SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fivemonkeys_gw

Odd question about mowing/property lines

fivemonkeys
17 years ago

We moved into our current home 2-1/2 years ago and have a relatively typical suburban lot.

My neighbors on both sides mow several feet onto our property every time they mow their lawn. One neighbor uses a ride-on mower and cuts the grass so low it often leaves bare/damaged spots. They mulch our leaves in the fall on the side yard despite my (I thought, lol) pleasant statement that they surely didn't need to do so, that we really enjoy autumn yardwork with our kids (that little statement cost me about two months of strained meetings!). The other neighbor has her teenage daughter mow, and I'm guessing she mows what looks like the property line but isn't (we have a small evergreen that's about six feet inside the property line, and the girl eyeballs that instead of the larger line of shrubs just a few feet away when mowing their front yard).

I have every belief that the intentions of my neighbors are good -- one neighbors does it out of habit and feeling a particular tree is theirs (though if formally surveyed, it would likely be considered ours), and the other neighbor does it out of innocence) but I can't stop myself from wishing they wouldn't do it!

My husband states it's a non-issue -- he says he knows where our lot is, and whether the neighbors mow our property or not doesn't change a thing. So why does this bother me, and how can I change my perspective on caring for my lawn? Clearly, my "kind request" that my neighbors needn't bother themselves with mowing my lawn was met with a bit of surprise and indignation (evidently they can mow where and how they choose, even if it's directly on my property?). I want good neighbors (and currently, have them, though the other neighbors with the teenagers are in the process of selling -- I wonder if the lot will be surveyed?), but I really just want to handle my own lawn care for my own house.

Am I being petty? Should I just be grateful I have less to mow? Or is there any legal/encroachment issues that require addressing?

(Also, could someone tell me if all surveyors come up with the same info? For example, if I hire someone to come out and survey my property, will they get the same information (and subsequently, place corner stakes in the same location) as a surveyor my neighbor might hire?)

Thanks for any feedback. If it's meaningful at all, I grew up in California where there were fences at every turn. When I moved to Wisconsin, I was really surprised by the open feel of the neighborhoods. In my current home, there is a city easement due to a telephone pole located in the rear corner of my property, so a property-line fence is not available to me (even if I could afford it, lol).

Comments (67)

• fourstringdrums
    16 years ago

This is a really old thread but I thought I'd chime in. I have two neighbors who I share property lines with. The first one almost never mows, and when he does, he scalps the lawn completely. We do have markers, but fortunately, even though, he minds where his line is, so there is no debate as to where his property ends and mine begins. Not only that, but my lawn is night and day compared to his so that makes it easy as well.

My other neighbor has a fence that runs along my property line and the line of the above mentioned neighbor, and he usually mows on my side of the fence because after all, it's still his property. Not only that but he doesn't mind doing the maintenance on that side, and neither do I as it saves me from having to weed wack. I did have concern about mowing height however. We both mow high, but I think I mow a little bit higher than him, enough so that it kind of looks odd having a fence, lower grass, higher grass. So all I did was talk to him and we came to an agreement that I will mow on that side of the fence, and he will weed wack. He still has to mow on my other neighbors side of the fence because lord knows they won't do it, or they'll scalp it, so he said he would keep his blades off while on my property, but on once he gets to the other neighbor's property.

Now that just shows you what sort of neighbors you might have when they'll do something like that for you :)

• stinkytiger
    16 years ago

A "cheaper" way of getting the survey done is to try and figure out who surveyed your land in the first place. If he / she is still in business, it would be relatively easy job for her to "refresh" the boundaries because she may have the old data points / charts available. It depends how recently it was surveyed I guess, but most surveryors use lazer shots and it is all loaded into a computer. Therefore to realign the same computer grid back onto the land is a fast process and therefore hopefully cheaper ....

Best, Mike.

• Related Discussions

Please help my property line delima

Q

Comments (8)
    Perhaps you should have left the fence up for awhile longer and planted your evergreens in front of it. BTW, how wide do your evergreens get? Maybe I misunderstood, but 2 feet onto your property does not provide much of space for expansion of the evergreens from back to front. It sounded like you provided plenty of space side to side for them. Can you lasagna bed the whole thing? Put down 8-10 pages of damp paper, or better yet, cardboard and cover the whole area with a nice thick layer of mulch. That would keep it neat and grassless, but it is a big job. Mulching and re-mulching periodically would, however, help get the area ready for planting when you are ready to do it. Much as I hate using the stuff, this might be an area for landscape fabric. Use something like Round-up to kill off the remaining grass, put down the landscape fabric, and a thing layer of mulch on top. Renew mulch & respray with Round-up periodically to get rid of any weeds or plant overgrowth from your neighbor. Perhaps you local community provides free wood chips/mulch that you could use, or maybe you could do a section at a time. BTW, there is nothing wrong with leaving grass around the trees, but if you think that your neighbor will start planting around them, then you might be better off mulching the area (where you can quietly go in and occasionally Round-up any green stuff encroaching on your property).
    ...See More

