SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockman50

Dead Oaks

rockman50
16 years ago

Now that the forests are in full-leaf, it is easy to spot the many victims of repeated defoliation by those nasty foreign invaders (winter moth, gypsy moth). Large numbers of oaks are now dead in the interior parts of SE Mass. I feared the worst last August/September when huge numbers of oaks made a valient effort to leaf-out again but then gave up, and the leaves turned brown on the trees. I hoped that perhaps the trees were not truly dead. But alas, they are indeed very dead. The areas around Lakeville and Freetown appear to be particularly hard hit. For those of you who know the area, if you drive along route 140 in those communities, the oak mortality in the forest is 75 to nearly 100% in some stretches. Also, I have seem some unlucky homeowners with large numbers of dead oaks surrounding their homes. Gee, I wonder how much it will cost to remove all of those dead trees (many many $1000's???). Now I know what it must have been like earlier in the century when the chestnuts rapidly died off. I sure hope the state gets this problem under control. For what it is worth, I haven't seen too much defoliation damage this year---yet. Also, I am really bad at identifying the different types of oak trees (black, white, red, etc.), but it seems that most of the dead oaks are the same variety. So, perhaps, there is a different level of tolerance among the oak species to repeated defoliation. We can only hope.

Comments (4)