SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Design help needed for my dry gulch project

Jon 6a SE MA
11 years ago

I have an area where I have collected rocks of variuous sizes and created a dry gulch. In the Spring I would like to start on a project there.

I would like to plant both sides of the gully with one type of hosta all the way down. I would also like to plant lighter, smaller hostas in between the rocks to simulate bubbling water.

The Gully goes from lightly dappled sun at the top to very heavy shade at the bottom. There is moss growing on both sides, so there is some moisture. I am thinking maybe something like Queen of the Seas only smaller would be ideal. I think a large hosta like QOS itself would overpower the rocks and make the gully look too small. I also need something that likes deep shade.

Something smaller for placement into the "stream" section with wavy edges that could take the shade might work. I don't think variegated would take the deep shade or that would be my choice.

I'm very interested in what the the very inventive people here might suggest, even something other than hostas. Small ferns interspersed in the rocks???

The only renumeration for help with this design is bragging rights.

Thanks,

Jon

Comments (19)