SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantermunn

Potluck whith Plants Food and Accessories

plantermunn
15 years ago

WindSurferGirl and MrsFrodo

They mailed us the paper work this week. We are going to put in the reservation for the eighteenth from 12:00 to 3:00. I think those were the hours for the last swap.

Don't worry about bring plants. I am going to bring the same thing I always bring.

I might dig a peony if someone wants one and some tall reddish oranges cannas.

We always get plenty of food and Lynn is bringing the nametags.

Now we need to cover plates, silverware, napkins, cups, and anything I have not thought of yet.

Comments (72)

• Lynn
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

See the map link below. Will Rogers Park in Oklahoma City. The south pavillion is located on NW 30th just off of Portland. When you turn off N Portland onto 30th going east it is just a short distance. It is a rock building surrounded by chain link fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Rogers Park

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Not sure that we're going to be able to make it. DH is a postal carrier and works on Saturdays and usually isn't off until it's scheduled to be over. He's my driver lately :) Would love to be there and meet everyone, but will likely have to wait until next year.

On top of DH working, I have several upcoming doctors appointments regarding the surgeries I will be having, so I'm not sure what anything past the 10th holds at the moment.

So, take LOTS of pictures so those of us who can't be there can enjoy them!

Kathy

• Related Discussions

Plant Swap in Winter Park on Saturday, October 21st

Q

Comments (150)
    The plant swap & event planning have me in an "organizing flurry. I have secured' tables, thought out a sign/mapping/parking plan, dreamed about what I was going to cook and inventoried plant swap give-a-ways in my yard. I am going to have to ask you all to ignore weeds and maintenance issues in my yard. The list is attached. Please, let me know if I have promised you a plant and have forgotten. Plants in Pots Blue Ginger ( Dichorisandra thyrsiflora) Michael, Pat, Evelyn Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus) Green & Burgundy Michael Pineapple Mint (Mentha suaveolens 'Variegata')My cuttings may not be taking  some plant available for digging out Avocado, avocado-pear (Persea americana Miller - Family:Lauraceae) Susana Angel Wing Begonia (Family: Begoniaceae) Kate Lipstick Vine (Aeschynanthus lobbianus ) Jae, Evelyn Clitoria Vine (Clitoria ternatea) Ann H., Joyce, ??? Someone else, help me out, I have more seeds Heirloom Beefstake Tomato Mary Ellen Pineapple Guava (Acca sellowiana) Linda W. Ruellia (Ruellia brittoniana) Evelyn Salvia (Salvia coccinea) Evelyn Eucalyptus Citriodora Linda Red Mandevilla (Mandevilla splendens) Terri Up for Grabs at the Swap Sedum (Sedum spurium, I think!) And many more Sunflower (Helianthus maximilianii) you cut! Yellow Alder (Turnera ulmifolia) you dig! Rose Periwinkle (Vinca Rosea Apocynaceae) you dig! Coleus Cuttings you cut! Blue Sky Vine (Thunbergia grandiflora) you cut! Scarlet Milkweed Seeds Bright Pink and Yellow 4 OÂClock Seeds Whew! My 'word of the day' for yesterday was monomania. I think it may applied to me, of late, with plants on my brain. Ha! Again, please, let me know at disilkwood@yahoo.com if you plan to attend. I am NOT advertising my home address or phone number on GardenWeb for anybody in the world to see. I do promise to add you to my e-list (which I plan to Bcc messages to in the future) and give you updates and reminders. My photo for the day - Pagoda Blossoms Happy Gardening, Diana
    ...See More

