SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirk9895

One step forward... two steps back? Can I plant near this Oak?

K
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello GardenWeb!

I have threads in a few forums here detailing my 0-100MPH entry into the gardening world :)

The goal: a privacy screen along a 4' chain link fence that ranges from 30' from my patio (at narrowest) to 40' a the widest. Complicating matters? Two mature trees, approx 30' on center from each other, just on the other side of the fence

One is a pretty large oak tree. I couldnt get the circumference of the trunk, but I doubt I'd be able to wrap my arms around it. The canopy spreads approx. 36' from the trunk to the edge of the canopy. I'd guess the canopy starts approx 40-50' up

I dont really know what type of tree the other is. Its much smaller--produces what people here call gumballs. That 'canopy' starts only 10' from the ground.

My main concern is this oak tree. I know I cant plant within 6' of the trunk. While not ideal, I think I can work with this. My plan--I thought I finally had a plan :( -- is:

• Put a border in a semicircle at 6' around my half of the tree and put river rocks there as a break
  • Plant 3 Viburnum (2 Pragense, 1 Winterthur) about 4' outside this semicircle. These would be approx 10' from the fence/Oak trunk
  • Continue with a 7' (total depth from fence) planting of 2 Skip Laurels (starting 9' from the Oak/3' from each other).
  • Put a 7' Redbud at the approx. halfway point of the two trees... 3' off the fence; 15' from the oak
  • Continue with 2 more Skip Laurel, same distance from new Redbud

So here are my questions:

1. I just learned that Oaks do NOT like extra water, once established. My plan is to have drip irrigation set up for the new plants, at least until they are established. Am I playing with fire on this? One a couple of forums, it seems that a year isnt an issue--its ongoing irrigation thats the problem? I really dont want to kill this beautiful Oak
  2. I also am learning that Oaks dont like a lot of soil disturbance. Again: am I playing with fire? Or, am I ok at this distance from the trunk? Maybe I should rethink my approach and only dig holes for each plant vs tilling up everything with a rototiller?

I appreciate any and all advice. I know nothing about this stuff. I have a week to finalize my plan before I have to get this done. I'll post pics soon.

Comments (18)