SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitegarden

Spring Swap at the White Garden

Are you guys still interested in coming out on June 7?

WG

Comments (115)

• mcube
    14 years ago

I can also dig up some evening primrose if anyone wants it. The yellow flowers are gorgeous but this will spread quite aggressively.

• jardinista
    14 years ago

Hey idabean--would love the miss kim lilac if not already spoken for.And Terrene--will take any peonies off your hands,thanks.
    OT question--Anyone know of a good place to get potato starts? I'd like to try growing potaoes and need some "eyes" Thanks,Jardinista

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Garden party spring swap at my house this year

Q

Comments (4)
    This swap at Cheri's has been going on for many years with many gardeners from all over- not just for us GWers like Rick's will be. Dotty- you remember her from the GW Winter Blues seed swap, started this many years ago. It is just Cheri's turn to host the spring event. I bet she was on the host sign up sheet for several years before her name came to the top! There are some folks who come up from the other side of Iowa (with a car full of Iris)- and I met a Canadian participating at my first one. The person from Europe was just visiting a local gardener- but still... This is a PLANT swap. Bring many plants! They do offer to new gardeners who do not have enough to lift and divide to bring food or something like that to share- but they do have many great plants brought by many great folks and that is what keeps it such a good swap. Bring a buck to enter into the drawing at the end of the swap for very special or rare plants- and they are always looking for folks to bring in something very special to donate at the drawing as well. The buck helps covers their mailing list costs that they will send out to you for the next swap- if you fill out a post card while you are there. It is great fun- and a great chance to share what you have an abundance of- or what you are able to- and bring home some great new plants as well! I am planning to be there.....
    ...See More

Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Swap / MAG Spring Swap - May 11, 2013

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, rain or shine! (We'll figure out how to accommodate anything Mother Nature throws at us.) I'll bring an umbrella, plastic sheeting/tarp and maybe old blankets to keep things from making the car floor too wet, and maybe an extra pair of shoes if it's really heavy rain... And rag towels to help keep the house from getting wet tracked inside...
    ...See More

Spring Swap at the White Garden - Refreshments!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Put me down for 'something sweet' might be cookies or banana bread. I'll have to decide 'what' the closer we get to the date :-) JD.
    ...See More

Pictures of the Garden Gate Club Spring Plant Swap April 28, 2007

Q

Comments (69)
    Thanks Susan, Jolana and PJ. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. lol It's definately not for the faint of heart. Folks do not try this at home. Leave it to the experts or dingie blondes that don't know any better. LOL Jolana, thanks for posting the pictures.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ida, I will take the Miss Kim if noone wants it. I would like to get two planted in my new front garden.

WG

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Hi Friends,
    To everyone interested in "Miss KIm", she can't leave home right now. Because of bad knees and backs, neither one of us is doing heavy digging right now. I'm sorry. The depredations of age have unfairly singled us out this spring.

Marie

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No worries Marie. Hope you feel better soon!

N

• tangerinegarden
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am so excited to find this thread!

I am a totally new newbie so all I know is we would love to pick up something grows fast and have showy flowers. Since we don't have any plant to offer please let me know what we can bring over, maybe some snack, drink?

As my understanding, the time is 1pm on June 7th, at whitegarden's house? or there is a place called 'white garden' in southborough?

• jaydeeinma
    14 years ago

Idabean: Just to confirm, I'm bringing you the white bleeding heart. Could I swap it for the Boltonia Snowbank if the lilac isn't available?

Runktrun: Would love the Schizophragma hydrangeoides if it is still available.

Here is my growing list of plants I'm bringing:

white bleeding hearts (Idabean)
    Hosta Antioch
    orange day lilies
    sedum (not sure of color yet)
    Lemon bee balm
    artemesia Powis Castle

JD.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay guys, I am going to be away next week, so at the end of this week I will be going through this thread for a list of attendees and emailing everyone with directions and such. Make sure your online name has emailing options active so you can get my email and if you haven't responded that you are interested in coming, please do so ASAP. I will also post a complete list of attendees so you can tell me if I have left anyone out.

Unfortunately, the white garden is in full bloom right now. I am going to take photos today, but I fear most will be done by the 7th :(

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

This sounds like so much fun. I would love to come. I just began my garden two years ago....I should have started 40 years ago. I am finding it a lot of fun.
    Does someone have Pulmonaria, huecheras, blue wood aster? I am also looking for sedum, and anything blue or purple.
    I am sorry I don't have plants to share yet, but will brink a case of cold water and some snacks. Thank you.
    My email is Blenihan3@verizon.net.

• runktrun
    14 years ago

livvyandbella,
    Welcome I have many Sedum 'Autumn Joy' that will be good size plants as well as smaller divisions of many other tall sedum varieties. Are you looking for anything specific? I also have lots of daylilies that are looking for a new home. I might have Pulmonaria I will check and see. Lets see purple...a couple of things come to mind what are your size requirements? kt

• floral_euphoria
    14 years ago

What fun! I would love to come and may bring my mom along as well. My garden is still in its infancy so I won't have much to swap (if anything). Let me know if there's a specific snack/drink that I can provide. I have been wanting to go to a swap for a while so hopefully I can make it to this one!
    Thanks!

• runktrun
    14 years ago

floral_euphoria & Mom,
    Welcome are you looking for specific plants?
    livvyandbella,
    I was just outside and I have thousands of purple Cleome that have reseeded any interest?

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking for unwanted rhodies and azaleas for my hillside garden.

WHO WANTS EUROPEAN GINGER? Mine has outgrown its welcome. I also have some woodland ground covers Please claim

And astilbes- white

MAYAPPLE- PLS TAKE

MAGENTA GERANIUMS WHAT A TERRIFIC GROUNDCOVER. SMOTHERS WEEDS, AND yes, the magenta is fine from a distance!

Another GROUNDCOVER GERANIUM: G. MACRORIZZUM 'SPESSART' Plenty to go around.

someone help me.

marie

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll take cleome from runktrun and magenta geraniums and white astilbe from idabean.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Do you want a lot of the geraniums? I could bring several pots?

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

Hi Runktrun,
    I would love the sedum "Autumn jOy". I have no size restrictions. I have started a garden near my potting shed, and in front of the house. I love the look of pictures I have seen of English Garden near the potting shed. I love hostas, huecheras. I really don't know what cleome is. My daughter has bought me two of the Endless Summer hydrangea. I love them. They are blue.
    Thanks.
    Barb

• terrene
    14 years ago

This year, due to the tendonitis, which is still a problem, I am bringing plants only. Really shouldn't take anything home because I can't dig at all. I've gotten lots of help from friendly gardeners, but so much gardening left in in limbo this Spring...:(

Here's what is in pots and ready to bring - some spoken for, some still up for grabs.

1 peony Festiva Maxima - for WG
    1 peony Light Pink - for Jardinista
    1 peony dark crimson pink - mcube
    4 Phlox maculata - 2 WG, 2 available
    2 red Monarda - WG
    4 Physostegia virginiana - 2 WG, and 2 available
    4 Aster cordifolius - blue wood aster - mcube, livvyandbela, ??
    2 Echinacea purpurea - available
    a few seedlings in flats?

Hope I've listed everybody's wants. Feel free to speak up if anybody wants anything.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

terrene, I have taken enough of your stuff, but would also love the echinacea. Also, if you wind up taking stuff home, I will offer you some of my time to help you plant the following week.

ida, I don't want you slaving away, maybe three pots?

WG

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

Terene,
    I would love the blue astor. Thank you.
    Did you also have red bee balm? May have been someone else. Getting a bit confused.

Jaydee did you have lemon bee balm? Also hostas?

If anyone has hydrangeas that are not spoken for, that would be great also.

I am sorry if I have you and plants confused.

Barb

• terrene
    14 years ago

WG, any help you may offer would be greatly appreciated. I beg help from every hapless body that wanders into the garden. Several GWers and their H's have been by to dig up stuff and help weed, pot, or move things here and there. A good friend has been here several times to act as "garden assistant". A neighbor and her BF dug some stuff, and even my son dug up the Peony for mcube yesterday! So some progress is made, but not enough for my tastes...

Livvy, there are 2 pots of blue Wood aster for you, sorry only 2 pots of bee balm thus far. They were potted by the neighbor's BF, as she wanted some, and he plopped some in pots for WG while he was at it.

I will see what else I can get potted. There might be some flats of seedlings - Nicotiana jasmine-scented white, and some Digitalis purpurea, maybe other stuff.

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

Thank you Terene.

• mcube
    14 years ago

livvyandbella, I can get you a bee balm if you want one. Let me know.

Terrene, special thanks to your son for digging up the peony. I would also like to take one Physostegia virginiana off your hands if thats OK with you. This will be my first obedient plant. I looked them up and the images look awesome. I wonder why they are called obedient plants when they are actually a little invasive.

• floral_euphoria
    14 years ago

runktrun,
    thanks for the welcome and for asking what I'm looking for. Off the top of my head, a few things I'm hoping to add to my garden are: Veronica 'crater lake blue', white and/or pink peonies, allium, hollyhocks, perennial digitalis (yellow, pink or purple)...I would love to have some of the 'autumn joy' sedum you mentioned if it's still available. I really have just begun my garden - a little last year and mostly this spring so I am open to taking almost anything. I'm in RI (in zone 6) and I have sites available in both sun and shade. My only real limitation is that space is a little tight as I'm on an average sized suburban lot. Unless something gets huge or spreads very aggressively I would be happy to provide a new home for anything unwanted! Did someone mention having daffodil bulbs?
    I will have to check with my mom to see what she may be interested in and what she may have from her garden to pass along, as it's much more established than mine!
    Thanks!!

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

McCube..I would love the bee balm. Thank you. I have been planting the past two years, but this garden still has so far to go.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, here is the list I have for attendees:

diggingthedirt
    terrene
    leira & mom
    runktrun
    gfult
    mcube
    jardinista
    idabean
    jaydeeinma
    daylilyguy
    linda_0210
    tangerinegarden
    livvyandbella
    floral_euphoria & mom
    whitegarden

Next will be "assignments" for refreshments for those of us with few or no plants to offer.

• terrene
    14 years ago

Just a heads up WG - the healing of my wrists is not going well - whenever they start to feel better after a few days, I go out and do some very light gardening and over do it enough to flare up the inflammation and set back recovery. Most recently, it was potting and planting just a few seedlings on Mem Day. So for 2 weeks, I am not allowed to touch a gardening tool! Not even the little tools! :(

I plan to attend, and have pots of stuff all ready, but even driving has been bothering my right forearm lately. I will most likely totally need help unloading the car.

If anyone is interested in car pooling (I'm in Concord) I would jump at the chance to have someone else drive. I will gladly pay for gas for transport.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem terrene. You will have lots of help. Just rest up so that you can definitely come! It wouldn't be the same without you.

• jaydeeinma
    14 years ago

Livvyandbella, the Antioch Hostas (variegated) and the Lemon Bee Balm are yours. Are you wanting any day lilies too?

Idabean, I will take any extra geranium you bring, please don't worry about any 'leftovers' I'll give it all a good home!

I have a 50 ft rock wall in front of the house next to the road that is in desperate need of ground cover, a 100 ft shaded rock wall that needs ground cover and would love some sort of privacy hedge sort of tallish plants too.

Thanks!
    JD.

• daylilyguy
    14 years ago

I've been digging and potting for weeks...I don't know where i'm going to put it all...i may need to rent a u-haul (kidding, sort of)...

would it be best to have more, smaller containers or fewer, larger containers?

i'm also happy to bring some refreshments...

So far I have:
    Husker Red Penstemon
    Lady's Mantle
    Spider red daylily (not it's real name)
    Chicago Apache daylily
    Herbs: mint, oregano, chives, jumping onions, thyme, sage
    Delphiniums (purple and white)
    Pee Gee Hydrangea
    Alba Meidiland shrub rose (a great plant)
    Several varieties of ground cover sedum
    Chocolate chip ajuga
    Honeysuckle
    climbing hydrangea
    purple cleome (I have lots of this but don't plan on bringing much)
    forsythia (lynwood gold, gold tide and dwarf arnold's promise)
    Cotoneaster (both tom thumb (if it survives) and a larger leaf coral berry)

Unless I get requests for lots of anything above, I'll just bring a sampling of all of the above.

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

Thank you JD. I will love the hostas and the lemon bee balm. I would love day lillies also. We just had our house painted, and took pictures. I realized just how bare my gardens look. Many spaces. So thank you.
    B

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of stuff!

Parking is going to be about a block or so away from my house but I have plans to facilitate transport of plants. First, there is a curb cut right in front of my mailbox. If it is vacant when you arrive, you can pull in to unload. Next I will have my wheel barrow and a cart available and helpers to assist. Last, I can make "runs" with my car to shuttle plants over to my house from the parking area. If someone has a wagon and space for it in their vehicle, it might be a good thing to bring with you.

I found the compostable plates, cups and utensils yesterday, so we are all set with that. I will email out directions soon.

WG

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay guys, I have emailed out directions and such. Jardinista and tangerinegarden, you do not have the option of emailing you in your profile, so I couldn't send to both of you. Please activate that option and let me know so I can get you the info.

WG

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

WG
    I am at BLenihan3@verizon.net
    Thanks,
    LivvyandBella

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Like daylilyguy I am begining to have more plants than room in the car. Most of my divisions are in quart and one gallon pots. Would anyone be interested in some Hellebore or Montauk Daisy seedlings/cuttings?

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd love to try my hand at Hellebores, if you could advise me on where to plant when you are here.

WG

• floral_euphoria
    14 years ago

I'd love some Montauk Daisy seedlings - if you can fit them in the car :)

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

I would love to try hellebores also.

All we need is nice weather next week.

WH,
    I just returned from the Tower Hill Botanic Garden. I loved it, thank you for telling me about it. I did love the different ornamental grass. Now I have to find out where I can find some. Great time.

• mcube
    14 years ago

runktrun, I'd love to get one of your Montauk Daisy seedlings/cuttings.

Did anyone go to tower hill's plant sale on saturday? I was out of town for couple of days and I missed it this yr.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

WG,

Are you planning on coming to pick up the phlox paniculatas this Saturday? I don't want to dig and pot them up if your not coming.

Lisa

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    14 years ago

daylilyguy

I am Very interested in both the red spider daylily and chicago apache daylily (chicago apache was on my list to buy this sping and I am so excited!!!!!)

idabean - (belatedly) - I have both the rudbekia and the impatiens set aside for you!

Thanks
    Linda

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    14 years ago

daylilyguy

I am Very interested in both the red spider daylily and chicago apache daylily (chicago apache was on my list to buy this sping and I am so excited!!!!!)

idabean - (belatedly) - I have both the rudbekia and the impatiens set aside for you!

Thanks
    Linda

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

Oops, sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. I'm heading out to sea for a month, the day after the swap, and there's just no way I can make it; I just noticed my moniker on the list of attendees.

I've been staying away from this thread so I don't get too bummed out about missing this event! Have a great time, all, and post some photos, please.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem diggin, but we will miss you!

WG

• tangerinegarden
    14 years ago

Whitegarden, I have activated my email option. Please send me directions etc. Thanks!

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys,

tangerinegarden, I am posting "from the road" and don't have the text with me, but I will send the directions to you on Saturday.

WG

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Now that I have successfully kept the birds out of my moss garden the slugs have reeked havoc, if any one has any moss they would like to get rid of I would be appreciative.

WG,
    I copied the directions you sent me and sent them to tangerine so you have one less thing to think about.

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for doing that runktrun. For moss, you can scavange around my place for sure and take some home with you on Sunday. I can set youup with small pots or even ziploc bags to get it home.

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I am so sad I won't be able to come today. I was so looking forward to it. My mother, who will be 90 in Nov., has not been feeling well since Friday eve. She seems to be better, but I don't feel comfortable leaving today. To all those ladies, Terene, Jaydeen, Runktrun who were bringing me plants, thank you so much, and I send my regrets. I hope I will be able to attend at another time.
    livvyandbella

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay guys today is the day!

The weather is going to be iffy; cloudy with rain showers starting around 6 so I thought we would proceed. Might be a relief to how HOT it was last year.

Warning about the directions - the balloons on my mailbox may not happen. Bought them yesterday and they are already dead! Will try to get more but it is not guaranteed. I will post a photo of my house for you.

livy, I can hold on to your plants for you to pick up later. Let me know. I can also take them and plant them in my grden for you to have next year.

I will check this forum often today so post with any questions or email me. I will also print out the entire thread to have here for everyone to refer to.

See you at 1!

WG

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

WG,
    That is so kind of you. I just ran home from my mothers to feed the dogs. She seems to be better today. That would be great if you could keep them for me. I would love to get down in a few days.I hope you will have pictures to post. I would love to be coming. The weather is perfect for it. Thank you to all who have brought me a plant.
    livvy