SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May Beetles or June Bugs in March

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I feel like I'm in some sort of odd movie where life as you know it turns upside down....

Here in southcentral OK we've had lots of days recently with high temperatures in the mid- to upper-80s and the overnight low temps in the 60s. I know many of you in other parts of the state are experiencing similar weather.

It is odd having May weather in March.

Last night, I saw the first June bug of the season. Apparently it doesn't realize the calendar says "March" since the temperatures do indeed say "May".

My grandmother always called them May beetles, and they usually did appear in May, but my parents called them June bugs and that's what I call them.

Now that they are here in March, maybe I need to call them March bugs or March beetles?

The ones I'm talking about are the little brown scarab beetles that cluster around porch lights at night.

I know some of you in NE OK and eastern OK have issues with Japanese Beetles, which usually appear around the same time we have June bugs here in my county, which usually is in May, but sometimes in April, and this year in March. So, keep your eyes open because the beetles are out early, at least here at our house. Y'all need to get your traps ready in case the Japanese Beetles put in an early appearance too. I only see JB's here in tiny numbers....maybe 2 or 3 a year although I have a sneaking suspicion their numbers will increase over time as more of them work their way west.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: May Beetles/June Bugs

Comments (8)