SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Cardboard in the garden- good stuff

helenh
10 years ago

I have planted some lettuce and onion plants maybe a little too early because it is supposed to be cold this week.

Mostly I have been digging holes and cleaning up my garden. Where I have used landscape cloth and old carpet on paths I have a job because they have been buried by mulch and grass has grown through them. It is hard to get them out and they didn't work long term. I am realizing more and more that the best thing about cardboard is it doesn't last. You put it down and cover it with some leaves or mulch and it makes that area look good. You have to keep doing it because the cardboard rots but you have nothing in the way the next time you have to redo that area. I get big brown sheets from Sams. I don't like white or colors because I want it to blend in. It works much better for me than newspaper.

Not about gardening - my father escaped to Australia when Corregidor fell in WWII with 17 other men in a diesel boat. The island people helped them because they didn't want the Japanese to win either. The little boat was too small for the open ocean so they maneuvered along islands most of the way. It is an exciting story. Daddy is only mentioned in the book about their journey. It was out of print but has been reissued. It is an interesting story and some of you might enjoy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: South from Corregidor

Comments (5)