SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blheron

Too late to plant an apple tree?

blheron
15 years ago

Always a day late and a dollar short! Our 39th wedding anniversary is this weekend and I was hoping to pick up a new apple tree for the yard. Is it too late to plant this year? I know trees are usually planted during the dormant season, but I missed it.

Also, does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to why my fruit trees don't produce? I have a full size Golden Delicious Apple, a semi-dwarf pear, a Buckley King Apple Semi-Dwarf, and a grafted tree with 3 apple varieties. They all bloom well, my husband does a regular spray program for disease, but after over 20 years we get no fruit---or very little and it is always deformed and not edible. Gets regular watering, even tried those fertilizer "stakes" one year. Still nothing. When we bought the house 35 years ago the fruit trees that were here were past their prime, but still had fruit. My neighbors all have heavy fruit production. Very frustrating! I'm beginning to think maybe after 20 years it's time to start over!

As long as I'm asking, if you don't mind two more questions? One, is it OK to plant a new tree in the same location as the current one (assuming I remove the old one first :))? I don't have enough room to plant new ones without removing the old. Second, is there an apple variety that does better than others for my area? I live just south of Tacoma, WA. I like Braeburns, don't know if they grow here, and my all time favorite, Gravensteins. I planted the Buckley King because the Gravensteins are so difficult to store.

I'd really appreciate any input. It makes no sense to me why the fruit trees refuse to cooperate---we've been very good to them---really! We have many deciduous and evergreen trees in the yard that do very well. Just under half an acre---minus the house and outbuildings, so lots of open space.

Thanks! Off to go pull some weeds in my native Plant Garden!!

Linda

Comments (10)