progress at my property line

Q

Comments (6)
    Granite, I also thought flood... or land slide from the bank for the houses below. They should be concerned about future errosion. Not "Your" problem! If you go to the powers "That Be" in your municipality, bringing "Before and After pictures" "For Visual Effect", they should be able to tell you what the landscape plot plan is on the developers side of the fence. You can demand this information! These plans are usually discussed beforehand. Any additional layering of plants on either side of the fence would enhance both properties. If the project is sold out..that is really good for your property value. From a person that has moved around allot.........always think "Resale Value". If you can be assured of a long term plan that meets both sides needs...then go with it. If it does not meet your needs "As A Previous To This New Development Homeowner" (Before Pictures) Then by all means raise your voice! As always the squeaky wheel gets the grease! It Worked for Me!....Dianne
    ...See More

Of Swing Sets, Dog DooDoo, and Property Lines ...

Q

Comments (9)
    I have been living in my house for over thirty years we have a yard that is separated by a fence that divides my property which is small and a neighbors we are right on top of each other I raised two children here with no problems because I was considerate to my close neighbors about 8 years ago a family with 4 young kids moves in they put there four piece swing set up against the property line don’t get me wrong I like kids but there noise over welms us in our back yard we’re sitting ducks there is no level of common sense common curtesy toward us it’s all about them there big family I’ve put a lot of money in my home can’t even enjoy my outdoor space I don’t care if there children play but when there’s four and play dates its really bad we live in New York pay a lot of money to live here just got a two thousand dollar increase in taxes I’m going to seek advice from an attorney because they took my quality of life here from my home I’m sorry kids will be kids but it is there parents job to keep them under control my children were my responsibility you can not treat close neighbors like that I’m sick I feel I lost my outdoor space I hope this can be resolved some people would agree or disagree with this but I had young children on a sat or Sunday I could of put them out at 8:00 in the morning I did not they are in back of me they had two young children out on a Sat at 8:15 in the morning woke me up didn’t care dad called me a crazy lady so I let him have it good solved that problem but because young children get up early does that mean we all due we work during the week sometimes we like to sleep in these people are discussing no regard for no one
    ...See More

Odd Question about Game for husband

Q

Comments (7)
    The new Gameboy is called Nintendo DS and it comes out on Nov. 21. The DS stands for Dual Screen. It has better graphics and a stylus (pen) for drawing on the screen. It will play the Gameboy advanced as well as the DS games. The retail price will be $149. The graphics are supposed to be as good or better than on the Nintendo 64. You might also want to check, because I think there might be some way to connect the Gameboys and the Gamecube's to make them be able to use each others stuff. If you intend to get both a Gameboy and a larger one, this might make the Gamecube more appealing than the PS2.
    ...See More
  • sandradee
    16 years ago

As someone who was born and raised in a small town in WI, let me tell you that property lines in my hometown were not taken all that seriously with respect to mowing and SNOW SHOVELING.

My parents had a small piece of boulevard property bounded by the road, their driveway, the sidewalk, and the property line. The neighbors had a long piece of turf leading up to the property line. They often mowed my parents' extra piece. They also often removed snow from the sidewalk there as well, even though it was clearly on our property and our responsibility.

These kinds of things were just what a "neighborly" person did. Mowing just to the very edge of a property line was somehow considered a bit petty; after all, if your next full mower path would take you a bit over the line, then that's what you did, doing your neighbor a favor since they would have to mow there anyway.

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I share a side lawn with my neighbors. The only way to discern the boundary is a tree in the middle at the front & a chain link fence post in the middle at the back.

My neighbors mow somewhat short & don't mow all the way to the boundary, so I always get a few extra inches to mow the approximate 100 feet length.

It's no big deal. I mowed their side of the lawn all last summer after they moved in because they didn't have a mower & I guess they were too proud or shy to ask to borrow one.

But since they mow somewhat short & I was mowing high (a bit over 3 inches), I've since lowered my mower to 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 inches, which looks darn close to the height they're mowing at.

Maybe you & your neighbors can meet halfway like I've pretty much done with mine?

• juliee7777
    7 years ago

I have a similar issue, but a not-so-nice neighbor. My 90 ft driveway is adjacent with his property. Not only does he mow along that strip, he has threatened my son for two years (from age 10-12) that he would "kick his a**" if his ball rolls into his yard (i.e. what is really my yard). I have done a couple of things: 1) found the metal pole underground and marked it, 2) gave him a copy of my survey that shows the fire hydrant near the property line is fully on my property, 3) got HOA approval to put up a rock border and shrubs. When I put a string up for the landscaper, he tore it down three times before the landscaper could come for the estimate. Now I'm concerned that even if I get the landscaping he'll damage that. Even with a copy of the survey and a note to tell him that I've located the lot line with a metal detector, he continues to mow a couple feet into my lot, far past the fire hydrant which is pretty hard to dispute it's location. Any suggestions? I've considered mediation, but really think that he's not reasonable enough to agree to go or to cooperate if he did go.

