SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigect

property line dilemma

paigect
16 years ago

Hi all,

Hi all, I'm hoping for a little input from my favorite gardening people. :-)

My little >1/4 lot has a grass strip that is contiguous with the neighbors' front yard. It is on the opposite side of the drive from my house. I don't have a picture of it, but here is a old picture of my house showing my car in the drive and part of the neighbor-in-question's house on the right, so imagine this shared strip of land between their house and my drive, down to the sidewalk:

My property is about 5 feet wide over there. There is a giant silver maple in the neighbors' front yard that is north of my property, so it does not cast shade on my land, but it does drink up a lot of water. That leaves the conditions as full sun and good (too good) drainage. Years of trying to grow grass in this spot have been fruitless - - it always dies. The previous neighbors spent lots of time on it (including a joint project wherein I agreed to contribute to re-sodding if they maintained, which failed), and the current owners have been similarly unsuccessful.

My neighbor approached me this weekend and said that he would like to poison/kill the whole stretch, some of my land and some of his, and then till it and plant new grass seed. I am an organic gardener and the thought makes me shiver. Plus, I have kids and animals on my lawn all the time. I countered with a plan to build a shared mixed shrub border there, but he thinks that will be more work.

My thinking at this point is that I will not let him kill off my section, but will instead build a raised bed on my strip and plant peonies, grasses, and sedums. Maybe even a narrow lilac set further back from the road, since I'm pining for one. I can irrigate to get plants established and then as often as necessary after that.

Obviously, I would wait until several weeks after he is done killing his grass before I plant, since the poison will inevitable drain into my land somewhat. I'm just afraid that he will be relentlessly spraying and fertilizing his lawn bordering on my bed. Do you think my plants would hold up if the bed is raised? How high should I raise it? Any other ideas? Good neighbor relations are a priority, but so is a non-chemical environment, as much as is possible in crowded suburbia.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (18)