SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

This week's standout plant in your garden--7-25-07

ginny12
16 years ago

Runktrun, I hope you don't mind if I continue the threads you have started.

With all the attention on new introductions, sometimes the standout plant in my garden is not only an oldie but not even a hybrid or fancy cultivar. For this week, the palm has to go to Hosta ventricosa. This hosta is medium size with shiny green leaves that light up deep shade. Very attractive just for the leaves but it's also one of the few hostas with truly showy flowers--bright purple and lots of them.

Hosta ventricosa self-seeds and from the original plant stuck in a dark, neglected corner, I now have at least twenty. And I've given away plenty. They grow densely so the flower show is really amazing for this corner--and no weed but jewelweed can get thru. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this one plant.

If you love historic plants and gardens, you may be interested to know that this hosta, native to China and northern Korea, was one of the first to reach the West in the late 1700s. It then became one of the first hostas grown in American gardens--and one of the few til after the Civil War.

Two other things: Tho in a dark corner, the soil is good and quite moist, which it seems to like. And for botanists, maybe self-seed is not the right word. It propagates itself in an unusual way.

Comments (11)