SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Compost how to tell the good stuff

paulsiu
11 years ago

Last year, I got compost in bulk from a local nursery, but I am not entirely happy with it, the stuff isn't screened very well so I got large pieces, sticks and some plastic wrapper.

I decided to look around for alternatives.

I got some mushroom compost which was screened really well and seemed to be moisture retaining like compost.

I got another brand of mushroom compost, but that one smell like manure. I figure it was still not completely compost. My wife made me return it any way because she said there was no way that was going into yard.

I got some compost from EarthGro and Ace Hardware. Both had the 5-5-5 label and claims to be composted manure. The texture was OK and it didn't smell like manure.

I also purchased some Moo-nure from Home Depot. The stuff is certified organic and is supposedly 100% composted manure. The texture is good and the stuff does not smell like manure.

I purchased a bag of compost manure from a garden club sale. The stuff smell strongly of manure and so is probably not composted completely. Should I just let it sit for a while?

Paul

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21