Potluck whith Plant s. Chime In

Q

Comments (53)
    I've been trying to talk to some friends/family/co-workers into coming who don't currently post here. Once they meet you guys and find out what a wonderful resource this forum is for gardening I'm sure that will change. For anyone who has excess veggie plants, of probably any sort providing they can grow in southwestern Oklahoma, I know a young lady who will likely take them. Let me explain. I work for the Center for American Indian Health Research at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. One of our current projects is designed to help modify behavior in the Indian community, specifically in terms of diet and exercise, with the goal in mind to help reduce both obesity and diabetes which have been epidemic among Indians for many years. A young grad student working on this project decided last year to start a coummity garden in Anadarko and plans to do it again this year. Gardening is a new endeavor for her so she is learning as she goes. They have land donated for the use of the garden and some donated seeds. I've already promised her any plants I sprout and don't kill before time to plant them beyond what I will have room for in my garden. I'm sure she'd be happy to take about anything anyone has too much of. I've already mentioned the meet to her, and she seemed quite interested. I've also got two sisters and one other co-worker I've mentioned the meet to who seem interested in going. I'm sure once they all discover just how much valuable information can be had from this forum and how helpful and nice everyone is here we will get some new members! Debra
    ...See More

alert:: great deal on Cannas!

Q

Comments (7)
    I have already planted 48 from Atwoods and now you have made me ready to drive back to Vinita again!!!!! Shame on you!!! I am using cannas for a summertime block along the edge of our cove. We live in a very nice subdivision but there is a "Resort" park across from us and the lady directly across has 5 dogs that bark the whole time they can see me. Since I live in the yard this gets nerve racking. Anybody with lots of bamboo they want to get rid of? CAN'T WAIT FOR THE POT LUCK!!!!!!!
    ...See More

update: obf white elephant march swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Hello ladies and happy every Holiday I missed. To those of you who do know me, I am back and mentally back on track (I think). To those of you who don't, well I was I am a member, love everyone here. Went away to do some great mission work and had some very tragic things happen. Many hours of therapy later, and actually returning to the Dominican I think I have healed, I am not bitter, sad, or frightened to leave my house any more. I am able to talk about it and I feel that I can share with postive feelings now. But enough of that. Am I to late for April? Please tell me that I can play in April? Max is 4 and we just looked at Co-op preschool. HE is a mama's boy and didn't want to go to big boy school yet. Maryanne~ I have a box for you that I need to send, but um lost your address.. So Merry Christmas when it comes. Ahh. I just don't know what to say or who to say it to because I am scared I will leave someone out. I tried to read as many posts as my brain can handle, but I am sure that I will need some help. Babies and ornaments, tornados and ahhh.. I am not in Kansas anymore. Please feel free to email me with any personals that you'd love to share. I apologize for being gone so long. If there is anything that you want to know email me. If I need to re-join let me know if there is room. Mayanne_ my big sis.. I hope all is well, miss you and thanks for all your support thru this, even though I was a bad lil sis and became an introvert. But guess what? I am back and better. Missed you all Laura.... beans
    ...See More
  • rainyo
    15 years ago

This sounds like a great place to start. I'll do my best to bring some plants. This is my first year starting the veggie garden from seeds, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just joined today because I was on the hunt for as much information as possible about peonies. I've never grown them, but think they are really pretty and want to try growing some. I live on an acre that is pretty much a blank canvas right now and gets full time sun. My husband and I put in a small Koi pond last year and planted 9 trees to get started.

• devilwoman
    15 years ago

Providing either my sister or co-worker is available to go I should be there. I don't own a car so I need someone to play chauffeur.

If I don't kill them all between now and then I will likely have lots of seedlings, though nothing exotic, to bring. I hope to do some relocating of plants at my house before then so I will be thinning out some cannas, day lilies, and naked ladies. I know this is the wrong time of year to relocate these, but it can't be helped in part because I can't find them to dig them up during the correct time of year! If I were to bring some of these (day lilies, cannas, naked ladies) would it be best to pot them up first?

I live fairly close to the park so bringing food is not a problem. Anything in particular folks would like?

If anyone would like to see what the plants I will be digging up look like I can post pictures I took of them last year. I really have no idea what the variety names might be for most of them.

