SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Is global warming real?

stevation
17 years ago

I was noticing some Eastern members on the perennial forum discussing how warm this winter has been, and someone from West Virginia said they haven't had any snow for three years. They started talking about global warming, which made me remember that I heard on KCPW radio that a SaveOurSnow symposium is being held next week in Park City. Some of you may be interested in it. Here's a quote about it from kcpw.org:

Tuesday January 9th at 6:00 PM at the Eccles Center

The results of a $60,000.00 climate modeling study done by scientists from the University of Colorado at Boulder will be released. Using the latest available global warming data and satellite images this study looks at what our snow pack will be in 2030, 2060 and at the end of the century.

Free, but seating is limited to space available

Also on the same program will be Kathy Mattea, singer/songwriter, giving a Global Warming Presentation based on Al Gores hit movie "An Inconvenient Truth."

There will be a panel discussion with the Director of Climate Change for Aspen talking about what you can do to cut down on green house gases.

Major funding provided by Park City Mountain Resort/Powder Corp

Additional funding provided by KPCW, Deer Valley and the Canyons

So, do you think global warming is real? I know a lot of Utahns don't believe it, mostly because we're a conservative bunch who don't seem to trust environmentalists. But I think it's definitely happening, especially in Alaska and northern Canada.

How do you feel about this topic? Do you think a warmer Utah would be great, since we'll be able to grow different plants and have a longer season? Are you worried about water supply if we start getting more rain than snow in the mountains? How about skiing and tourism? I saw one estimate a few years ago saying Utah could become a lot more rainy, like Oregon, if warming continues. That might not be so bad -- I've always wanted to live in a greener place! But this is so unpredictable, and it could have all kinds of negative consequences.

It will be interesting to see the results of the Boulder study released next week at the symposium.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH