SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

One step forward, two steps back... long...

kathec
13 years ago

I'm sorry it's long. I'm wordy and I just need to vent.

We had a leak over the kitchen window, it was part of the reason we decided to go ahead with our DIY remodel. The problem (we thought) was apparently a hole in the roof decking. We could see the hole when all the drywall was removed. It took a while, but we had it repaired by a roofer and it was fine over our unusally dry fall in Texas. Just days before the new year, DH installed our new, smaller kitchen window. Other than removing some siding and trim and building a new rough opening, nothing else was disturbed. Two days later, a rain storm came through and we had a leak in the exact same place. DH went up on the roof, pulled off some siding and found wood rot above the place where the decking had been fixed. The roofer wouldn't have caught it unless he'd taken off the siding and house board (90's cheap version of house wrap). So, on New Year's Eve, we had a great company come out and fix the rotted wood. They replaced all the siding and even did the siding and trim around the new window that DH hadn't gotten around to yet. We were thrilled with the company's work and we're thinking about the next step in the project, electrical and drywall, that would really move us ahead because after the drywall comes the cabinets, etc. Fast forward to this morning, another rain storm came through, and sure enough, we've got leakage. So, the problem is probably further up on the house. We're guessing the wood rot was the symptom, and not the main problem. Our rain storm turned to snow, so it'll be a couple of days before we can start exploratory surgery.

Sigh. I know this is typical, the unexpected "stuff" that crops up. It's just not fun. We've been at this since early May. DH travels a lot, so work has been at a snails pace as it is.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with a group who've probably "been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

Kathe

Comments (9)