• Dr. Drill
    7 years ago

Juliee,

I would fence it off, clearly your neighbor doesn't or refuses to take a hint. If it were me that's what I'd do, if that's not feasible, I'd get the city involved. Just my opinion.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree fencing off is the best solution. In addition, I would put up 2-3 security cameras pointed at the area and a few no trespassing signs.

• owlnsr
    7 years ago

Motion detection sprinkler.

• A. N.
    6 years ago

No your not being petty. I've lived in my property 23yrs. 3 neighbors living there 5 yrs are trying to move the property line to suit themselves. One mows 12 ft into my side yard now! Grrrr. That's not just a little bit.

• A. N.
    6 years ago

The one neighbor threw down dead dead trees & wood to stop the other neighbor from mowing his lawn. The neighbors who mow my lawn always always scalp it down to bare dirt. There is no lawn left

• Zach Oshinski
    6 years ago

My neighbors do the same thing, just caught him doing it again, he runs over the bits of gravel that I park my mustang in. His lawn mower throws them up and knocks the paint. You are definitely not being petty.

• Zach Oshinski
    6 years ago

I'm thinking I may be real petty and go right next to his Mercedes and do the same thing.

• HU-814433645
    5 years ago

I see a common theme in the comments: "My neighbor mows shorter than I do." These types of encroach-ers ALWAYS mow too short because they know nothing about proper lawn care, but think they do. And how else would the encroachment get noticed if not for the scalped lawn? If they mowed longer than you, it would likely be a non issue for the most part. But there is also the issue of blatant ignorance of personal space and boundaries. As if nobody should care if they take over your yard as if it were theirs. It is not petty to want your space defined.

Assume the best of intentions. Some people view lawn mowing like snow shoveling. They think grass is a pain and they are doing you some kind of favor by removing as much of it as possible (often scalping the heck out of the grass, which is terrible lawn-care practice and produces weeds). However, it is only a favor if they are mowing at the height you want and the frequency at which you mow... and you happen to be on vacation... and you asked them. Either way, they should stay the heck off your yard unless invited.

Conversely, don’t assume the best of intentions. Some people are jerks and have ZERO boundaries. They live their lives encroaching on others, taking advantage of any situation they can. Trying to grandfather-in property that is not theirs. Or assuming "they know best". To me it is inconceivable that someone would presume that I don’t mind them on MY yard, in my space, letting their dog take a crap. It is inconceivable that someone would mow 3-5 ft. into my yard and think I wouldn't mind. It is inconceivable that someone would turn around entirely in my yard with a 46" rider with the blades running… leaving big U-shapes in my lawn. (My neighbors have done all those things!) Don’t listen to people who say it is no big thing (They are either the ones guilty of it, or are passive). If it is your yard, or you simply like longer grass. So be it. Your neighbors are being extremely inconsiderate. Avoid passivity! Do something. Life is too short to be aggravated every time the neighbor mows YOUR yard.

Don't go by sod or sprinkler lines. As a former installer of both, the people that lay sod and install sprinkler systems do NOT know where the property lines are. Often sod is laid past the boundary lines for good measure, and rarely in a straight line. Yet I've experienced neighbors claiming: "I'm simply mowing my grass". Well, your grass is on MY property. In my own yard I dug up "their grass" and put in planting beds on the border. It's MY yard to do with as I please. I've seen sprinkler heads well past boundary lines too, which aren't as egregious, but neighbors should dig up and move them. Again, it is presumptuous to leave them there as if it is their property.

ACTION PLAN:

Newer neighborhoods have been surveyed and metal rods are buried in the corners of the lot. If metal survey markers are buried at the corners of the lot, you can find them with a cheap metal detector ($20-$25 at Menards, or rental store). Find the rods. They are typically buried slightly below grade. Leave them there, but pound in highly visible fiberglass stakes or posts right next to them, such as the fiberglass poles often used to mark driveways for snow removal. They are around $2 at Menards/HomeDepot/Lowes.

If you cannot find the buried metal property markers with a metal detector, have it surveyed for $300-400. Surveys are done to exacting specs to within an inch. It will be worth your sanity. Going to a psychologist will cost money too. Then put in permanent above-ground markers or posts as mentioned above. I’ve taken these steps much to my neighbors' dismay. But now you have FACTS. Facts don’t care about their butt-hurt feelings. Now you can be confident knowing you are in the right. Share the results with your annoying neighbors, in a friendly way of course. In a matter-of-fact way say: "I was concerned about encroaching on other's property when I mow and wanted to be respectful of their space, so I had a survey done. I found the property stakes and property lines. They put stakes at the corners of the boundaries, as you can see." "Don't be concerned if you see me mowing the boundaries of MY property or planting shrubs along My property lines." Now you've presented the facts and had your say.

