SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froofycat

cutting down bittersweet?

FroofyCat
12 years ago

Last year at this time, i cut a huge bittersweet vine at the base and as high up in the tree as I could reach. It seemed successful in the sense the vines up in the tree were dead and I'd cut and shoots that sprang up from the root system for the rest of the summer. I was checking out the stump of the vine today and yes, lots of shoots coming up again this year, but I figure I will just keep on top of cutting them.

I just did it again to another tree, it's small maple and I think it would come down this year under the weight of the vine if I didn't do it.

I want to do it to yet another tree - a huge, lovely oak that luckily dwarfs the vine trying to climb it (for now).

I also ventured into the woods a bit an cut some others. The average diameter of these vines is an inch - some larger! So these vines have been there for a long time. I think my lopers say 1 3/4" and it was hard to get through some.

Does anyone know if this is good or bad to do? I recall reading a blog or post somewhere where a guy said he did this regularly and considered himself a steward of his little corner of woods.

Comments (9)