SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Caution Red Flag

elkwc
12 years ago

I know most on this site are very careful. I just looked at a site that records our weather conditions here. Over the last half hour the winds have been 40-50 mph with the highest gust at 63 mph from the NW. Has been blowing hard for a few hours now. A light rain also.

The reason for my post is about fire danger. Most around here had became very cautious after last spring and we didn't have any major fires during the summer and early fall. After the rains started falling in October I noticed a few gradually began to let their guard down and more of those cutting up scrap metal had went back to work. And then the blizzard came with the 6-15 inches of snow and guess everyone felt the fire danger was over. Over the last week our fire dept has been called out a couple of times. My BIL wouldn't even allow hunters who had paid to hunt on his property drive out in the fields and pastures to retrieve their kills. He told them before they paid they couldn't. My sister called before noon. She had been on her way to church when my BIL called her. Some coyote hunters who use pu's and dogs was chasing one just NE of their house and started a fire. Fortunately with the NW wind it carried it away from their house. They were trespassing and had never asked for permission to hunt. My BIL allows those on foot calling up coyotes to hunt in certain areas if they ask. But due to the danger he doesn't allow anything where vehicles are required off road. The last I heard they had managed to get it under control and were watching hot spots especially with the high winds. Now this pasture will be prone to blowing the rest of this winter and during early spring even if we get moisture. I received a call from a close friend last evening in the Texas Panhandle who was watching an approaching fire to his property. He said it was started by a person disposing of ashes from a fireplace. The second fire started that way in 2 days in the Panhandle. He said they thought they would be able to control the one headed his way because there were several plowed fields with no vegetation in it's path. I think everyone after being so careful all summer relaxed after the moisture. With the winds we've had the vegetation is very dry again even though the ground is still moist. Dawn and Tim know way more about these type of issues than I do. But I had stated when watching all the fires burning, ect that I hoped no major fires were started. I just saw this week where another man had been charged with reckless endangerment over the use of a grinder cutting metal and a fire that was started. I just hope everyone is cautious and returns to their practices during last summer. There has been an elevated fire danger warning out for at least a day for our area. Guess those responsible never stopped to think about what could result from their actions. Jay

Comments (4)