On to the next step... planting tree/shrub boundaries works great when belligerent neighbors don’t take the hint, or ignore the facts, or become defensive. Lilac hedges (Miss Kim, Dwarf Korean require very little long-term maintenance), columnar Norway spruce, columnar arborvitae, columnar cedar, landscape edging right on the border… all work great as living fences in tight spaces. It is tough to mow over trees and woody shrubs. Plus you don’t have to look at the neighbors who annoy you as much. Be cognizant of how wide a tree or shrub will ultimately grow. Plant accordingly. However, put your edging right up to the border. Don't concede an inch. Use a string line or laser line to be exacting. If neighbors take issue... it's YOUR property. Stop feeling guilty about improving YOUR property.

Or, if you prefer, put up a fence. Fence companies typically find the exact borders of a property before doing their work. They ought to find the corner survey stakes and run string lines. Good Fences make good neighbors always holds true. Anything that is inside the border on your side... sod, trees, sprinkler heads, etc. will be enveloped. If you are like me and really don't care for fences, split-rail fence sections placed only at the corners, and a section in the middle can define the yard, look good, yet still allow the free movement of children, wildlife, etc. I've seen the split-rail fence solution and it looks great. A split rail fence accented with beds of perennials looks even better. If you are worried about mowing by it... string trimmers are relatively cheap.

You can tell I've thought a lot about this. Mainly because I have annoying neighbors who either thought my lot was theirs because of where sod was erroneously laid... or they know where the lines are but think they are "doing me a favor" (the snow shoveling analogy). I've talked to them in a calm, respectful tone. I've NEVER encroached on their yards, but I've held the lines of MY property. I've found survey markers with a metal detector. I've pounded in above-ground markers. I've put edging clear up to the border using a string line as a guide. I've planted privacy hedges. If they don't like it, I don't care. It's my property. My wife thinks I'm passive-aggressive, because she's a peacemaker. I tell her I'm just aggressively defining the borders. Because after I've presented the FACTS to them using logic and reason, I expect people to adhere to those facts, respect my space, and respect my borders. Just remember to do all of this in a CALM, rational, matter-of-fact manner. You will regret doing or saying anything in anger. But you'll also regret being a pushover and doing nothing at all.

• HU-814433645
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I see a common theme in the comments: "My neighbor mows shorter than I do." These types of encroach-ers ALWAYS mow too short because they know nothing about proper lawn care, but think they do. And how else would the encroachment get noticed if not for the scalped lawn? If they mowed longer than you, it would likely be a non issue for the most part. But there is also the issue of blatant ignorance of personal space and boundaries. As if nobody should care if they take over your yard as if it were theirs. It is not petty to want your space defined.

Assume the best of intentions. Some people view lawn mowing like snow shoveling. They think grass is a pain and they are doing you some kind of favor by removing as much of it as possible (often scalping the heck out of the grass, which is terrible lawn-care practice and produces weeds). However, it is only a favor if they are mowing at the height you want and the frequency at which you mow... and you happen to be on vacation... and you asked them. Either way, they should stay the heck off your yard unless invited.

Conversely, don’t assume the best of intentions. Some people are jerks and have ZERO boundaries. They live their lives encroaching on others, taking advantage of any situation they can. Trying to grandfather-in property that is not theirs. Or assuming "they know best". To me it is inconceivable that someone would presume that I don’t mind them on MY yard, in my space, letting their dog take a crap. It is inconceivable that someone would mow 3-5 ft. into my yard and think I wouldn't mind. It is inconceivable that someone would turn around entirely in my yard with a 46" rider with the blades running… leaving big U-shapes in my lawn. (My neighbors have done all those things!) Don’t listen to people who say it is no big thing (They are either the ones guilty of it, or are passive). If it is your yard, or you simply like longer grass. So be it. Your neighbors are being extremely inconsiderate. Avoid passivity! Do something. Life is too short to be aggravated every time the neighbor mows YOUR yard.

Don't go by sod or sprinkler lines. As a former installer of both, the people that lay sod and install sprinkler systems do NOT know where the property lines are. Often sod is laid past the boundary lines for good measure, and rarely in a straight line. Yet I've experienced neighbors claiming: "I'm simply mowing my grass". Well, your grass is on MY property. In my own yard I dug up "their grass" and put in planting beds on the border. It's MY yard to do with as I please. I've seen sprinkler heads well past boundary lines too, which aren't as egregious, but neighbors should dig up and move them. Again, it is presumptuous to leave them there as if it is their property.

ACTION PLAN:

Newer neighborhoods have been surveyed and metal rods are buried in the corners of the lot. If metal survey markers are buried at the corners of the lot, you can find them with a cheap metal detector ($20-$25 at Menards, or rental store). Find the rods. They are typically buried slightly below grade. Leave them there, but pound in highly visible fiberglass stakes or posts right next to them, such as the fiberglass poles often used to mark driveways for snow removal. They are around $2 at Menards/HomeDepot/Lowes. You may also be able to go to your county building and planning department and get a map of the lots with exact footage measurements. You may be surprised that the neighbor has been mowing 5ft. over the line and you would never have thought the survey marker would be where it actually is.

If you cannot find the buried metal property markers with a metal detector, have it surveyed for $300-400. Surveys are done to exacting specs to within an inch. It will be worth your sanity. Going to a psychologist will cost money too. Then put in permanent above-ground markers or posts as mentioned above. I’ve taken these steps much to my neighbors' dismay. But now you have FACTS. Facts don’t care about their butt-hurt feelings. Now you can be confident knowing you are in the right. Share the results with your annoying neighbors, in a friendly way of course. In a matter-of-fact way say: "I was concerned about encroaching on other's property when I mow and wanted to be respectful of their space, so I had a survey done. I found the property stakes and property lines. They put stakes at the corners of the boundaries, as you can see." "Don't be concerned if you see me mowing the boundaries of MY property or planting shrubs along My property lines." Now you've presented the facts and had your say.

On to the next step... planting tree/shrub boundaries works great when belligerent neighbors don’t take the hint, or ignore the facts, or become defensive. Lilac hedges (Miss Kim, Dwarf Korean require very little long-term maintenance), columnar Norway spruce, columnar arborvitae, columnar cedar, landscape edging right on the border… all work great as living fences in tight spaces. It is tough to mow over trees and woody shrubs. Plus you don’t have to look at the neighbors who annoy you as much. Be cognizant of how wide a tree or shrub will ultimately grow. Plant accordingly. However, put your edging right up to the border. Don't concede an inch. Use a string line or laser line to be exacting. If neighbors take issue... it's YOUR property. Stop feeling guilty about improving YOUR property.

Or, if you prefer, put up a fence. Fence companies typically find the exact borders of a property before doing their work. They ought to find the corner survey stakes and run string lines. Good Fences make good neighbors always holds true. Anything that is inside the border on your side... sod, trees, sprinkler heads, etc. will be enveloped. If you are like me and really don't care for fences, split-rail fence sections placed only at the corners, and a section in the middle can define the yard, look good, yet still allow the free movement of children, wildlife, etc. I've seen the split-rail fence solution and it looks great. A split rail fence accented with beds of perennials looks even better. If you are worried about mowing by it... string trimmers are relatively cheap.

You can tell I've thought a lot about this. Mainly because I have annoying neighbors who either thought my lot was theirs because of where sod was erroneously laid... or they know where the lines are but think they are "doing me a favor" (the snow shoveling analogy). I've talked to them in a calm, respectful tone. I've NEVER encroached on their yards, but I've held the lines of MY property. I've found survey markers with a metal detector. I've pounded in above-ground markers. I've put edging clear up to the border using a string line as a guide. I've planted privacy hedges. If they don't like it, I don't care. It's my property. My wife thinks I'm passive-aggressive, because she's a peacemaker. I tell her I'm just aggressively defining the borders. Because after I've presented the FACTS to them using logic and reason, I expect people to adhere to those facts, respect my space, and respect my borders. Just remember to do all of this in a CALM, rational, matter-of-fact manner. You will regret doing or saying anything in anger. But you'll also regret being a pushover and doing nothing at all.

• Wil Haines
    5 years ago

I like the comment about you mowing first to establish what you believe is your lot line. If one of the neighbors complains, perhaps the two or you can find the metal stake that is likely in place and resolve all of the issues.

• Blanca Scott
    4 years ago

i got a neighbor that calls the police every time we cut the grass, we cut about 10 inches of his grass, how do we resolve that. paying $500 to get it survey is just not worth it. Houston Texas

• toolbelt68
    4 years ago

Just purchase a load of boulders sized such that one person can't lift one, place them zigzag and close enough that his riding mower can't go between them, but you can with your power lawn mower. If he uses his power lawn mower then just add more rocks and let the weed whacker guy do the job.... Bowling balls placed on top of metal stakes driven deep into the ground would also work..... If that doesn't stop him, Round Up his whole lawn.

