SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_junkie

A Good Year for the Gardens (photo heavy)

hosta_junkie
12 years ago

While so many of you have been struggling with drought, flooding, hail, falling trees, etc., I have been blessed with excellent conditions, and my gardens have never looked better. The storms that have damaged so many metro Minneapolis gardens seemed to always miss me, and I have only had to water during the past couple of weeks. I've also had minimal insect, rodent and deer damage.

So, I thought I'd provide a tour of my gardens in the hopes of lifting spirits and reminding that next year is another year indeed. (And next year, you will be lifting MY spirits when Mother Nature isn't quite so kind to me.) These photos were taken last Sunday, when I chose to remember September 11 by spending time in my gardens.

My front lawn as you approach my house:

Coming up my driveway (the undulatas were the only hostas and significant garden area on my property when I purchased my home in 1999):

Fair Maiden:

Marion Bachman:

Sagae:

The driveway garden, which was overridden with buckthorn and overgrown weeds:

Wolverine:

The hosta garden is planted around two black ash and a burr oak tree and located directly in front of my house. This area was intentionally overplanted in order to get baby hostas going and knowing that I would be thinning out the area and moving many plants to new areas as they are developed:

Komodo Dragon:

Regal Splendor:

Whirlwind:

St. Paul:

Striptease:

Red Hot Poker:

The front of my house:

Midwest Magic:

Front lawn looking from the side:

Hosta garden around the birch trees:

Torchlight:

Summer Fragrance:

Americana:

New boulder garden, installed this spring:

Zippity Do Dah:

Waving Wuffles:

Side of the house:

Key Lime Pie:

Squash Casserole:

Lakeside Shoremaster:

Lancifolia area of the fern garden behind my house:

This section is called my "hosta farm" - this is where new hostas go to grow up while they wait for a permanent home. I have long-term plans to clean out some of the underbrush and create walking paths with hostas planted throughout.

Lakeside Sparkling Plenty:

Spartacus:

Emerald Ruff Cut:

Journey's End:

NOID, but potentially Regal Splendor:

Fan Dance:

Small garden in the back yard - a holding place until the fence is moved and new garden areas laid out:

Goodness Gracious:

Cathedral Windows:

Seducer:

Thanks for looking!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH