SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

choosing a builder- is this normal or a red flag?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Hi,
We are in the very beginning (feasibility) stages of deciding to build or not. We have met with a couple of custom builders so far and the meetings were very different. Builder 1 basically just showed us 3 of his homes that were just about done, one being his own home that was fully done and furnished. Didn't discuss a lot of pricing other than he told us how much each home cost to build but not knowing where the money was spent in the home as far as upgrades.

Builder 2 had a very organized (91 page) power point presentation and immediately emailed us his pricing table and we spent a lot of time talking about what was standard in his homes and what was not (although obviously this was not fully comprehensive). There were a lot of upgrades included in the price of his homes- even more than I might ask for in trying to keep costs down. Such as granite in kitchen and every bathroom, tile in rooms like mudroom and every bathroom, 3 ceiling beams in the kitchen, tray ceiling in the master, and a bar in the basement, and a 3 car garage. However the exterior does not include any natural materials, those are all full upgrades. So I guess what I'm saying is that the finishes on the inside are on the higher end while the exterior standard is vinyl siding. And of course I expect to pay for natural siding, but I 'm just wondering if this is fairly standard practice or if it's a red flag of any sort that these kind of interior finishes are in a way being 'pushed' because they are 'standard' in his pricing. He did say we would get credits for not using those things but i'm not sure how much of a discount that would be in trading those things off to upgrade the exterior and staying within a budget.

Just to give you a super general idea of pricing, 3200 sq feet of above grade house plus 1300 sq feet finished walkout basement would come to around 500-535K if we stick with all of his standard options. Build price only, lot not included.

oh, another thing that I was wondering about is that this builder has 3 designers on staff. One called a "In-home design consultant", one called "interior and cabinetry design" and one called "cabinetry design". I have no idea what credentials these people have but their services are also included on an unlimited basis. This builder builds 18-20 homes per year.

Comments (4)