SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

sweet potatoes

Shelley Smith
12 years ago

Last year I planted a dozen or so sweet potato slips in one of my beds (3'x8'). I got the slips from Duck Creek Farms and they were beautiful, healthy plants. However, I think my soil had too much clay so I didn't get a lot of sweet potatoes. My neighbor across the street planted the ornamental sweet potato vines in front of her house last summer, and I would like to do the same this year using the edible ones (which I think are also quite pretty). I can't put them in the bed with the perennials since they have to be dug up in the fall, and probably under either of my trees wouldn't work either for the same reason. So I am considering digging up and amending the area between the sidewalk and the street and letting the sweet potatoes take over that area. (I hate mowing it anyway!) Even if I planted just a section of that strip, maybe a third or half of it, that would give me a lot of planting space. I could fill up the rest of the area with some salvia and other flowers, maybe a shrub or two, and a couple of mulched paths. (Goal being to completely get rid of the grass in that strip). However, I have not grown sweet potatoes that were in loose enough soil and could reach their full potential. Does this sound like a feasible plan, or am I going to have a mess on my hands?

Comments (12)