• z t
    4 years ago

When we moved into our house and started to take of the lawn, our neighbor put in ground sprinklers for his 5 feet of property line that borders our lawn. He started to notice that domination line :)

• Resa
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>My neighbor drives me crazy!!!! My husband is completely passive. I wrote her a letter and told her that we are very kind and considerate people, which is why we put our fence 4 feet away from the property line, so she doesn’t have to walk through her flower bed to get to her back yard. However, we will maintain the upkeep of our property, thank you very much! The stakes along the property line from the surveyed are still there and she mows on our side!!!! Every time I go to sit on my porch and she starts mowing, it takes everything in me to not jump off of it and confront her. My husband will not say a word. I know she is not be nice! When we first moved in and before we had it surveyed, she introduced herself to my husband over the fence and talked about the previous owners and them complaining about her...
  • Resa
    4 years ago

I was writing in irritation and did not proofread, before posting. It shows...

It should say “the stakes along the property line from the surveyor” not “serveyed”.

Also, it should say “I know she is not being nice” not “be” nice.

• Don Carter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If your a homeowner doesn't know where there property line is they shouldn't be cutting the grass! My neighbors are idiots! They cut the grass by 1 foot on my property! They also park there car back 5 feet back before entry of there driveway. Because of where they park my truck blocks my driveway when I park behind them. They deliberately do this the police have been called!

• krnuttle
    4 years ago

I am glad my neighbor is not like some who have responded to this thread. We share about 150' of lot line. There are times that I stray over the line when mowing. Usually when I am distracted, or coming around the hedge that is near the line. (Turning radius of my mower.)

One of the most ridiculous things I remember seeing was in the near by town when the neighbor would not move an 2' x 3' section of the neighbors lot between the curb, the neighbor sidewalk and the city side walk.

I feel the same thing applies when picking up pine cones from the tree that is near the lot line. When I pick up the pine cones I pick up the ones under the tree in his yard also. When I trim the rocks in the ditch on the lot line I trim all around the rocks, not just on my side.

To me it seems the good neighborly thing to do.

• danielj_2009
    4 years ago

@krnuttle: Of course your situation is the ideal. Help each other out. I have a new neighbor who I tried to help out only to get crapped on. Eventually I said "f him." I don't touch anything on his side of the property line... branches on lawn, debris, etc.. Unfortunate but sometimes you don't have much choice.

• marcgg
    4 years ago

My neighbor and I were given a strip of property by the county (a street that was never built). They claim they got the county to "give" the land (not true). It's a slope with poor drainage. The wife habitually mows three or more feet onto my side of the line. At one point, she mows about 8 feet into my property line -- where it slopes the most, so their property drains onto mine even more than it would. It's grass and wildflowers, not lawn, and she scalps it down to the soil, making the their lot and mine erode. There are holes in the ground caused or made worse by her constant mowing (she scalps it weekly, even when it rains and gets muddy). I have to worry about her or potential passersby getting a foot stuck in a hole. I finally lost it today and yelled at her to stop mowing on my property. I had nicely tokd her months ago about where are property lines are according to a county map (showed her the map). At that time, she was hitting golf balls around the lot, playing some kind of golf game. I also told her that she would have to pay for any broken windows if a golf ball strayed. She has a golf cage (further down on her property), and even when she played golf on her side, balls wind up on my property. She was very upset and seemed tearful today, and I apologized. (More like sorry, not sorry). Speak up to such people.

• Kat W.
    3 years ago

I have the opposite problem. The original homeowner next to us planted cedar trees roughly 20 ft inside their property line and ignored their property beyond that point. The previous owner of our current home maintained that 20 ft of the neighbors yard and basically claimed it for their own. When we first looked at the house we were told by the homeowner that the property line was just in front of where the cedars were planted. After purchasing the home and having a survey done we learned that 20 ft of property actually does not belong to us even though if you view the property you see where the neighbor put in fencing and planted the cedars directly behind the fence making it look like a boundry.

We are unsure of how to handle this situation.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I'd treat it as a case of adverse possession. Every state approaches this differently but in my state, after 10 years the ownership will revert to the claimant.

• Wil Haines
    3 years ago

I agree with morpheuspa.

• Kat W.
    3 years ago

Thank you for mansplaining. I never could have figured that out by myself.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

@Kat not sure who is mansplaining but gardengal is a gal. Why not just let a sleeping dog lie? I mean, if I were planning on putting in a pool or other significant improvement then I'd want to figure out what can be done. Maybe you'd have to purchase the land. They're paying taxes on it as it is now. It almost seems like the neighbor is unaware of the real property line.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The man splaining guy,morpheuspa, deleted his comments. You know, us gals, except for gardengal, (and he argues with her all the time), shouldn't post on a guy forum like lawns.

The back 10 or 15 feet of our yard is not ours and the chainlink fence is at the top of the hill. We moved in in 1980 and they haven't maintained it since we moved in. Even the fence row trees from the farm that was here before they built houses, has been maintained by us. They never even pick up a stick.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Mansplaining is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I can't tell you how many times I've asked questions in some forums and the answer I get is to consult a lawyer or a doctor, lol.

