SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginak08

is it too late to start these?

ginak08
13 years ago

I started some spinach, lettuce, kale, and broccoli in egg cartons in my house several weeks ago. I don't remember exactly when, because my husband has been in and out of the hospital since Jan 13. My life has been far from normal for the past several months.

Anyhow, my seedlings were doing fine but then my husband ended up back in the hospital on March 5th. He ended up having a major surgery the following Tuesday and I stayed at the hospital with him around the clock for several days after. My poor seedlings were neglected and wilted I believe, beyond revival. My husband is home now, and since he had surgery he should not have to go back to the hospital again for several more months.

My question is, should I bother to plant more lettuce, spinach, kale, and broccoli from seeds? or is it too late? Last time I planted them I used the coffee filter method to get them started, and I think the lettuce was the first to germinate, within a day or two.

Ironically, some of the seedlings seem to be okay most of my tomatoes pulled through, the peppers JUST started to sprout, and two kale seedlings seem to be ok.

I actually have some broccoli growing out front, I planted them (accidentally) last fall. I spilled a bunch of seeds and some of them started growing in the front flower bed. The largest one got killed by all the snow we had, but the others still look okay. I plan to just leave them there to see what happens... I don't need the flower bed just yet anyway, so they aren't hurting anybody. I am just amazed that most of the plants held on for that long through all this crazy weather. I also 2 accidental lettuce plants in the raised beds. They sprouted last fall and look good right now, although very small. I also intend to leave them until I need the beds just to see what happens.

I am determined to have a real garden this year, last year was my first try and my husband killed everything with turfbuilder. I just keep meeting with so much opposition... I am also pregnant and due in August, so I am hoping to have most of the gardening work done and over with by that point....

Comments (10)