SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Backyard Utopia

16 years ago

Many of the small everyday experiences in my childhood set the stage for my daily habits today. Like some of you I grew up pre-air conditioning which meant that during the summer months my family and millions of others spent early evenings out doors while the hot box of a house cooled down. Living in a middle class suburb did not come with the same outdoor amenities then as it does now. A few folding lawn chairs on the lawn and a hibachi were the standard of comfort my family enjoyed, some how we survived those hours without the luxury fixtures that fill up most back yards today. A recent article in the Washington Post brought to light A study published in the March edition of the Journal of Family and Economic Issues suggests it isn't uncommon for families to abandon their decked-out yards. Researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles tracked the activities of 24 middle-class L.A. households. They found that though the backyards were equipped with pools, patios, grills and, in one case, a skateboard ramp, children spent little time playing in them and adults rarely used them. More than half of the families spent only "negligible" amounts of time in their yards, mostly doing chores; some people never set foot in them at all. The authors concluded that despite the considerable investments that these families had made in their surroundings, they "largely admire them from afar -- from inside the house or in their mind's eye while doing other things." Today I find myself at the end of the day sitting with family in some Adirondack chairs on the lawn in a quiet corner of my yard where the world isnÂt likely to look for us, this is my utopia, and where on a day to day basis I commune with the nature living around me. Share with us when youÂre not working in the garden how do you spend your time outdoors, what defines your backyard utopia. kt

Comments (34)