SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

OT: It's Finally Finished!

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

Well, I got a lucky break. The factory where DS works shut down for a week. They do this periodically, when they need to slow down their production. Usually everyone saves their vacation time to use during the shut-down. So DS announced he would be finishing his paint job during that week.

But it was not without a struggle. He bought another old junk vehicle which he has been chomping on the bit to mess around with ever since. So on Friday after Christmas, the weather was nice. He didn't show up till 1:00. He had part of the south side of the house primed so I started at 9 am and by the time he straggled over, I had painted all the doors of the storage area at the back of the carport, and all the south side that had been primed. I was so mad at him I could barely speak to him when he finally arrived, and he could tell. He started out trying to tease me out of it and said, "Quit doing my job, Mama!" to which I replied, "Then get over here and do it when you're supposed to." I said little else to him until the end of the day when he admitted to me that he had been late in coming over because he was working on that piece of junk in his driveway. He was surprised when I told him that I had known that, and that was why I was mad at him and that I knew there had been at least one other time when he had done something similar to that and I was sick of being pushed back on the project. I added that there aren't that many days left in which it is possible to paint and that I had already paid him twice to do this job and I have ended up doing a big chunk of it and that I'm not ever doing this again, and .... you get the gist of it. He came up with the feeble excuse that he was having to work it into his work schedule and I replied that he should've thought about that before he asked for the job and reminded him that he had come to me asking for something he could do in place of paying his house payment, not the other way around. He made a remark about my making him feel like a deadbeat and I used Ethel Mertz's famous retort: "If the shoe fits...."

So fortunately we've had enough nice days that he has been able to come over and finish the job. I don't know if he has learned anything by this or not, but I have. I won't enter into an agreement like this with him again. He has eaten over here every day that he has been working and I really don't mind since he is, after all, my son. But since he eats fast food almost entirely, I have saved him some money. And he has gone through so many darned paint rollers, paint brushes and paint pads that he loaded with paint and then either decided he didn't like the way they worked or because they had different kinds of paint in them -- primer, paint, trim paint. I had to go buy another can of paint because he ran out and only needed a little to finish. I couldn't help but think darkly about all those pads and rollers and brushes that had been loaded with paint and then set aside that were wrapped in plastic and waiting in case he wanted to try using them again. I even cleaned some of them and put what new ones I had left away and I'll be darned if he didn't come looking for the new ones.

But, whew! It's over. And I still probably got as good a deal as I would've had I hired professionals to paint the house. But I don't think I saved anything by letting him do the job. And it was a real strain on our relationship. Next time, I will either do it all myself or hire a contractor.

Comments (14)