SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
still_lynnski

what to plant near oaks & arborvitae

still_lynnski
14 years ago

There's a row of arborvitae marching straight along our property line. Just in front of them on our side of the arborvitae, we have 2 mid-sized oak trees. They're about 18 feet apart, and they parallel the row of thuja soldiers. The oaks (I think they're pin oaks)are nothing special except in summer, but they are beloved by a great variety of birds, and for that we love them.

Some folks at the Landscape Design forum suggested that I need to view the neighbor's line of thuja not as a row of soldiers, but as a living green backdrop to a new garden bed. What a great change in perspective!

I'm hoping some of you local folks could help me figure out what to plant. The oak roots are pretty shallow, and I expect there's tough competition between them and the very close-by arborvitae. We have plenty of space to make a deep bed with the arborvitae as backdrop and the oaks close to the back.

We're in a beautiful natural setting, and would like a soft organic looking display. We're in western Massachusetts, just south of the Quabbin Reservoir. The whole yard is sunny except for what I've described here, and the property slopes down significantly to a lake. There are no significant plantings on this part of the property. The original owner illegally cleared all the trees from the property 25 years ago, leaving only the 2 oaks, and everything else is grass and crabgrass. This will change!

The area in question is the right-side property line when looking towards the lake from the house. It forms the SE property line. The NW property line is irregular and heavily wooded. The NE property line is the lake (lucky us)!

This is our first year here fulltime. In past years, we've hung a hammock between the oaks (extra chain for length), and although it would be nice to create a big bed surrounding a hammock, we could forgo the hammock for the sake of the future plantings. If we do keep the hammock function, we'll need to create access (stepping stones?) and I'd like to create visual privacy from the north.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)