SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklibrarian

I have seedlings! and Potato question...

oklibrarian
15 years ago

I got home from the gym last night to see the first green shoots sticking tentatively out of a few cells of my seed starter (I planted on sunday). As of this morning all 10 broccolis and about half the lettuce has sprouted. Still waiting on the celery and warm-season seeds (tomatoes, misc. bell and hot peppers) to make an appearance. Hopefully some will be big enough to transplant to peat pots and migrate to our big south-facing bay window over the weekend or sometime next week. Now shooting to get the cool weather stuff in the ground sometime around march 10th or so.

On a semi-related note, I also am going to be planting seed potatoes (russets) when the rest of the cold weather stuff goes into the garden. How do I do this? The bag says to put the spuds in as-is, pointy end up. OSU says to cut them into 2-3" pieces. I've heard people here saying they are sprouting their potatoes before they put them in the ground. Is there a best practice on this, and if so what?Thanks again for all your great advice! :-)

Sarah

Comments (9)