Still not sure what the original "problem" is. If nobody is making an issue of it then maybe just leave it alone.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"Still not sure what the original "problem" is. If nobody is making an issue of it then maybe just leave it alone."

Precisely!! Whether Kat decides to mow or tend to the ignored neighboring property as the previous residents did - or not - is hardly reason to call in an attorney! If she wanted to fence it off, that might be another matter.

"Mansplaining" is hardly an insult! And if it could be considered as such, it would be by the females who are constantly subjected to this patronizing attitude by misogynistic males. Who are also insistent on having the last word in any discussion.......

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Geez. I was just cruising by and noticed the sparks coming off this thread.

Political sparring and COVID have been around too long. We all need a chill pill.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

@gardengal: Kat simply said she had a problem and was not sure how to handle the situation. This implies that she is looking for advice on how to deal with the problem that the property line is not where she was told. Best solution in my book is to hire an attorney, which I think is all morph said (maybe another option is to get in touch with the town for advice). If she does not really have a problem she wants to do anything about then best solution, in I guess both our opinions, is to do nothing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

danielj, it was not what was said....only how it was presented.

Since now all of the contentious and rudely condescending posting by one flagrantly abusive member have been deleted, I am also deleting my comments in response.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago

"How many comments did you delete and edited in this thread? Quite a few. The very things you accused "misandrist females" of are the very things YOU DO."

Oh, Kat, honey, I missed this, I'm so sorry, but fortunately an admirer of mine sent it with a bit of a laugh to my personal mail. No, I never accused you or anybody else of editing or deleting stuff here, although it's interesting to note that accusatory postings actually have been deleted and that you were the first in all honesty to throw a gender-based insult. Not me. You will agree on this point, I only suggested that you see a lawyer rather than accrue unusable information on the Internet. You responded most unkindly to that logical suggestion which had not previously been made with a very unladylike accusation indeed.

However, you must understand that I'm creating a very complex physics model for a client, and that's taking up much of my logic abilities at the moment. I have a painting in my lap at the same time and that's using up most of the rest along with much of my creativity.

So you'll pardon if I do have to edit for misspelling or misstatements occasionally (as just happened) as my attention isn't fully committed and--as a general rule--never is to these forums. It really doesn't need to be for basic conversation with you and yours for obvious reasons.

But if you prefer, I can forward the invoice for my full attention, although I think you would probably find it...prohibitive...in terms of what I would require. My qualifications, which I never deign to brag about--unlike some others on these forums--are really quite advanced. Alas, you have promised not to interact so unfortunately, it seems that you will not be requesting my rates.

Again, thanks so much for the baseless and inaccurate accusations and ever so cheery tone of yours. I really appreciate the professional manner in which you handle your interactions and would strongly prefer we didn't interact in the future, just as you pointed out you wish you wouldn't interact with me. Fortunately, you did solemnly swear not to reply, so it seems, I am, indeed, arguing with myself here. Have a delightful evening as I have modeling and painting to accomplish without further distraction.

• Mila Machado
    2 years ago

My neighbores put up a fence a few months after we bought our house and they left a foot from the property line. Now every time they want to mow that foot outside of their fence they keep stepping into my property to do so. This would usually not bother me but my neighbores are always looking for ways to bother us. Is there something I can to to make them stop trasspasing?

• krnuttle
    2 years ago

Good neighbors would share the lot line chores. One foot would be half of the width to the average push mower and much less than that on a rider. Suggested solution would be you mow the strip if he trims close to the fence. .

I have a row of trees on on the lot line between their property and mine. He uses his push mower to get close to the trees, and I take care of his lot near the front of our lots and around our flower beds. When I make drastic stuff to my trees I run it past him, before doing it.

We need less division in this world, The current government and media divides us by every parameter they can think of., We must fight it starting at our property lines.

• dchall_san_antonio
    2 years ago

Mila, you could put up a block wall right on the property line giving him not enough room to annoy you.

• HU-583083460
    2 years ago

In many states there is a real estate law called "Adverse Possession ", The law states if a person maintains a partial of property over a givin amount of time, usually about 20 years, he can claim that property through the court.

• dchall_san_antonio
    2 years ago

There's more to adverse possession than that, at least in Texas. If the squatter knows the doner has a deed to the property, it is unlikely that a judge would grant the property to the squatter. I have seen it work on completely abandoned property, and I've seen it not work on abandoned property. It's really up to the county judge.

