Tell me about lacebark elm...
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
Related Discussions
Help me decide between Siberian Elm and Chinese Elm for a hedge
Comments (20)Bonita: I see your question was from January but had a couple of thoughts even if they are a bit late. Or did you plant something already? First we have ordered TONS of plants and trees from Forest Farm (link below) and you just cannot go wrong. Everything always arrives in a very timely fashion and well packaged. I have ordered a couple of plants from Gurneys and it has always been a nightmare. I'll never do it again. If you want lush plants that are the size described order from Forest Farm. They also have an unbelievable selection. On that note, we ordered six Thuja Green Giant trees from Forest Farm this year for the purpose of creating a privacy screen in the back yard. Although I thought they perhaps could have been a bit lusher they were nice trees, about five feet tall and very healthy. I would recommend these trees for being reasonably fast growing. In my experience with the five I have from a few years ago they don't grow three feet in a year like the hype says but they are lovely, tough little trees that make a hedge. And they don't really require pruning and trimming to look nice. Hope this helps. Kate Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm...See Moreis this an american elm tree? (pics)
Comments (14)We've been planting those in our community. First of all, there's a number of cultivars of those. Some with vase shape, some with rounded weepy shape and some with wide spreading live-oakish/ yoshino cherry shape. So shape does vary. Second, the bark doesn't get showy for a while and that tree is still very young. This varies based on the cultivar of course but I do see the beginnings of the orange bark in the photos. I still think it's chinese elm but the only other possibility I can think of is cedar elm which I am unfamiliar with. Have you ruled that out?...See Morecan someone tell me about filipendula Kakome?
Comments (15)> Wendy, I think Ken does the same as you - if you see his post, he said to "never" ah... first the memory goes then the eyes go...and/or I read/skim too fast maybe it was Ken's tip that I recall not Georges. Miriam, water that doesn't linger in the rootzone is just going to be wasted. it may be too well draining or taken up by greedy competing roots. I once read a tip for astilbes in such an area that may help. I've never tried it, but it makes sense. Create a wider than necessary saucer shaped hole and line it with heavy plastic. poke a few holes in it. and plant. That should keep the rootzone moist for the individual plant. Real aggressive tree roots may still find their way in eventually, but it should slow them down and give the individual plant a good chance to get established....See MoreFicus Nitida and Chinese elm (evergreen elm)
Comments (13)Actually, I've heard stories of the ficus root systems lifting concrete driveways here in Phoenix. I intensely dislike those trees, for a number of reasons: First and foremost, they're water hogs. And if they don't get the water they want, that's when you get the wandering roots. Second, they are frost sensitive - many people ended up with dead or misshapen trees when we had the one cold night around New Years two years ago (and a particular nursery that promotes them heavily does not extend their warranty for frost). An established tree is not going to die, but you can count on having to cover it for any frost warnings for the first two winters. Third, their canopy is very dense- almost nothing will survive under it that needs sunlight - most grass will not. Fourth - these are *big* trees. Visit ASU's campus if you haven't seen a full grown one - they're right beside the ped bridge on University. They have a canopy that is 60-80' across. It'll take a few years for them to reach that size, but that's a lot of pruning that will have to be done to keep it in control, unless you have a fairly large yard. I wouldn't put it next to a pool, not only for the roots, but because it drops berry-sized fruits. Any 'evergreen' tree means that it doesn't drop all of its leaves at once, but will continue to drop them throughout the year. The Chinese Elm is an attractive tree, typically with a weeping form and interesting bark (some cultivars are called 'Lacebark Elms'). GT is right - I have no idea how it got the name evergreen. You also have to be careful about over-watering them, we lost one that was on a sprinkler watered lawn, it broke in a monsoon. These also get really tall, but not with the spread of the Ficus. Seriously, if I had a pool, I'd probably put a shade structure (pergola, patio, whatever) rather than a tree, but I know just about everyone does. Okay, enough for one night!...See More- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: Ancient and New Tell a Story in San Francisco
Chinese artifacts join 1970s art and much more in a highly personal, lovingly reincarnated 1896 home
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSWhat to Know About Adding a Reclaimed-Wood Wall
Here’s advice on where to put it, how to find and select wood, what it might cost and how to get it done
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhat to Know About Adding a Deck
Want to increase your living space outside? Learn the requirements, costs and other considerations for building a deck
Full Story
ACCESSORIESWhy You Should Forget About the Usual Coffee Table
Think in smaller multiples for a stylish and functional alternative to that monster table in the middle of the room
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Full-of-Character Furnishings With Global Flair
Layer furniture, accessories and textiles with a worldly appeal to tell your own one-of-a-kind story
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Eclectic Elegance Distinguishes a Dallas Home
Global finds, family hand-me-downs and creative DIYs converge with ease in this Texas ranch house for a family
Full Story
MOST POPULARHouzz Tour: Elbow Grease and Steel Create a Modern Texas Farmhouse
Talk about DIY. This couple acted as architect, interior designer and general contractor to build a one-of-a-kind home on a budget
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDon't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full Story
LIVING ROOMSDesign Dose: 3 Living Rooms That Caught Our Eye This Week
We wanted to learn more about these living rooms — bright, bold and rustic — uploaded in the past 7 days
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions

Gayle Burns