SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_seattle

Do these even taste good?

grant_in_seattle
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, I've been in the throes of planting various bare root plants, including several edibles like European pears (a nice four in one grafted tree from Raintree), apples (again, multi-grafted), AsianxAmerican persimmons, medlars, and others.

That being said, I'm always tempted by some of the 'other' fruit listed in catalogs like Raintree etc., but I don't want to grow them if they're really not tasty (as in, a recipe for juice says 'take one cup of juiced berries and add five cups of sugar' !).

Have you tasted the following, and are they something you would grow for fresh eating?? They all sound great in the catalog, but I don't want to waste my time with something that's really bland, or bitter, or needs a bunch of processing to be tasty. What do you think of the taste of:

Aronias (Aronia melanocarpa)?

Sea buckthorns (Hippophae rhamnoides)?

'Goumis' (Eleagnus multiflora)?

Blue honeysuckle (Lonicera caerulea edulis)?

I'd love to hear what you think of their taste and value as a fresh edible. All of the above are found in the Raintree catalog, and I've seen many of them in several of the nicer nurseries all over Western Washington.

I love apples, Asian and European pears, Asian and American persimmons, medlars, figs, and even paw paws (just planted two as I do at every garden), though I'm not a fan of gooseberries.

Thanks for any opinions,

Take care,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery website

Comments (17)