SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Global Warming

runktrun
16 years ago

Even with the current lecture topic of Global Warming and the Garden being presented at botanical gardens, arboretums, and horticultural libraries, there seems to be somewhat of a disconnect for the New England gardener. Have we become so overly concerned about political correctness that we stand at arms length with this topic? Yes we have been busy on this forum chatting about what plants we lost over this past winter, how odd it was that the migratory birds arrived so late, and I myself have been relishing in the mysteries of zone pushing and climatic changes, but I am beginning to feel as though the words Global Warming and what we as a gardening community can do to promote change is still being treated like the Emperors New Clothes. I will grant you that both nationally and internationally this can be an explosive topic but without acknowledging it exists and allowing the words Global Warming into our everyday vocabulary how can we hope as gardeners to educate our friends and neighbors that their arsenal of pesticides, fertilizers, and over irrigated lawns, was a trend in gardening that is now out of fashion globally. So here is the platform for this discussion; do you believe global warming exists, if you do how do you foresee climatic changes effecting the landscape of New England, and finally do you feel a responsibility as an experienced gardener to educate the homeowner carrying a 50 lb bag of weed and feed to the register that there could be a better way? kt

Comments (7)