SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Anyone ever use clay seed balls?

topie
14 years ago

I'm doing some winter sowing of native seeds in recycled plastic containers this year, and recently came across some info about clay seed balls.

Does anyone have any experience using clay seed balls to sow native seeds? I've read a few recipes online to make seed balls from clay, compost and water. The balls are dried in the sun and then put outside on the ground. The information I've found says once the spring rains break down the clay in the balls, the seeds germinate. The balls keep the seeds from being eaten by birds and animals in the meantime.

The websites I found said this method is based on a Native American seed sowing method for corn, squash and beans. But I've been unable to find out which tribes used/use the seed ball method. I am trying to find out if this was/is a technique practiced in the arid regions of the Southwest, and/or if seed balls were also used by Northeastern tribes.

I was thinking this might be a good use for the heavy clay pockets found in some of the soil in our area...

If anyone has used seed balls or knows about the Native American use of seed balls, any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored