SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iveyrose_gw

Observations and questions from transplanted Floridian

IveyRose
18 years ago

I hope Hydrangeanut is still in this forum. She asked me to keep in touch once I was settled in. If so, I'd like to hear from you...

I just planted my first flowers in Georgia. Now I finally feel like I've staked my claim. I had no Idea that pansies bloomed from fall to hot weather. I'm used to them being planted in the early spring and only lasting a few months. What a delight! They look like little happy faces out in my garden.

After living here for four months I've noticed many things that are new to me.

1)My pine straw mulch is deteriorating. Does that need to be removed and replaced or worked into the soil and replaced? Where do I get pine straw? Do I need to use 4 or 5 inches of it in my gardens after I plant everything?

2) The recent dry spell has made me think that I should put in irrigation. Is that necessary or are the dry spells only once in a while?

3) Planting in a hilly garden isn't as easy at 62 as it was at 22. I can't change the terrain, any suggestions? Knee problems keep me from squatting or kneeling.

4) I'd like to plant irises and daffodils. Should I do that in October or November?

5) I understand that camelias and azaleas do very well here, also. Any special treatment or soil needed? Plant them now? How far away from house?

6) The cherry blossoms are so lovely. Are the trees readily available in the Macon area?

7) I also like mums. Are they perrenial here? Do they do well?

Thanks to everyone in advance for any suggestions that you may share with me. I appreciate all the information that I get on the Garden Forum and put it to good use.

Rose

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County