Debra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Our swap is now officially a "garden party" because we'll have lovely paper plates and napkins in a delightful shade of green with a floral border. I hope you gentlemen won't mind the flowers. I was going to buy plain white paper plates and napkins, but Costco had these lovely floral spring patterns sitting right there next to the white ones and I couldn't resist. : ) Our plastic ware is silver-colored plastic and looks rather elegant too--we have a huge box of it in our pantry because we use it for various family holiday dinners, fire dept. banquets and fundraisers, etc.

Debra, You don't have to pot them up. Just be sure the bulbs/tubers/roots don't dry out too much between the time you dig them and the date of the swap. You might want to put them in baggies with a little peat moss or coir or something that is slightly moistened to keep them moist, but I'd leave the bags open so they can have fresh air and don't stay too wet.

Dawn

• devilwoman
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dawn. I do have some sphagnum peat moss still so I can use that. If I can motivate myself to be really energetic on the 18th I could dig them up that morning, but at the most it will only be a week before the meet.

Debra

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clary Sage (cleareye)
    Salvia sclarea

I know this stuff grows like weeds in some places. I was very careful not to let mine get away from me. I saved seed after it bloomed they sprouted then did not make it. If someone could bring me a couple of sprouts I would trade about anything. It was 5 years old and I really miss it.

I am not sure a mature plant would transplant but the young ones will. I need a purple flowered one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clary Sage (cleareye)Salvia sclarea

• woodsmokeinherhair
    15 years ago

oh cool! I heard that this was going to happen again this year. I've been several times, and it is always a fun time, more about the people and the relationships with the food and plants coming in second :). I'll bring food and a door prize. Not sure about plants to trade, I can plant seeds inside, and they come up ..... but they never get enough light, or get too hot because of my woodstove..... I'm throwing all the seeds I started into the compost heap because they are yellow spindley looking things. One of these days I'm gonna have a greenhouse! .... (stamps foot)

I'll figure out something to bring to trade.

oh! and I'd like to get in line for some of the brugs too, pretty please. I have planted those seeds before, but never get anything back ..... dang, you don't suppose this means I don't have a green thumb do ya? lol. Surely not! I've got garlic and onions and broccoli and cabbage out in the garden doing just fine! lol. OK, so maybe I'm just a cole crops type of person .... *sighs*, lol.

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

Will bring what I can - what time do we start? Need to plan... will have to head this way again by one or two!

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The eighteenth from 12:00 to 3:00. I hope the weather gets better.

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

I hope we have some peeps liking lemon balm, as I potted up several.

Moni

• annbb
    15 years ago

I'm glad I checked the forum today, have been so busy outside that I haven't logged on in a while. I will bring extra day lilies to share, Fine Gardening Magazines to give away and food from the oklahoma food coop... maybe yogurt cheese or other cheese and crackers.
    Ann

• kathi_rogers
    15 years ago

Love daylilies and lemon balm - anyone like peonies? (Either pink, fuschia or white - luck of the draw! Also canna lilies and whatever is large enough from my winter sowing.

• Sandplum1
    15 years ago

Would anyone be interested in some spider lily bulbs?

• kathi_rogers
    15 years ago

ME - FOR SURE!

• laura_lea60
    15 years ago

Sandplum1!

I would trade you something for spider lilly bulbs! Have always loved those! I have tomato, pepper & squash plants that will be ready to go in time for the swap. Look forward to seeing everyone!

Laura

• njdjs
    15 years ago

ooooo spider lily's they are so purrrtttyyy...peonies are too and lemon balm is neat. OH I can't wait. This sounds like its going to be a blast.

plantermunn is there anything that is needed?? I will bring a cooler full of soda's,since I am coming from a distance. If there is anything else that is needed please let me know.My camera will be in hand too.

Okiedawn did you get cups? If not please let me know and I will pick up a bunch of them too. If there is anything I can pick up let me know and I will be glad to bring it.

• hank1949
    15 years ago

I just thought of something. If any of those coming from out of town might want to go to the OKC-OSU Farmers Market it is held every Saturday. It's about 2 miles straight south on Portland from the Pavilion where we're going to be. Unfortunately I don't know what the hours are going to be. The wintertime hours have been 10 or 11 am to 3 pm but the summertime hours last year were 8 am to 1 pm and I don't know when they are switching from winter to summer hours. Anyone in OKC know what hours the Farmers Market will be open on April 18th?

Just a thought.

Hank

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

From their website.

Welcome to the
    OSU-OKC Farmers' Market!
    The OSU-OKC Farmers' Market is open all year long!

The current market schedule is:
    Saturdays
    April 4 to October 31
    8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
    At the OSU-OKC Horticulture Pavilion
    400 N. Portland Ave. in Oklahoma City

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Njdjs, I got plates, napkins, cups and plastic eating utensils so we should be covered there. : )

I am bringing lots of angel's trumpets because so many people want them, and a whole lot of tomato plants too. I'll probably bring a few other flowers like small four o'clock seedlings and Malva 'Zebrina' if the fires stop long enough for me to pot them up. I may even come up with some cactus pads for Plantermunn. I'm bringing a couple of door prizes too.

If any of you work with a school garden or community garden and want LOTS of tomato plants let me know, and I will bring all my surplus ones....which means several dozen, and perhaps as many as 100 or more. Unless it rains like crazy here on Sunday, I'll probably put even fewer in the ground than I'd planned because the drought drags on and the temporary improvement we saw with the Jan-Feb rains has not been sustained and seems to be backsliding, so I have to be careful not to plant more than I can irrigate.

Dawn

• njdjs
    15 years ago

Thanks Dawn. I remember somewhere you said plates and utensils. OK since I don't need to get cups I will get some chips.Or if anyone wants me to bring something diffrent let me know.
    Not sure all the plants Rich is thinking to bring.

• shamaneyes
    15 years ago

Hello I am a newbie, but loving gardening. I was told today about this site and wonderful outting, I can't wait...my plants are just starting so am rushing to get some up , I have a lot of flowers and herbs, although i don't have a large piece of land my back yard is a garden of eden in the summer. I would like to bring my recipe (indian bread pudding w/ whiskey sauce)I live in south norman and have a van so if anyone needs a ride I am here 405-642-1224.

AngeLena

• shamaneyes
    15 years ago

Just a few of the herbs I have , echincea, tickweed, yellow pheasant's eye,anise hossops,bugle,garlic chives, hollyhock,french terragon, harebell,madagascar periwinkle, chamomile, saffron crocus, lemon grass, clove pinks, bronze fennel, strawberrys, hogweed, bluebell's, st johns wart, woolly grass, white dead nettles, mothers wort, spider wart, lupine, musk mellow, arrowroot, lemon balm, lemon verbena, pinapple-double-and chocolate mint,bergamot,catnip, sweet marjoram, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, pokeweed, balloween flower, patchouli, houseleek(hens & chicks)tansy, most are perennials

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would like to have some yellow pheasant's eye and st johns wart.

• njdjs
    15 years ago

OOOOHHHH shamaneyes never had or heard of indian bread pudding w/ whiskey sauce but that sounds good. Hope I get to try it.I was going to buy some hens & chicks yesterday but decided to wait.
    Going to try and get to OKC early to check out the farmers market. Thanks Hank and soonergrandmom for posting about that. Is there any great greenhouses in OKC that we should check out too? My other half wants to go to Toby Keith's resturant.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a few Hens and Chicks to swap.

We went to OHiggins on 23 st. in OKC yesterday they always had hens and chicks. They are closed. From the looks of things it will not reopen. Then the TLC in Mid West City closed.
    Then we went to Harra we had not been to that green house in a few years. It was blown downand had a for sale sign out front. I liked that one. I think they were the last place I have seen 6 packs of geraniums.

The best I could find were 1.25 singles at awful-mart. (We have a love hate relationship.)

