SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Hi, new member .. sorry long post !

leafwatcher
13 years ago

Just ran across this board recently, it seems a friendly place so I signed up..

About my background..

My Father unfortunately passed away a year and a half ago, leaving my Mom alone on their small farm. I have been working nearly full time there so she can continue to live on the farm (its on the edge of town)..doing upkeep,mowing and some improvements for the eventual sale that I am sure will come... :( Maybe the most I do is just make her smile and give her a person to sew and cook for..

I am lucky she has many friends close by.

Anyhow one of the ways I have kept Mom busy is to get her back out in the gardens. My Dad was a farmers market addict and was gardening 5 acres !! He had even built two small ponds that he could irrigate the entire place with.

The land is rolling hills so he could pump to the top of a hill and send it anywhere he wanted.

The soil is very loamy and great for growing nearly anything. In fact you can walk out in the yard..put a spade to the grass, and press it into the ground without even stepping on it..

Weeding with mom on her hosta garden, splitting some plants and generally cleaning things up made me more interested in the hostas than before.

A year ago my wife and I added a couple more interesting types Sagae, and Olive Bailey Langdon.. to the few standard ones we already had...

This year I decided to just put different types all around the edge of the back yard..I have pretty decent shade/sun combination..so I hope it will turn out well.

I have read many of you have been having dry summers. I have been very fortunate. I picked probably the best year ever to plant..We have had regular rains all year..nearly to much. I also spoil my plants with water from my large aquarium at times..I have no proof that helps, but it hasn't hurt either.

I was sort of bummed to read how many people have had bad luck with Great Expectations ! its one of our favorites, and I have 5 of them..they were pretty nice plants to start with, and they are looking well so far..I hope I can start turning the averages around with the success failure rates !

Comments (10)