SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Brassicae and Oklahoma Sun

chickencoupe
10 years ago

In planning the garden and where to plant my late-summer sown brassicaes:

In 2011 when I hadn't a clue but to plant and wait I started some Brussell Sprouts on the East side of the house that gets, primarily shade. It received direct sun about 3-4 hours. That seedling did well but I did not see it to fruition. I could continue here but it's probably the darkest place to plant anything.

Avoiding blistering sun is the goal while ensuring adequate fall sunlight for brussels, cabbage and cauliflower (but not broccoli). Or am I just nit-picking this to death?

The option of nutrient-dense soil is available under dappled shade West of the house . I don't have the tools to measure it but I'm guessing it drops the temp by about 5 degrees. I had squash here in drastic heat of 2011 and they continued better than any other vegetables plants but continued to wilt. Was extremely hot that year. It did teach me about dappled shade. Thus, I intentionally worked that soil for such purposes.

At that time broccoli was nearby just out of reach of the dappled shade and they continued but were stunted in growth. They even volunteered the next year (2012). I think it was a very good variety of broccoli, too.

I could plant them on the South side of the house where they will receive the morning sunrise but not direct until about 9-10am and then be in light shade from 1pm and darker until sunset. This will require a new plot and may not be sufficient for this season. *shrugs It is much colder on this side of the house, btw. My Red Russian Kale is located here and seems to thrive in it. No. It REALLY thrives there and will be going into it's 5th (?) season without going to seed in that h-kulture plot. lol

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I'm too undecided! I just don't know the growth behavior of these brassicaes. If I could keep up, I would plant them in all these places to determine the best growth.

Comments (3)