I am about to do another order from Squaw Mountain Gardens. I got me a Jones for some new hens and chicks.

• shamaneyes
    15 years ago

some of my favore places to get flowers and herbs, and specialties....

1-Jordans nursery
    E. etawah rd and hwy 77 (main st)
    noble ok.

2-grissoms
    408 n 2nd st
    noble, ok. 405-872-3216

J & M bedding plants
    514 w. main st
    noble, ok. 405-872-9799

whispering springs greenhouse
    12647 s.w. 104th st
    okc, ok. 405-376-2444

K & K nurserys
    17550 S sooner rd.
    norman, ok. 405-447-3100

there are two outside tents one in norman at s. intrance of sooner mall( I-35 & main st)

and one in moore or okc area
    I think @ 104th & western or 119th & western

I hope this helps and will keep looking for some more to post, these are some of my favorite hang outs .

• annbb
    15 years ago

Last week I bought two different kinds of Hen and Chicks at Whole Foods in Tulsa (sorry Plantermunn I know it isn't close to you). They were absolutely luscious along with dozens of other luscious herbs and perennials grown LOCALLY in Bartlesville at the Hogscreek nursery. I believe the Hen and Chicks were 3.99 for a large pot, one of the varieties I got was called "El Toro" and is supposed to reach 9 inches in diameter (an individial Hen that is, what a great name!). Hooray for Hogscreek! A number of the other plants were drought tolerant and unusual, it was just great!
    Ann

• kathi_rogers
    15 years ago

I would love to have some Joe Pye Weed if anyone has any to share. None of my wintersown came up.

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Kathi - I wintersowed Joe Pye as well and it hasn't come up, but I have been told that it is one of the last things to come up. I am not giving up on it just yet.

• annbb
    15 years ago

Oops, Regarding the nursery in Bartlesville, the name is Hogshooter Creek Farms, not Hogscreek. So I called them to see if they distribute anywhere in the the OKC area. No dice. They will be at the Sand Springs Herb Festival next Saturday but since we will all be at Will Rogers Park that doesn't help much.
    Ann

• rookiegardener29
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone...especially Okiedawn!
    My name is Kristy and I am from South Norman. My neighbor across the street is shamaneyes!(hey girl!)
    Obviously I am new to the forum and new to gardening. (unlike shamaneyes!) Her garden, yard, etc. is amazing! I just moved into the neighborhood last fall and she welcomed me instantly. She showed me her backyard...omg it was like going to a garden show! Beautiful! Believe me I keep my ears open and take all of the advice she gives. This lady knows what she is talking about. I consider myself very lucky.
    Okiedawn... I have been reading these forums since last fall but I never had a voice. (what do I know about anything?)I enjoy reading your advice to people. You sure do know ALOT about gardening. You should teach a class for beginners like me. In the meantime I will learn from these forums and my lovely neighbor.
    I was excited to hear about this garden party-exchange!
    I plan to come and bring my neighbor shamaneyes!
    I want to bring my famous pea salad. My vegetarian buddies love it!
    I have started my vegetable garden. I have started all of my seeds. I am just now getting sprouts! I don't know if anything is worth bringing quite yet.
    Here are a list of veggies that have started sprouting and you guys just let me know what to bring

corn
    brussel sprouts
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    lima beans
    tomatoes 3 kinds
    romaine lettuce
    butterhead lettuce

I have alot of other veggies but they have not sprouted yet.
    I look forward to meeting all of you...especially Dawn!
    If there is anything that you would like me to bring just let me know! I was thinkin an ice chest with lemonade and sweet tea and regular tea! mmmm yummy! anything else?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hi Kristy,

It is so nice to see you here on the forum, to "meet" you online and I do look forward to meeting you (and many others) in person on Saturday. Thank you for the kind words but you're making me blush.