• ellatiarella (SW Mich 6a)
    2 years ago

fwiw: Contiguous to my yard (in a suburban plat) is a triangle very roughly 15 x 10 x 5 that I call "No-Man's Land". It belongs to my next door neighbor but is outside their fence. For all practical purposes, it's part of my yard. I have thought about asking them to deed it to me, although I haven't mentioned the idea to anyone other than my husband. My thoughts are: I would have it surveyed and ask the surveyor to stake it and write a legal description of the land. There is a well-qualified real estate attorney who has an office near our neighborhood, and I would ask him to prepare the documents. I would plan on paying the surveyor and the attorney, and I was thinking to maybe offer the neighbor $500. If the neighbor agrees, they would simply need to stop by the law office at their convenience and sign the deed. First step would be to run the proposal by the neighbors, see if they are agreeable, and if so, then I would contact the surveyor and attorney.

• HU-478965500
    2 years ago

My neighbor mows 10 feet into my yard. I don't mind. The only problem is that my mailbox is out by the street and looks like it is in front of his yard. I am afraid that will someday confuse the mailman. However, I do have my numbers on the mailbox.

• Little Bug
    2 years ago

I highly doubt that lawn mowing is going to confuse a mailperson. They deliver to a mailbox and probably never even look at a yard, let alone notice how it’s been mowed.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I had to chuckle at that as well :-) In many parts of the country mailboxes for a neighborhood are all grouped together and have no proximal relationship to the property they belong to. It is rare to find each property with an individual box unless very rural or very urban.

• danielj_2009
    2 years ago

In NJ suburbs most every house has its own mailbox.

• HU-461237743
    2 years ago

Something that bothers me in particular to this situation of mowing into the neighbor's property, is how so many people have a lawn service now. Those lawn services (at least in my perspective) don't show any regard for others properties.

The yards here where I live are relatively small, yet they all use huge ride on mowers. The lawn service guy is typically a lone male having his own small business, while another might have two other guys there so, again, they created a small business with their own work ethics. I don't know what governs them and speculate they just make up their own rules. The city ordinance allows them to begin at 8 a.m. and in other area's it might be 7:30 a.m..

Here, the services across the street and next door, both sides, all arrive first thing in the morning, roaring loudly, and many times there's 4 or 5 different services arround at once!

The riding mowers and the powerful blowers produce noise that is so loud, it's frightening and drowns out phone call conversations. So if the services arrive on a work day when you have a conference call, it's never good.

Eagerly, I await when these loud mowers will be against the rules and outlawed. I've been reading how California is headed that route... YAY!

I get why they look for fast ways to mow, but realistically, these lawns are not big enough to justify riding mowers. The one service is out there now, it's just him, so he spends over an hour mowing and blowing with professional equipment! We (neighbor and I) have side fencing. The riding mower can't get into small spaces or some around landscaping, so he just mows 4 feet, even 5 feet into my yard so he doesn't have to do any of her yard by hand. He mows so far in that he's mowed over 3 of my sprinkler heads, which are far enough away from the property line to not mow, but he seems to care none. I've gently spoken with him.

He blows her yard leaves up against my home side and side fence, creating a large mound. This also happens on the opposite side of my property by another lawn service. Their services cause my property to appear to be a total of at least 8 feet less wide, at times 10 feet. They mow so low they scalp the grass, and, because of the wood fencing, it's visible they've mowed plenty over the property lines. The sad part is the lawn services do it for their mowing conveniences, so it says they have no respect for my property as long as they can more easily do their jobs for the neighbors, yet the neighbors don't ever mention it to say how sorry they are, or that they're trying to remedy it. To add insult to injury, the one neighbor has been burning pinion wood in her patio chiminera that is placed so closely to my yard and blows downwind, that my home often reeks of the burning wood. The smoke fills my yard and the smell permeates into my home. She is too close in proximity to be doing that wood burning. My home will reek like it's on fire, which I used to think it was in the walls. We are not neighbors at odds, so there's nothing going on there.

She burns so much pinion wood that I wear a cloth mask to sleep in because my throat has become scratchy, and now I cough a good bit, which I suspect is due to the wood burning. My sinuses seem to be highly irritated by the smoke. My bedroom is in close proximity to her patio. I'm not far from age 70, own my home and have lived here over 25 years. Her inconsiderate styles are becoming such a pain that infringe on my life, and I'm afraid the laws don't care about me in any of these situations.

• danielj_2009
    2 years ago

I've had these problems with infringement before. I spoke to the neighbor and the landscaper and it stopped after that. Did you speak to the lady burning the wood? She simply may not be aware of the problem.

• Emma Mur
    last year

We have a neighbor who mows about 10" of our front lawn, but it's not because the two lawns are joined and he can't tell where the property line is ... there's a driveway between the lawns! We found out last summer when we put a fence in the back yard that he felt that 10" was his property. When we showed him the survey monuments, he accused us of moving them!! I guess my point is, there's really no talking to folks like that, and no point worrying about it. We think it's quite hilarious and in fact he just mowed his front lawn (and 10" of ours) this afternoon ... and it's snowing!