SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

How to install a fountain....desperately

Marie Tulin
14 years ago

I posted this on the "accoutrements" forum and for two weeks not one response!! I know people here have fountains and are sympathetic souls....so save me from my own incompetence....please;;;;

We need help understanding how to deal with the water reservoir of a recirculating water fountain. It simply can't be as difficult as it is or no one could maintain one!

It is a simple very heavy concrete/cast stone basin on a pedestal and the water comes out of a spout in the center. It is powered by a recirculating 125 v. pump

We used a 5 gallon galvanized trash can for the resevoir. The can is wider than the fountain pedestal base so any splash falls back into the bucket. The fountain pump is threaded through a plastic bucket inverted in the can, and the pedestal of the fountain rests on top of that plastic bucket, which brings the bottom of the pedestal level or a little above the soil level.

Here are our problems.

This is a concrete fountain. It cannot be easily moved. So how do you get to the "reservoir" which holds the water and the pump with a two hundred pound dead weight over it?

So, we've grunted and strained our backs moving the damned fountain. Even with screening around the base and over the bucket, debris falls in.

When the water in this "resevoir" is dirty it is a terrible job getting it all out. There is always an inch of two of water and silt left, even after scooping and scooping. The can is so deep, it can't be lifted out to clean it or the walls of the hole will collapse

Clearly our "resevoir" is much too deep. What do we use? Again does access the reservoir with an immovable object over it? How much water does a fountain need to actually keep flowing? Does the amount of water influence how often the water needs to be replenished due to evaporation?

Even cleaning the bowl of the fountain is difficult because the fountain cannot be tipped to dump out the dirty water.

I know we made this much more complicated than necessary. My husband is about to go on strike. Please help! I love my fountain. The robins love it and my bees dip in for drinks.

We need clear simple instructions. Do not assume we understand or know anything. If you can download a drawing, sketch or illustration it would help us a lot. Believe me, I have spent hours searching the web, and nothing is simple enough to understand!

Thank so much for your help.

idabean

I learned a couple of things: that a solid base is better than soil, which compacts and shifts.

Use a large screen over the reservoir, cut a hole in it to access the pump if need be.

A gardenshop owner told me the pump is only recirculating the water in the fountain's basin. But doesn't the pump ha have to be covered with water or it will burn out? So is the container with water/pump just sitting inside the hollow pedestal?

Oh yes, while the fountain was off its base a vole fell in the bucket and drowned.

Comments (15)