Now that you have posted and we know you exist, you must post more often. You don't have to "know" a lot about gardening to contribute to this forum. It is always nice just to hear that you are there, you are "tuned in" and learning, etc. Feel free to tell us what is going on in your yard, your local nurseries, etc. Please, please, please ask questions.....the only dumb question is the one you have in your head and do not ask.

We have many, many experienced gardeners on this forum, but we have lots of newer or even brand-new gardeners and everyone contributes. I learn something new here every single day (and, often several "somethings" daily) and that keeps me learning and growing (pun intended) as a gardener.

Bring whatever plants you have "extras" of to the swap. If you don't have extra plants to bring, just bring yourself and Shamaneyes and don't worry about it. We'll have more than enough plants for all the newbies who haven't built up a supply of plants to trade yet.

The cold drinks sound yummy to me. I am sure that if someone else is bringing drinks too, Plantermunn will chime in and let you know. I would think it would be fine, though, to have several people bring drinks.

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday,

Dawn

• rookiegardener29
    15 years ago

Be careful what you wish for...I'm full of questions!

Here's one thats been buggin me...
    Okiedawn-
    I have fenced in a section of my backyard for my very first vegetable garden! Very exciting! I did it to keep the dogs out. I have turned the soil twice already and pulled all of the weeds. Everyone says compost, compost, compost! Well, there is a place in Norman where you can get free compost. I wanted to start getting my sprouts into the ground this weekend. Should I use the free compost? Do you think it is safe? I am trying to have a somewhat organic vegetable garden (no chemicals). Should I start my own compost? I am confused. The ground was soooo easy to dig up. Very soft soil. Is it even necessary. I would also like to send you pics of my garden and see if you could give me some suggestions on where everything should go. I will measure it today after work. Would you mind taking a look at the pics and get me started in the right direction?

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

Do we have cups yet? I can bring all the cups if we dont have them yet!

I have some big 15 gallon and up pots I will bring if anyone wants them.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Kristy,

If you are coming to the swap, bring the photos or bring a cup of soil, OR go to the link below, read about how to do a jar soil test and then try it. Once the soil settles, you'll know a lot more about the composition of your soil than you know now. You'll also know more than I can tell you just by looking at a cup of soil.

You probably have sandy soil or sandy loam, and both are good. If you have sandy loam, you might not need to add a lot of compost, but a little (say, an inch of compost placed on top of the sandy loam and then worked into the soil) wouldn't hurt. If you have sandy soil, it is amazingly soft and fluffy, but often drains too quickly, so it needs compost to help it hold moisture. The problem with sandy soil that seems very fluffy, soft and easy to dig is that it often has nothing but sand and silt so it is fairly low fertility. The soil jar test will help you figure out if your soil has sand, silt, organic matter, clay etc. and even roughly what % of each you have.

I am not a huge fan of municipal compost or municipal mulch in a veggie garden, and especially in an organic veggie garden. Why? Because you have absolutely no idea what is in that compost. The tree trimmings, leaves, grass clippings, etc. could have been sprayed with ANY chemical and you have no idea what was used. You don't know if it has a long half-life and will remain around for years. You have no idea if these decomposed materials were once sprayed with a herbicide that is not labeled for use in a veggie garden. I'm talking about chemicals that might have been sprayed on the materials before they arrived at the city composting facility, not after.

The prospect of contaminated compost or mulch might not bother you, but I am always leery of it. Several years ago a commonly-used agricultural herbicide somehow found its way into the commercial composting industry, including city composting facilities in some parts of the country. This chemical has a very long half-life. Gardeners who innocently applied the contaminated purchased compost to their gardens found their soil contaminated and their entire gardens dying. It was a huge disaster/scandal and was especially devastating for organic gardeners. It took years to get the soil decontaminated and back to growing plants again. Because of all the publicity that surrounded that compost catastrophe, you'd think it wouldn't happen again. Right? Wrong. A similar issue arose last year in the United Kingdom and it just happened to involve a chemical herbicide very similar to the one that caused the problem in the USA several years ago. So, to me, putting municipal compost in your garden is sort of like playing Russian Roulette.....maybe you'll be all right, and maybe you won't.

