SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clairegrosh

Blueberries in Containers? (Rabbiteyes, in Particular)

clairegrosh
6 years ago

I am curious to know if anyone has attempted this. I've been growing two southern highbush varieties in big clay pots for the past three or four years, and this is the first year they'll be big enough to bear fruit. (They started out as tiny "plugs" and are now 2-3 feet tall. The one is loaded with blooms at the moment, so we shall see). Admittedly I have no idea what I am doing, but I figured seeing copious blooms was a sign of at least partial success. And so, fueled by this optimism, and perhaps overly ambitiously, I just ordered several more southern highbush plants with the thought of adding to my potted blueberry grove as the years go by. My thought is to eventually have all of these in half-whiskey-barrel sized planters.

Anyway, I'd love to get a few Rabbiteyes one day, in order to extend the harvest season somewhat. But I can find no information online regarding growing the Rabbiteye types in pots. I have never grown them; it seems they get very, very tall eventually. Perhaps even a half-whiskey barrel pot would be too small for them, but I have no idea. I could probably devote a raised bed to them if I had to (I guess that's kind of like a huge pot) but I'd vastly prefer keeping them in containers.

Any thoughts? In case it matters, I am in the southeast, zone 7B, coastal region with long hot humid summers with sandy, drought prone, nutrient poor soil of unknown acidity.

Oh, and one last question. If anyone is growing blueberries (of any type) in pots, what, specifically are you using to fertilize them?(And how often, etc.) I have not ever fertilized mine. (Eek, I know, bad me). I recently bought some Miracle-Gro for acid loving plants but then read somewhere to never give blueberries nitrate-based fertilizer. I have no idea if this Miracle-Gro product is nitrate-based or not, but I would assume it is. I do have some Holly-Tone, but as I'm sure my plants are half-starved, I don't know if this organic option will be enough for them at present. Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)