SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hercules_gw

Off topic - Green June Beetle?

hercules
15 years ago

Hi All,

I realize there's a pest forum, but wanted to run this by you knowledgeable folks here on the veggie forum first. I'll try to be brief.

I've been gardening for many years here in PA, and also in northern VA for a few. A few weeks ago, a neighbor brought me a "bug" for me to ID...one that I'd NEVER seen before. With the help of the internet, along with my own books on insects, I've positively identified it as a "Green June Beetle", sometimes called a "Fig Eater" as I understand it. (I'll give you a link below)

Since then, this same neighbor brought me a coffee can with about 30 grubs in it....all taken from a small space in which he had some potatoes growing. In digging his 'taters, he collected these. The grubs were easy to identify...they were fairly large (more so than a Japanese Beetle grub), and crawled rather vigorously on their backs via hairy growths...another known and unique characteristic of the Green June Beetle. BTW, some of his potatoes had chunks eaten from them....coincidence??

Here are my questions, if you can possibly help.

1/ Why, after all these years, did this guy suddenly appear here in PA? (no one I know has ever seen one..even a retired friend who used to work for the PA Dept of Ag)

2/ Is this thing likely to produce hordes of offspring, like the Japanese Beetle?

3/ For those of you who know of this pest, what are the long-term ramifications of having this guy as a resident in your lawns and gardens?

One thing I forgot to mention was that, after the neighbor brought his first bug to me, I found 2 dead ones in my garden, too. (no, he didn't drop his off on me!) ~grin~

That's it folks...sorry this got so long. Any insight you are able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal in PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Green June Beetle

Comments (4)