Your garden will always need organic matter like compost or composted animal manures. Heat eats (breaks down) compost, so you can't amend the soil once and be done with it forever. You have to continually put compost and manure into the ground to keep it healthy. I don't normally add compost to my beds any more. I just mulch heavily throughout the growing season and you know what the mulch does, don't you? It slowly breaks down and turns into compost and that compost gets carried down into the soil by earthworms and other critters, and by rainfall and digging. So, if you add compost and/or manure to your soil the first year, and you always keep your beds well-mulched, the mulch will decompose and feed the beds on a continual basis. What could be easier?

Okiegarden,

I have cups, plates, napkins and plastic eating utensiles, but it is fine with me if you want to bring cups. I'll just save mine and use them for the firefighters.

If you bring those 15-gallon pots, I bet everyone will snap them right up!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Jar Test

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okiegarden I am not sure if we have cups covered.

Our computer is on the blink so I might not make it back online.

We are going to make two simple signs just arrows that point at the turn in spots. We will stick them out early Saturday. We hope to see you all there.

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

Will bring the pots, some smaller ones also just if someone wants them I will have them all there and ready!

Will bring cups - unless I hear otherwise.

Cannot wait to meet everyone - what a great group of people!

• rookiegardener29
    15 years ago

Thanks Dawn. I will bring photos and a soil sample. Thanks for all of your help!

• njdjs
    15 years ago

I will bring some gallon baggies in case anyone needs them. I know that I have to bring some things bareroot since I don't have pots for them.
    Plantermunn I hope your computer starts working. Glad I live with a puter repair man or I would not have a puter. I will have a big trash bag with your cactus pads in it.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We drove into the city yesterday to pick up the key.

Then we drove over to check out the park. I said in another post that the castle was on Pat Murphy drive. Oops it is on NW30th.

• devilwoman
    15 years ago

Dawn, bring all the surplus veggies you want! If there's anything left over after all the folks at the meet take what they want, our grad student, Chelsea, will be happy to take anything for the community garden in Anadarko! Also, if you have spare purple daturas I would like one. I have lots of the white ones, but I've never even seen the purple ones except in pictures.

If anyone is interested in naked ladies, please let me know. I'm pretty sure these are the Lycoris squamigera not the Amaryllis belladonna. From what I've been reading, the Amaryllis put on leaves in the fall and they die down in spring. These put out leaves about the same time as daffodils. I've also read that they would need to be replanted as soon as possible and tend to "sulk" sometimes for a year or two before they bloom again. Mine seem terribly crowded. I think I may wait to move them until fall, but if anyone really wants some I will dig them just before heading to the meet.

Also, I have lots of red cannas that need thinning so if anyone wants some of those, let me know, and I'll bring some of them too. I'm planning to print out pictures I took last summer of what I dig up so you can see what they look like.

Debra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Njdjs,

The gallon-sized baggies are a good idea.

Debra, I can bring her seeds of lots of things.....most of the heirloom winter squash and melons do best when direct-seeded. I have a Texas Indian Moschata that should be perfect for her research.

I am bringing lots of the purple-flowered Angel's Trumpets. They reseeded prolifically in three different large pots that had the plants in them last year, so I have a lot. I'm not sure if any of the Angel Trumpet sprouts I have are the yellow, pink or white-flowered ones-now that they are larger and I can see the leaf shape, they all look purple. When it stops raining, I'll go out to the garden and see if they white daturas there have sprouted. They usually pop up about the last week of April and I haven't seen any yet, but there might be some lurking underneath the mulch.

Next fall, I'll start pink, white and yellow angel's trumpets from cuttings and grow them inside so I'll have them for next spring's swap. So, everyone can get purple ones this year but may have to wait until next year for the other colors.

