SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicadelphi

Nervous about unusual contract terms with production builder

Jennifer Miyazaki
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The regional production builder I am planning to work with (have not yet signed the contract) has some unusual stipulations in their contract that have set me on edge. Yes, I have a realtor and am trying to find a good attorney for a professional consult, but still wanted to ask the Houzz community in the meantime.

They have a few preferred lenders and only offer a $2500 closing costs concession for using a preferred lender. The lenders they offer do not appeal to us (different reasons for each company) and will end up costing us significantly more in the long run than the lender we pre-approved with. But my question is not "should I use the builder's lender" so let's not focus on that.

This is a production builder with set floor plans and a very limited set of upgrades. We are planning to do a small amount of interior upgrades that match what they do in their spec homes (hard floors on main, fireplace, one level cabinet upgrade). They call money assigned to interior upgrades an Upgrade Deposit. Anything having to do with structure (basement, elevation, side-entry garage) is part of the base price, not part of the Upgrade Deposit.

Our small set of interior upgrades total cost is going to be roughly $16-18k total. Earnest money is $2k. On our last visit, however, they gave us a blank contract to go over with our realtor. It turns out they have completely different terms depending on if we use their preferred lender or not.

Preferred Lender

$2k earnest due at signing, refundable for financing and other contingencies

50% of upgrade cost due at signing, refundable until after install

Outside Lender

$5k earnest money, non-refundable for ANY REASON

100% of upgrade cost due at signing, non-refundable for ANY REASON

Further reviewing the contract, the implications become pretty extreme. For example, if they find that they can’t fit the house on the lot in pre-construction—we used an outside lender? Non-refundable. Financing falls through? Non-refundable. Property is damaged and seller backs out of the contract? Everything is non-refundable.

Their outside lender addendum (plus the requirement of 100% earnest + upgrade deposit upfront) has blanket statement language that overrides ALL financial contingencies. From a legal standpoint, they could actually back out of the contract without a reason, take our money and run.

Besides the contract terms, the other red flag is not being BBB accredited. I’m not sure how to check how long a company has been in business. They say the founders have been in the homebuilding business for 40 years but part of that was at other companies. Either way, I’m surprised they can get away with such a stringent contract for non-preferred lenders.

How unusual is this? The contract was custom drafted by a law firm. They’re a smaller regional builder and, perhaps, so far they haven’t outright robbed someone so few are complaining. Most customers probably just go with the default option of preferred lender because it’s less cash out of pocket.

I am really set on using this builder and community for a variety of reasons, so I'm hoping for advice to make this work as the attorney gets back to us. But I really can't sign that contract as-is.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!