SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
damonb10

Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise

damonb10
9 years ago

Hi all,

I've been searching for some guidance on this issue and am stuck. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and had a 2" B&B Northwoods Red Maple planted 6 weeks ago. Recently, I've come to realize that the tree was planted too deep. Investigated and discovered that the root flare is a good 6-8" below the soil surface.

I contacted the landscaper about the issue and got into a back and forth debate on whether this is a problem or not. In the end I've convinced them that they need to correct the issue by raising the tree. However, now they say they will do it in the spring. I believe they feel that it is too late in the season here to disturb the tree again. We are just starting to get into some cold weather. However, the ground doesn't normally start to freeze until December timeframe. Is it too late to attempt to correct this?

The next question is I was considering doing this my self. My thought was to dig out two opposite sides of the tree. Then I could lean it one way and back fill underneath. Then lean back the other way and back fill underneath again. Then bring back to upright and back fill around and stabilize. Water in and cross my fingers. Does this seem like a reasonable idea and something I could do? Note, that when planted they had left the rope and burlap on. I've since cut the rope and pulled some of the burlap back on top to find the flare.

I really appreciate the advice, thanks!

Comments (16)