SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginak08

Blueberries in containers?

ginak08
13 years ago

Hello again. I have been lurking on this site for a while this year and am learning lots of helpful information from you experts. I posted last year about my husband killing my entire garden (raised beds) with turf builder/weed control. Thank you all for your helpful advice. I did replant some stuff late in the season but the only things I really had success with were yellow crookneck squash and green beans. I was devastated with the loss of my garden last year and had a hard time starting over again, I kind of lost interest last year as a result.

This year, I am excited to start over and have warned my husband not to use turf builder/weed and feed or whatever anywhere near my plants.... or else. He said he has learned his lesson.

My question for today is, do any of you have advice for growing blueberries in containers? There is actually an area in my yard (side yard) where I had been intending to plant 3-4 blueberry bushes. The only problem is we live in a neighborhood and side yards are TINY. I really wanted the blueberries because we love to eat them and also it would make a good little "hedge" next to my patio.

The only problem is, the lot next door to me has been vacant for the past two years, and now there is a house being built there. I am hesitant to put the blueberries there now because A) the location is VERY sunny now, but I don't know how it will be once there is another house there... maybe it will get too much shade. B) If the new neighbors decide to put up a privacy fence either in a few months or even a couple years into the future, I do not know how it will further affect the sun/shade for the blueberries plus I am afraid the digging for the fence could damage or even kill the root systems.

I would really like to plant blueberries this year because I realize it will take at least a few years to get them established. To me, the ideal location will be the side yard, but maybe we can find a space for them in our small front yard (LOTS of sun) but we haven't really done much landscaping there yet besides one flower bed and I am not sure we know exactly what we want to do out there yet.

Can I successfully grow blueberries in containers? If so, what variety, how big of pots do I need? I realize they need highly acidic soil and I am thinking that will probably be easier to control in containers anyways.

If I plant them in containers this year, can I re-plant them in the future (maybe in 1-2 years once we figure out our landscaping for the rest of our yard)? We probably won't do much landscaping this year, I am pregnant and due in August (will make for some fun gardening I know) and my husband has been in and out of the hospital for health issues this year as well.

I just would like to get my blueberries started at least and worry about final locations some other time or maybe even just keep them in the containers if they do well enough.

Anyone have any advice for me? Thank you so much and now that I am over my initial shyness of my first post this year I hope to not be such a stranger. This is such a great board!

Comments (8)