SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

question about cold frames - and a new gardening book

Shelley Smith
12 years ago

Recently I got "The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener" from my library and I am really enjoying it. It is written by a woman who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada in Zone 5b/6a. They grow greens and other hardy vegetables through the winter, although during the period of time when days are shortest the vegetables do not actually grow but remain alive and fresh for harvesting. There are detailed instructions and great photos showing how to build each of the season extenders, but the cold frames are what intrigued me the most. The new potager design I am working on includes two beds along the back fence, facing south, which are 2'x8' each. I think it would be easy to build cold frames to put on top of these beds for use in the fall-winter-spring. I would like to grow salad greens, etc. through the winter and also use it in the spring and fall to extend the season a bit for less hardy vegetables. I am hoping that this would also make it easier to start seedlings in the late winter/early spring.

I would love to hear from anyone here who has tried using a cold frame in Oklahoma. My main concern is keeping them from getting too hot during the day. When I leave for work it can be below freezing, but during the day it might get up to 70 degrees, and I expect the cold frame would get much hotter. If I open the cold frame before I leave, and close it at night, would that work well enough? Or would I need to look at one of those automated vent openers tied to a thermometer?

Here is the link to the book on Amazon, where you can see some pages from the book and several awesome photographs:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio