SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborahz7

My Gardens & Seedlings *Photo Heavy*

deborahz7
16 years ago

These are all still work in progress. I need to move some things around & I still need to weed, build trench's (hi Donn) and mulch so pardon that their not very neat. I've been working very hard on these, nearly 3 hours every weekday and from morning to sundown weekends when possible. My family misses me & say it seems like they haven't seen me in awhile. I like to garden alone & they know that. Most of these are new beds using Donn's instant bed technique.

Whats left of my 200 container pot ghetto. Some of these have sprouts but their recent so I'm holding them for now.{{gwi:386221}}

A good comparison of indoor/winter sown seedlings. These are all petunias. In the large containers are indoor and the small container is WS. I've no doubt that the WS ones will catch up soon to the indoor ones. The WS ones were just planted on Sunday.

{{gwi:386222}}

Check out these Nasties. They were WS & planted about 2 weeks ago. They were about an inch big at plantout time. Also there is Liatris Spicata & Bachelor Buttons in that area. Was thinking about putting the New Dawn rose to the left of the clematis. Let them both climb the garage.

{{gwi:386223}}

The little black & white garden. In here are Scabiosia, Hollyhocks, bachelor buttons and more. Everything in here was WS except for the Gardenia & hosta. All were about an inch big 2 weeks ago at plant out. The Scabosia has buds that are about to open.

{{gwi:386224}}

Most of this bed was WS too. In here are Clarkia's, 4 o'clocks, some bulbs, pony tail grass, veronica & more that I can't remember. This is a hard area for us because we have utility boxes near here that keep us from doing too much. DH built the area with wood in background last fall. We call that the levels. There are 2 small beds & 1 large one there. Along the back fence I placed cardinal climber (indoor sown) & Carolina Jasmine at the most visible spot since its evergreen. I have 2 containers of CJ but neither came up so I broke down & bought 1. A Carolina home without it seems strange.

{{gwi:386225}}

The largest of the levels bed. This has become a holding area or nursery bed. Its where I'm putting things that aren't permanent there. Everything here was WS. I'm most excited about the confederate rose which was WS & doing well. Its not much bigger than my thumb.

{{gwi:386226}}

The top level. This is all blue & white flowers. Plumbago, poppies etc are in here. Its a mixture of WS, IS & store bought.

{{gwi:386227}}

This is the tulip bed which needs redone in the fall. For now there are Camelia's, Dahlia (IS), Cosmo's (WS), Snapdragons (WS) & more here. I hope you can see the Cosmo's. They were so tiny when I planted them about 9 days ago. They have tripled in size.

{{gwi:386228}}

This is the only bed from last year. Everything else is new this year. We moved into our house last March & slowly but surely all the grass is going away. DH isn't too happy but oh well. Lots of WS things here, alyssum, liatris - gosh I can't even remember it all. I don't have alot of perennials so I sowed heavily annuals for color this year while I wait for what few perennials I do have to take off. Plus DH & I disagree greatly about flowers. He prefers foliage & tropical while I like cottage. Annuals allow me to get color so next year he can have his turn at foliage. I sure hope that hydrangea bounces back. The frost a few weeks ago hurt so many flowers badly. The buddleia in the background is already doing much better.

{{gwi:386229}}

Some of my 20+ containers. You can see the herbs & alliums which were IS & WS, most WS. There are alot of Zinnia's here too. In the background is corkscrew vine & moonflowers. These all need moved around so that it will be a white garden. We ended up putting irish moss & white star creeper in between the stone patio but not alot as we are willing to wait for them to fill in.

{{gwi:386230}}

Lastly some sunflowers & unknown annuals. These are probably too close together & 1 of my cats keeps going in there & using this bed as a litter box. Everyday I have to straighten these flowers yet their somehow pulling threw.

{{gwi:386231}}

There's alot more (I sowed 200 WS & the same inside) but I think I've bored y'all enough - lol. Obviously I need to move some things around & have alot more to do but I'm really pleased so far. My back & knees hurt but its been worth it. Funny how gardening is alot of hard work yet relaxing at the same time. Sadly we don't have a big yard & its chopped up with the garage in the middle of it but I've tried to make do.

Its really been amazing to me how quickly those WSown sprouts get once planted. I can't wait to see it all in 1 month & will post more photo's if you like. If anyone sees something I should be doing differently, or has advice please let me know. Its a challenging back yard.

Comments (6)

Sponsored