can bring some plants to swap although they may not be the most exciting. I have the following which I grew from seed:
    Monarda
    Rudbeckia Autumn Glory

plus a few others I don't what their name are!! I sowed a lot of seeds in the Spring and some have not flowered yet.
    What I enjoy the most is interacting with other gardeners and talking plants for a few hours!

Thanks

Margaret (Cleomelover)

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Margaret,

Can you email to lisa at zoompuppy dot com. I'm happy to send along directions. Can't wait to meet all the gardeners!

Lisa

• terrene
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa and everybody else, it's looking like I will not be able to make the swap. I've been up to my eyeballs with other things and after 5 months of gardening in high gear, I petered out in August. Well that, and I started raising Monarchs which completely distracted me from gardening!!

Hope the swap goes well!!

15 years ago

RE food: I can bring a box of pastries from the Blueberry Muffin in Cedarville to stoke the energy (and waistlines) of attendees.

Claire

• dawiff
    15 years ago

I'm planning to bring some food as well, and probably some paper plates. It looks like out of all the stuff I have to share, the only thing that's been claimed (ok, that someone has expressed interest in) is the houseplant, Epiphyllum oxypetalum. So I'm not going to bother digging any of the others, unless someone posts soon about wanting them.

FGirl, I'd like some hens and chicks. I don't think you even need to pot them, just dig them and bring them dry in a container or pot without dirt. I do have some edging a bed, but they don't seem to multiply very quickly. I'd love more.

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alison,

I have no idea how I missed your post when I went through to make the list, but my eyes must have skipped it. Anyway, I'd love a piece of the Barbara Mitchell and Autumn Joy sedums. If it is too late, no worries. BTW that clethera was the only thing on my list that anyone expresed interested in. I think the MA gardeners are getting picky!!!

To everyone - I'll make one more update to the list, so everyone knows what is desired and what isn't. If you have any interest in anything, please post, so people know what to pot up!

Lisa

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

I would be interested in Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'

Fgirl, were you ever able to identify the burgundy colored shade plant? I'd be interested in one of whatever it may be!

I'm interested in the perilla, but don't know much about it except that it is an annual. Would I just plant it now and let it self-sow? Does it readily self-sow in zone 5? Any info is appreciated.

Alison, I would be interested in a pink daylily, and Claire, I am definitely interested in a pastry!

Is a trip to Katsura on the agenda?

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I think we were all holding back on expressing interest after last spring's swap thread! Also, it seems most new gardeners who have room for old standards are probably not thinking about planting now.

Dawiff, I googled Cryptotaenia at last. Can you tell me if yours is the native, green canadensis, or the red-leaved japonicus? Both look nice, but I'm not sure if I have space for the taller native one.

T2D - yes, you could plant perilla now, or just leave it in a small pot without bothering to dig it in. They'll be setting seed soon, and will self-sow wherever they happen to be. I should admit I don't know how far north it would self-sow reliably.

I've got assorted perennials that I haven't listed that are already in pots; I'll just bring them and see if anyone can provide them a new home. These include one each of staples like mum, sib iris, caryopteris, & gold creeping jenny ... can't recall what else is out there.

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

I will confess..........anything that doesn't have a "taker" will definitely find a home in my yard. If you want it gone, I have a home for it. Dawiff can attest to the barren spots with plenty of room for plants (old standards included).

I even planted lots of Lily of the Valley years ago with hopes that it would take over as everyone warned. HA! I'm still waiting....

I completely forgot to find the name of the burgundy shade plant - let me go search but I'll bring some anyway. It's late developing reseeding annual IMHO. Let me find the name.

Alison - my hens produce LOTS of chicks so you should have some luck.

15 years ago

I'm wondering if we need a few folding chairs - I have a couple that live in my car's trunk and I'll bring them if I don't need the room for plants.

Claire

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Ok, I will get out there this week and dig up the Barbara Mitchell and the Autumn Joy sedum, and maybe pot up some of the NOID pink daylilies.

DtD, the Cryptotaenia is japonicus, with reddish leaves. I bought the mother plant last year at the Sister Plant sale, and it has self-sown in a few spots. The babies are still smallish. I didn't know there was a native one, I'll have to check it out.

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

Ooh, I would LOVE to have a Cryptotaenia japonicus, dawiff, if you can manage it. And next year I'm going to the sister plant sale, one way or another.

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

I can bring a folding table or two as well if they're needed. And of course something yummy to eat!

• bostongardens
    15 years ago

I'm so disappointed that I cannot attend. However, I have a big shopping bag full of Baptisia seed pods. Is anyone interested?

If so, with permission, I can drop them off at Michelle's (fgirl21) home on Friday. Would that be OK with you, Michelle?

~ Hilda

15 years ago

The latest weather forecast (Weather Underground) says

"Saturday
    Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning. Patchy fog in the morning. Humid with highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming northeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 50 percent."

Sunday is about the same. Are we still on for Saturday the 13th?

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

I'm looking forward to our swap tomorrow. I'm sorry that I will have nothing to offer from my 'almost' garden, but it will be nice to meet all who attend. Please let me know if I can bring anything, goodies, chairs etc. I also have a good sized corn plant that needs a new home. It's all ready to go if anyone is interested. Let me know and I'll try to fit it into my car.

sooey

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Weather.com is now predicting morning clouds/afternoon sun, so I'm hoping we're still on.

I have two Barbara Mitchell daylily divisions, and five of the NOID pink daylilies potted up, as well as three Cryptotaenia seedlings. I didn't get to the Autumn Joy sedum, the bees like it too much right now, and I don't like the bees. I'm planning to completely redo the bed it is in next spring, so I might bring it to the spring swap.

Here is a picture of what the NOID daylilies will look like when they bloom. They are all small fans, so might need even a couple of more years till they bloom.

{{gwi:1086936}}

Looking forward to the swap.

Alison

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    I think I sent a request for directions to the 'zoompuppy' address. It did not bounce back. If I come, I'm bringing some autumn joy.

Hope you don't mind my 'dropping in' nearly unannounced.
    Marie/Idabean

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I'm going to use waterproof ink on my plant labels (If I get around to writing them up!) and maybe that will help keep the rain away. I played hooky part of the day today and got most of my pot ghetto into the ground, so I'm looking forward to getting these remaining plants out of here in the morning.

Can't wait to see you all; some new faces and some oldies but goodies.

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

Oh my Hilda I missed your post! I'm so sorry!!!

• gfult
    15 years ago

Hi fgirl21,
    Will you please send me directions and timing?
    I have Ajuga, Chequers Lamium and Forget me not and sedum kamtschaticum.
    Lisa I thought I posted back interest in Brunerra and Euro. Ginger but I dont see it. If it wasnt me you were thinking of I will be on the waiting list!

• mayalena
    15 years ago

Wish I could join you all. Have fun -- and share the details later!
    ML

• fgirl21
    15 years ago

Emailed directions to you gfult

• lschibley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think lots of folks are on the road, but just in case anyone is worried, I have a fairly large front porch, and a useable garage. So we are on, rain or shine!

Lisa

• bostongardens
    15 years ago

Posted by fgirl21 on Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 21:13:
    Oh my Hilda I missed your post! I'm so sorry!!!

Dear Michelle,

Not to worry. Maybe they'll last until next spring? Hope you all have a wonderful time today!