I'm bringing some tomatoes, but don't which ones yet. Usually I have all mine in the ground by now and know exactly which ones are "left over". This year there are barely any in the ground, so I'll just have to look at them this afternoon and decide who stays and who goes.

I'm bringing a few extra muskmelon (cantaloupe) and squash plants--common hybrids. I haven't planted any of the heirlooms yet since it has stayed so cold.

I'm bringing a few Malva 'Zebrina' which have just about replaced my hollyhocks this year since they are so much more vigorous and quick to come out of dormancy in early spring.

I'm bringing 4 O'Clocks too. They are a great plant--they won't die and you can't kill them. : ) On top of that they are gorgeous and very fragrant in the evenings.

I've also got paper products covered and plasticware and Okiegarden is bringing cups. I know Lynn has the nametags covered, someone is bringing drinks, a lot of folks are bringing food, a couple of people are bringing doorprizes, and a lot of us are bringing plants. Can anyone think of anything else we might be forgetting?

It looks like rain, so bring your a windbreaker, raincoat, jacket etc.

Oh, and George is bringing his new Lee Valley tools with their ash handles for "show and tell". Wait until you see the quality of these tools--you'll know why I always recommend them. : )

We are less than 24 hours away and I can hardly wait.

Dawn

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes it is on nw 30. I will put these signs out at both ends of nw 30. My bad.

One side of one sign has a black arrow.

• shankins123
    15 years ago

I'm excited, too!!! Can't wait :)
    If anyone just "happens" to have a couple of bags of leaves that they were going to get rid of, I'll take those off your hands, too...I goofed and didn't take the ones I saw put out for the trash man a week or so ago...should've gone by cover of night to purloin them :)

• indian_blanket
    15 years ago

Hey, Devilwoman..I'll take some red cannas, please. Thanks.
    I have some wintersown and repotted gaillardia sundance, gaillardia burgandy, convolvulus, Irish eyes, and sage.

• njdjs
    15 years ago

OK okiedawn ya JINXED me. My mom was rushed to the hospital. Yes you probably guessed it.I think her sugar got to high.THey did tested today and haven't found anything out yet but the sugar levels are over 150. I went to hospital and it seems like they are getting it under control. She was joking and upbeat.
    I got the pop and some chips and the gallon baggies. Walmart had roses for 2 bucks so Rich bought me some.
    Now we are heading outside to get Plantermunn his cactus and gonna dig up a few other things.
    We will be leaving here later then we wanted. Rich needs to give my truck a oil change and we are going to get a bag of ice for the pop. We wanted to get it all done today but it didn't happen.
    See everyone tomorrow as long as all keeps going well. Mom's birthday is tomorrow and she will spend it in the hospital.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Everyone have a GREAT time and know I am wishing I could be there! I know that Cliff probably isn't going to get home in time for us to make it. I'm drooling over all of the plants everyone has been mentioning! And it would have been wonderful to meet everyone face to face! I'll be looking forward to next year, though. I should be able to drive and get around much better by then and really be able to enjoy it.

Looking forward to seeing LOTs of pictures and hearing about the get together!

Kathy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Kathy,

Wish you were going to be there! Well, there's always next year or maybe even a fall swap.

Hold down the fort today, answer all the life-or-death questions on the forum, and stay tuned for exciting news as everyone returns home and starts posting photos and comments. : )

I know you'll be with us in spirit even if you cannot make it in person today.

Dawn

• shamaneyes
    15 years ago

OkieDawn, just wanted to drop by and say thank you everyone for such a nice day, I had a blast. I loved the warm friendly atmosphere and great food. a few of us were talking about having a garden party gathering once a month maybe at my house or a park here in Norman, I could pay the pavilion cost. May threw oct, I know I would sure enjoy it. let me know what you think, and I was trying to post some pictures of the picnic on garden web , i don't know if garden web has a different upload program than i have but couldn't get them to upload, any help would greatly be appreciated.

god bless
    and thank you all again for a great day!
    Shamaneyes /AngeLena