SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11571839

Contractors - Red Flags?

User
4 years ago

Hi All,

Just wondering... what are your list of red flags when hiring a contractor?

I am now in the process of renovating my bathroom. In compiling the paperwork for the coop, I asked the contractor to furnish a copy of the licenses of the plumber and electrician who will be completing the work.

The response was: " In terms of our subcontractors, if licenses are to be provided, we'll need to add permits to the job."

This does not make sense to me? Why would you pull a permit if the building hasn't required this? When we completed the paperwork for our kitchen renovation, only after the coop reviewed the scope of work did they ask to pull permits.

I feel they are not telling me the truth and passing some cost of business fee over to me as the homeowner. When I got on a conference call with the contractor and his administative person, they still did not really clarify why we were pulling permits. Mainly, they explained that their electrician and plumber would not want to provide a copy of their license without filing a permit as they do not want to be held liable and have their license on the line. Again, this does not make sense to me. So the logic is, everytime you are asked to furnish a copy of your license you must file a permit? Not all jobs require permits. In fact, the building asked us to pull an electrical permit which resulted in reversing the permit as the building was not up to code and would not pass inspection if we did not proceed with a very expensive upgrade to our electrical. Also, on this same call, the contractor asked the administrative person what type of permits are usually filed for electrical and plumbing. Shouldn't the general contractor know this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kate

Comments (6)