SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desij_gw

transplant from GA with questions, hey ya'll

desij
17 years ago

1st post on this forum.

Should have used the user name of gypsy.

Started in the NE, moved to FL, back to NJ, to AR, to GA, now to WA.

Moved here, (Pierce County, WA - Lake Tapps area)

bout the 1st of Nov. Enjoyed the lovely winter, LOL even locals say is was strange. I figure if I made it through that I am good to go.

The weather compared to GA is about the same, (winter) other than rainy days, (ALL DAY) gosh I love the sun. Rain just dries up quicker GA. Gulley washers one day then draught. Come summer I will be sympathetic to my friends back in GA. Traded GA red clay for mucky wet. at least right now :o)

I've never had moss instead of grass and been greeted by so many snails/slugs, (which is it?)

And never had the chance to enjoy the breath taking view of Mt Ranier. Still open blinds every morning to sneak a peak, or see if I can see it.

Our front yard faces NNE. This winter, while the snow and ice would be melted in our neighbors yards and driveways, our's would be still covered in snow and ice for days.

There is little planted in our yard, a few shrubs a few rhodies (backyard)

Would like to plant some ornamentals, perinnials and a few trees. Front where it is shady all day. Even in summer with the sun higher I am not sure if this area will get much sun. The grass is bout dead where the outline of the shadow of our house is. This will all be bedding when I'm done. Less grass to cut too.

Moss is in back yard mainly, where it is sunny. Does that make sense? Going to terrace this area anyway so not worried about getting rid of it.

It is nice to know that a number of the plants that I loved growing up in the NE I can now enjoy again. Rhodies are one. They don't do so well in the south. I drive by Lake Tapps Rhododendron place everyday and still haven't stopped.

I can't wait to plant a few lilacs and I don't remember seeing weeping willows in the SE.

I love Brugs and have seen them mentioned here. Do they overwinter? They did in GA.

I have been writing down plant names that I have never heard of and doing research. Any other web sites you can reccommend? Any advice you wish someone would have given you?

Just wanted to say hi!

Boy that was a long hello :o)

okay call me a long winded gypsy

desi

what zone is this condidered?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!