SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denal_gw

Happy New Witch Hazel (Hamamelis) plants

denal
17 years ago

Thanks to my CT Swap friends and other CT GardenWeb'rs, I have learned of so many rewarding perennials, creating a succession of bloom in my CT garden and some great nurseries around the state.

One of those nurseries is Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, who specializes in, mountain laurel, the CT state flower as well as other wonderful shrubs like the gorgeous magnolia and witch hazels.

In an effort to have year round interest and late winter/early spring blooms I recently paid a visit to Broken Arrow for witch hazel, which is a vase-shaped shrub with typically yellow airy floral bursts all along it's branches very early spring. Of the large variety I chose two; Hamamelis molis 'Wisley Supreme' and Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra'. Wish me luck on growing them well! I was very excited to get my first witch hazels!

Here are their catalog descriptions:

Wisley Supreme Chinese Witch Hazel (Zone 6) An outstanding selection with abundant, highly fragrant blossoms appearing over an extended period in late winter and early spring. One of the best!

Sandra Ozark Witch Hazel (zone 4) A wonderful cultivar with spicy scented, golden-yellow flowers in late winter. Following the foliage display the young foliage emerges with attractive purple overtones. In the fall the display returns with a striking showcase of yellow-orange to red-crimson autumn colors.

The staff there at Broken Arrow Nursery are as pleasant and informative as can be! I highly recommend you pay them a visit if you haven't already.

See you at the CT Swap with WildBill!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Arrow Nursery

Comments (4)