SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Cold Frames (sort of) ideas and questions

lilion
15 years ago

Greetings. I haven't been on gardenweb for quite some time, but that gardening bug has bitten again and I can't wait to get some veggies in the ground. I have an idea or two that I was hoping to get some input on.

I have a rather shady yard. The only full sun is on my patio and directly next to it. The patio is on the mostly north (NW?) side of the house and the sun is on most of it all day, although portions get shady in the late afternoon. I've put in a small (4x7) raised bed and trellis (on the north side of it) next to the patio where I grow pole beans up the trellis and other veggies and they work very well. My husband suggested the other day we make some kind of portable greenhouse, I'm thinking a cold-frame about 3'x3' and 8" or so deep, up on short casters so we can move it around the patio to keep it in the light as necessary. Think of a box on wheels. I'm worried that cold air coming underneath though, because of the casters, would defeat the purpose. Would it be too cold in the chillier months to work?

The other idea I have is for a planter that I would cover with glass during the colder temps. Next to the patio is a long trellis, about 7' tall and 14' long. While the patio side of the trellis gets sun almost all day, the yard side is mostly shade, being shaded by the trellis itself in the morning and the neighbors house in the afternoon. I had planned for some time to put a planter box on the patio side for flowers, (about 2' wide, 18" deep) but now I'm thinking I prefer veggies. I'll try to attach a picture of my idea - it is NOT to scale - the patio is actually pretty large, maybe 20x20.

The plan for either idea is starting seeds earlier and maybe growing lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc well into the fall.

Any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio