SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Mulch: wood chips or ... this compost-like stuff I have?

gamebird
15 years ago

Yesterday I had the chance to borrow my parent's pickup and go get some mulch at the local green waste site. I asked them at the gate which was the oldest stuff and the guy there was vague, but he said it should be older towards the back. I went towards the back and saw the huge piles get generally darker. Standing off to one side was a pile like a chocolate kiss and about the same color. Dark chocolate too, not that light stuff. I got out and looked at it. It was crumbly and moist and held together beautifully. It was like wood chip compost. Seduced by the idea of getting a load of this lovely stuff, I told the loader that's what I wanted. He tried to argue with me that it was reserved for the parks and recreation board and was part soil, part wood chips, but I persisted and he loaded me up.

As I got it home, I realized that I still didn't have any mulch (or do I?) I had trees and flower beds I'd been intending to put the mulch in for weed suppression and moisture retention. Sure, this is an awesome soil conditioner and I can certainly use it, but if I use it as mulch, won't new weeds just grow on top of it? I've heard that a lot of people use compost as a mulch in vegetable gardens, but I always thought of that more as a side dressing sort of thing.

My question for all of you is: Can I effectively use this dark stuff as mulch, just like wood chips, or should I go to the trouble to go back and get a load of wood chips?

It would be a bit of trouble because my husband is objecting to the number of piles of not-yet-used materials in the back yard and doesn't want another pile. I have now a pile of leaf compost, sandy loam, horse manure+bedding and now this dark stuff. I have them clumped together and on a spot the grass wasn't growing anyway, but even I agree I need to get this stuff into use and not piled up like a soil storage company. I *have* been using them, but there's a lot there. I suppose I could get a very small quantity of wood chips, like a bag or two in my car and I'd use them up the day I got them.

Thoughts?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living