SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

its time for fall observations

as you walk around the garden ... bemoaning the fact the fall is here... or doing a small jig as i am .. very happy to be nearing the end of summer ...

take note of certain hosta that are in decline ..... in a bed .. that otherwise isn't ...

why would one or two be taking a dive faster than the others .... so many theories... so little time

maybe the sprinkler isn't hitting them as compared to the others ...

or maybe this is a good way to diagnose that there are evil tree roots under those hosta... causing localized drought ... and early decline ...

if so .. pop one out.. and see if the roots are there ... and if so .. get rid of them ... or just dig around the hosta ... twice around... as deep as the shovel will go ... or i should say ..a s many times around as it takes you to get the shovel all the way in... and 'pop' that sucker out.. and let it fall right back in ....

if winter heave is an issue.. you may not want to be digging up and completely bare rooting your hosta this late in the year .... so just take some notes.. and do those hosta in spring ...

anyone want to be the guinea pig.. and let me know if the theory holds any water ...

if you disagree ... explain to me why certain hosta.. that otherwise shouldn't be in decline.. are the first to go down????

ken

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!